Knox County Coyote Problems

We live in West Knoxville and have noticed a couple of coyotes hanging around. Several homeowners are afraid for their small animals and children. Animal Control and Wildlife Services both declined to help with the problem. I am aware that there is no specific season or bag limit on Coyotes. I am looking for someone that would want to come and trap or safely hunt the coyote(s) before someone's pet or small child is harmed.

I have personally come face to face with it 4 times in the last week and while I was not concerned for my safety, my neighbors dog was definitely in danger had I not been outside to deter the coyote. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you.

What are the firearm laws in the county, city about discharging in side the limits of the city? Sounds like you need a 12 ga shotgun loaded with heavy shot, depends on how close you are the the coyote.

Justification for evil black rifle open carry?

2 hours ago, RED333 said:

What are the firearm laws in the county, city about discharging in side the limits of the city?

Self defense, none.

Going out with intent to kill? 

"Well officer, I am out hunting those high brow Farragut Yotes and I was using this here yorkie-poo for bait."

5 hours ago, sunshine1618 said:

I am looking for someone that would want to come and trap or safely hunt the coyote(s)

Someone has got to have a cool night vision set up to help improve child and pet safety.

• Haha 1

We are in the county, not the city limits. I was told that it was legal to shoot it during the day but not at night. I am new to hunting and do not personally feel comfortable shooting it myself in a neighborhood setting. I am simply looking for suggestions from someone who has experience with this type of situation.

14 minutes ago, sunshine1618 said:

We are in the county, not the city limits. I was told that it was legal to shoot it during the day but not at night. I am new to hunting and do not personally feel comfortable shooting it myself in a neighborhood setting. I am simply looking for suggestions from someone who has experience with this type of situation.

We've been dealing with these issues for years in knox county.  many neighborhood pets been taken.  There are rules about hunting within certain distances of homes, so that may limit your ability to shoot them.  Of course you can shoot, shovel and STFU.  

Have you talked to TWRA? What part of the county do you live in?  

Coyote hunting his open year round with no limit.  You can hunt at night but cannot use predator calls or center fire ammunition.  So you can used a shotgun or 22mag if you can locate them

• Like 1

I'm assuming that if you have enough room to shoot them then you have enough room to trap them.  Get a hunting/fishing license and buy a dozen snares. Read the game laws and/or talk to a TWRA officer. Set an 11" loop 11" off the ground on well known travel lanes. There are tons of youtube videos to guide you in the right direction. I've been trapping them for the last 10 years with pretty good luck.

Make sure you read ALL the game laws. Deer stops, cable size, and name tags and such. It will be hard to find people to trap them for you unless you pay them because the traps have to be checked every day. And that takes time and money. 

And one more thing. Don't let people put pressure on you to do something illegal because they "hate those dang things." I've been asked to do some crazy stuff that I refused to do.  

LMAO @TripleGGG.... 

I understand OPSEC, but could you narrow down the West Knox part? I'm a little west of you and we have coyote around, too. Fortunately I already talked to TWRA, and if its harassing my family, pets, or livestock, the 2 gentlemen who cover Roane county said Im free to do whatever whenever...

I've seen one here repeatedly, lost 4 chickens this year (cost of free ranging). I agree with the airsoft idea, or msybe a supressed .22? I mean, folks here are really good at helping one buy toys! LOL! If population is that dense, I'm surprised the coyote is so bold... THAT would make me nervous. Mine is very shy.

Interested to see how this pans out? I have a friend who traps, I reached out and will let you know if he is interested.