Federal Prohibited Persons Idictments

Ski

The local U.S. Attorney announced several indictments related  to possession of firearms by prohibited persons.  Most were felons, but some were prohibited due to misdemeanor domestic violence convictions.  Considering the violent crime rate in Memphis, I would imagine this is just a drop in the bucket.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/09/26/federal-grand-jury-indicts-memphians-firearms-charges/

Have there been similar stories of stepped-up enforcement in area parts of the state?

I have a feeling you could multiply by 10s and you just might be close to the real number. I feel that the system that makes up the time that a a person has to spend in prison is messed up. If J walking carried the death penalty crime would go away. Yes that is a bit extreme, but think about it. We have become soft on crime, repeat offenders are a problem.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, RED333 said:

I have a feeling you could multiply by 10s and you just might be close to the real number. I feel that the system that makes up the time that a a person has to spend in prison is messed up. If J walking carried the death penalty crime would go away. Yes that is a bit extreme, but think about it. We have become soft on crime, repeat offenders are a problem.

I agree with you 100% on the repeat offenders issues but my problem is how soft they are on all of these kids that are committing adult crimes with firearms and getting a slap on the wrist and sent back out into Society to just repeat the crime again. They are becoming the repeat offenders more and more and not being held to a higher standard than they have been all along.  The courts need to come down much harder on them than they did say 20 years ago...…….JMHO

• Like 1

I doubt those are a result of any stepped-up enforcement of gun laws. It appears to me most of those were convicted felons or violent offenders that were caught in a drug deal or stopped on a traffic stop. Might be stepped up enforcement in some areas of the city where the residents don’t feel safe. Most of those arrested aren’t going to trial; they are caught and are going to cut the best deal they can. Unfortunately, that’s give and take and anymore the Prosecutors “give” too much to clear cases.