Henry Smoothbore .22

C-pher

Ok, I can’t be the only one excited about this rifle coming out.  

Granted, I don’t live on a farm, and need a good snake gun. But I’m kind of a .22 whore and loves me some lever guns.  

Its listed with an MSRP of 420, so I’m guessing we’ll see it closer to 350.  

And when my wife asks me how many guns do I really need?  I answer, “I don’t know, all of them?”

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/garden-gun-smoothbore-22/

Edited by C-pher
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, 1madss said:

Wonder if it is just a smooth bore or a Routeledge. Hopefully the latter.

I don’t know, I would have thought If it was, they would have listed it as such.  Don’t you think?  But now that’s a good question...

Edited by C-pher

Ultimate carpenter bee gun.  Other than that, I see no point, as it won't do anything that a number of other .22s that I have can do. This isn't even a yard gun.  .22 shot shell has a very limited range, its handy if you need to kill a rodent indoors, but other than that it's a pretty useless round. 

6 hours ago, dralarms said:

I guess want would closer. When I’m in the yard doing yard work I have a judge on my hip. Those 410 shells will sure tear something up. 

Years ago, my fatherinlaw used a single shot 410 on critters around here. It did the job.

Now, wit the neighborhood being inside Davidson County, I'm using my pellet rifle. But not by choice.

19 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I’d have fully expected Henry to have done their homework here.  

That’s cool.  

I don’t know that I’m crazy about that ash furniture- but I’d like to hold one. 

Not to crazy about the wood either...or the rifle itself as I have no need for a smooth bore .22.

However, I do wonder how how crimped shotshells perform in a rifled barrel as opposed to CCI’s capsules.  

• Admin Team
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Not to crazy about the wood either...or the rifle itself as I have no need for a smooth bore .22.

However, I do wonder how how crimped shotshells perform in a rifled barrel as opposed to CCI’s capsules.  

Yeah, so would I.

Today's CCI shotshells really aren't the equivalent of the old crimped shotshells.  I think you can still get the old Super-X crimps?

That said, this is a well understood design. There have been thousands and thousands of these things sold historically.

I don't really have much of a need for it, either. But I can imagine a time in my life where hearing, "take this and go wear out pests in the barn" would have brought me a heck of a lot of joy.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I have seen a few shotgun videos comparing rifled barrels to smooth with regular shotgun shells. The effect seemed to be similar. 

I all ways hoped Shaw or some other barrel makers would have offered .224 smooth bore barrels just for custom builds. Now if Henry wants to nearly double the effective range of that gun, I personally would take it in 22mag. I'v dusted a lot of wasp nests and a few hornet nest if range was right with 22mag shot. Smooth bore would be outstanding in the mag. Doing hornets with the mag has the power to blow the crap out of their nest..... close up, but clearly chancy at best. 25 feet with the mag and they are worm meat and you are absolutely safe. Good idea, but it should have been the mag. Carpenter bees are a lot of fun with a revolver but the spread makes for a lot of dead on misses. The 22LR isn't even close to the shreading power of its big brother

Edited by xtriggerman
On 9/22/2019 at 5:39 PM, Garufa said:

Here you go.  Compared with an H001.

That's a pretty good visual description of the differences.  I do think, as mentioned above, that a 22mag may be better for those nests, but I still think that this would be a fun rifle to have for options if you have some land.  

It has it's uses, and as I said before, I don't have a need...this is more of a, "I love .22s and lever guns." type of a thing.  

I also like the difference is decibels between this and a .410.  The fact that it's much quieter is good for in closer housed neighborhoods. 

• Like 1
On 9/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, MacGyver said:

Yeah, so would I.

Today's CCI shotshells really aren't the equivalent of the old crimped shotshells.  I think you can still get the old Super-X crimps?

That said, this is a well understood design. There have been thousands and thousands of these things sold historically.

I don't really have much of a need for it, either. But I can imagine a time in my life where hearing, "take this and go wear out pests in the barn" would have brought me a heck of a lot of joy.

Federal still makes the crimped style with a smaller shot charge