Handgun Carry Permit Database

Guest RedDog

I still suggest that renting a billboard right beside the CA with several names/addresses of CA editors will make the point. Make take raising some cash, but I'm in for a bit to make it happen.

How do you think this Peck(er) guy would feel seeing his personal information (all public record, of course) on a nice, big billboard on the way to 'work' (I use that term loosely) every AM?

Guest HexHead
As most know the News Sentinel of Knoxville had placed a link to the Commercial Appeal's database of TN Concealed Carry Permit holders.

At 11:51 am today I received the below e-mail from Jack McElroy, editor ...

We have discontinued the link.

Jack McElroy

Editor

News Sentinel | knoxnews.com

Very good news! Now if the Commercial Appeal will see the error of their

way in originally posting the database and removes it pronto. :rolleyes:

Bull****. It just worked for me 10 minutes ago.

Guest HexHead
T

Mr. Pepe said to me (paraphrasing) ... It's because of sick people like you that I'm glad we have a 2nd amendment.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what he meant.

:rolleyes:

HexHead: I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what he meant.

RE: Pepe -"It's because of sick people like you that I'm glad we have a 2nd amendment."

I have been to. I have a common name so maybe he confused me with somebody else? I really don't know. :rolleyes:

Bull****. It just worked for me 10 minutes ago.

Editor McElroy e-mailed me early this morning saying he found the where the link was and he was "working on it". He's e-mailed me 3 times about it so I think he is sincere; some miscues inside the newsroom?

I'll revisit the site late today to see if its still there.

I still suggest that renting a billboard right beside the CA with several names/addresses of CA editors will make the point. Make take raising some cash, but I'm in for a bit to make it happen.

How do you think this Peck(er) guy would feel seeing his personal information (all public record, of course) on a nice, big billboard on the way to 'work' (I use that term loosely) every AM?

I will donate some money to this cause.

http://www.blognetnews.com/blogs/broadcast/?p=132

I didn’t hear about that; is it true?

Actually, there is some truth to this. The state did not have access to the NCIS sytem or something to that effect for over a year. Permits were issued that should not have been.

Then again, there have been permits revoked since the CA posted and updated "the outrage". Guess what, those people are still shown as having permits.

The state has straightened out the background check system, but the CA with it's snapshot in time database still represents a skewed view of the facts.

I tried to get all the advertisers on their site and wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam

Will you please stop advertising on the Commercialappeal.com. Until they remove the database of law abiding citizens who have a handgun carry permit. Thank You for your time.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

We still don't have a dedicated 1-2 page site with the newspaper staff's information and maybe a wordpress blog updated with fiskings of their backpedaling and excuses?

Frak it, I'm going to go reg a domain. PM me if you want to coordinate on this.

We still don't have a dedicated 1-2 page site with the newspaper staff's information and maybe a wordpress blog updated with fiskings of their backpedaling and excuses?

I do not have a dedicated site of it, no, but I do have systematic fiskings of just about every single one of the articles they put up concerning the HCP database, a listing of the staff's personal information, and everything else, all interlinked and cross-referenced at my personal site. In fact, if you do a Google search for "commercial appeal handgun carry permit database", my site is the third to come up. With "commercial appeal staff", I am sixth.

Trust me, their idiocy is getting exposure.

I've done viral marketing professionally since 2006.

We are taking this up to eleven.

*shrug*

Knock yourself out. My latest fisk is here, and the second-to-last paragraph has a full listing and linkage of every other post I have written beforehand regarding the Commercial Appeal.

You are free to use/copy-paste it, just please backlink and provide credit.

SOOOOOOOOO . . . .

The proper response is to contact your legislators and tell them you do NOT want a 2500 dollar fine (as currently proposed), you want carry permit listing removed from Tennessee Open Records Act.

Accessible by law eforcement only

This exact same thing happened when I lived in Virginia a couple of years ago. The Roanoke newspaper (which is VERY anti-gun) published the names of the law-abiding handgun permit holders as a followup to the Va Tech shootings (http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/108160). You can guess how that went over. There was a well-documented case of a woman who had a permit and was in hiding from an abusive ex-husband...until her name and address was published. She had to move.

After advertisers and the newspaper (the reporter in particular) got "contacted" by thousands of permit holders and supporters, the paper removed the list and issued an apology...sort of: http://www.roanoke.com/gunpermits/

Like here, the legislature got involved and passed a law to shield the list from public view.

The public does not have a right to know everything that the government does. Consider that the State also issues a permit or license to people to drive and register a car. Correctly, this information is shielded frrom public view to prevent a stalker from identifying potential victims simply by looking up ther license plate number.

Edited by Auburn
Guest RISC777

Can the CA not understand - people are people, someone will shoot someone with or without having a carry permit, people carry firearms of all types on a regular basis without a carry permit.

'Regardless of a valid HCP or not, someone's going to shoot someone.' Putting up a searchable online database does not one thing to eliminate the fact that someone will be shot by another.

Media. Politics / Politicians. Take everyone in office out, put homeless and the very poor in charge and let them have a go at running things.