Colt is out of the AR business.

37 minutes ago, m16ty said:

Well, looks like Colt has again bowed down to the anti-gun crowd.

I never cared much for Colt ARs anyway, with their weird pin sizes and sear blocks. Now, I think I’ll just pass on anything Colt, just for principle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/19/business/colt-ar15/index.html

What principle?  Colt has been in financially precarious waters the past few years and the AR market is flooded.  It makes perfect sense to get out of ARs for the time being.  Their timing is unfortunate because it helps feed the loony left's narrative that retailers, manufacturers, and gun owners all support bans, but nothing indicates that Colt has bowed to pressure from the anti-2A crowd. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

What principle?  Colt has been in financially precarious waters the past few years and the AR market is flooded.  It makes perfect sense to get out of ARs for the time being.  Their timing is unfortunate because it helps feed the loony left's narrative that retailers, manufacturers, and gun owners all support bans, but nothing indicates that Colt has bowed to pressure from the anti-2A crowd. 

They have bowed to the anti-gunners for years, with their sear blocks and big pins. Also, there not going to quit making ARs, they just aren't going to make any for the civilian market. 

On 9/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, deerslayer said:

I agree with you, it doesn't make good business sense when there's over 400 AR manufactures out there.  I used to live in New England, and know people working for Colt, S&W, Kahr, NEF, etc...  I heard from a guy at Colt that said that why make a product that doesn't sell in this flooded market?  They have other firearms that sell well and they can focus on those, revolvers, 1911, etc... The lines are expensive to run and the LEO/Military contracts are fine enough to use those lines for those markets.   As you said, they have been having financial issues for quite some time, so why waste money on something that's not making them money.

That's what a business is there for, to create a product that will sell, if not, they get out, or change directions.   

• Like 1

With their lips firmly planted on the anti-gunner's backside they have lost a lot of sales. I quit buying Colt products the last time they did this. The on;y one I still have in my collection is a target model that I bought before they started this crap the first time, and it's going to go  the first time I get a chance.

• Admin Team

For department acquisitions, you can probably apply the old adage, “nobody ever got fired for buying IBM” to the Colt 6920.  

It’s a fine, you know what you’re getting platform.  

For the casual user, you’re likely better served from both features and price perspectives - and maybe a quality perspective from any several manufacturers.  

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

For department acquisitions, you can probably apply the old adage, “nobody ever got fired for buying IBM” to the Colt 6920. 

Maybe so but you can also say they needlessly squandered taxpayer and customer dollars in both cases.  We all know the result of that.

Thankfully, some agencies are more fiscally responsible and are sourcing more appropriately priced AR weaponry.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

It’s a fine, you know what you’re getting platform.  

That's pretty much a primer for government purchasing 101...no imagination, using prior purchases to guide current ones, technically acceptable product.