Sturgill Simpson’s home invasion story

• Moderators

Sturgill Simpson on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast relayed his home invasion/burglary  experience from earlier this year at his Nashville home and how the follow on events affected him. 

*Language warning as Sturgill is a fan of F-bombs* 

There is a lot to chew on here. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
20 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

A lot of people wouldn't had his restraint. 

Or his heart and compassion for the man who had wronged him. 

That restraint was birthed from a quick and accurate assessment of the situation at hand. That compassion only comes from a good heart.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Moderators

One thing that sticks out to me was Sturgill’s assessment process. He wasn’t concerned with if it was a legally good shoot, he knew it was. He was assessing “is this person a threat” and that says he was not asking “can I shoot” but asking “do I have to shoot” instead. Luckily for the burglar, Sturgill concluded the answer was no. 

I really liked how he laid that out in that manner for Joe’s audience. 

2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

One thing that sticks out to me was Sturgill’s assessment process. He wasn’t concerned with if it was a legally good shoot, he knew it was. He was assessing “is this person a threat” and that says he was not asking “can I shoot” but asking “do I have to shoot” instead. Luckily for the burglar, Sturgill concluded the answer was no. 

I really liked how he laid that out in that manner for Joe’s audience. 

I'm not gonna second guess his actions, as I wasn't there, but it seems to me that it could have turned bad quick.  I've seen, as many of you probably, videos with situations where a gunfight ensues in the blink of an eye.  If you have the time, sure, take your time, but be prepared to act.  If alone, I may give someone the benefit of the doubt, but if the house is occupied by my family I doubt I'll take that chance.

Ok, so just got done watching this freaking video, and...wtf?  Really?  Douchbag breaks into that many houses, putting himself, and anyone unlucky to be home in mortal danger and he feels sorry for him, says the "system" is putting them into these situations???  I applaud him for making the conscience decision not to engage, but to feel sorry for him, nah, sorry, not after he, twice, knowing that the dog, at least, was there, broke into his home.  By him making the decision to return, he was willing to take care of the dog, by what ever means he could return with, what would he of done if the rolls were reversed? 

Here is another no shoot video, you tell me that things couldn't have turned out much worse for these guys.  Punks, IMHO would have no problem killing or seriously injuring the home owners, so by not taking care of business, they may then go and do it to someone else, who may not have the means to defend themselves, so they suffer the consequences of your inaction.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/home-invasion-stopped-with-ar-15-ruger-ar-556-video/#axzz61AU1fZ1U

Edited by Omega
Add more of my 2¢
  • Like 1

I'm a huge fan of Sturgill's music (everything up to his recent offerings anyway), but not a huge fan of him as a person, he has some lefty tendencies and supports some gun control.  I wouldn't hold it against him as much if he didn't use his notoriety to promote it. I'm sure other artists that I like feel the same way, but realize that they are entertainers and not political personalities, and by refraining from taking a political stance they don't put themselves out there for that scrutiny. And for that I am grateful.

https://www.spin.com/2017/11/sturgill-simpson-busking-cmas-gun-control-gay-marriage/

Maybe this guy should try locking his back door? 🤔 Why have an alarm if you aren't going to use it? I found the end of this to be very strange. "They are throwing this kids life away". No they aren't. The POS committed 14 burglaries. He threw his life away.

I appreciate the fact that he didn't shoot him when he knew he could have but it almost seems like he's making excuses for this guy. 

• Like 1

I like his perspective at least.  I agree that many people by 25 have been afforded very few opportunities to chose or even discern right from wrong.  I'm sure the guy knew it was wrong to break into 14 homes (probably many more) but when faced with desperation people often chose wrong.  

I like that he was aimed and ready yet made verbal contact with the intruder, he was ready to defend his home but gave an option.  If someone breaks into my home and we have the choice for them to leave vs a gunshot scene in my living room, I sure hope they leave.  I'm not too shortsighted to see that there is risk in this approach and if my kids or wife are home it changes the scenario for sure.  

I'd love to see a video of Sturgill visiting this guy in prison.  We can all sit and talk about what could or should be done, but actually doing something to make a positive impact in someones life is a massive difference.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I like his perspective at least.  I agree that many people by 25 have been afforded very few opportunities to chose or even discern right from wrong.  I'm sure the guy knew it was wrong to break into 14 homes (probably many more) but when faced with desperation people often chose wrong.  

I like that he was aimed and ready yet made verbal contact with the intruder, he was ready to defend his home but gave an option.  If someone breaks into my home and we have the choice for them to leave vs a gunshot scene in my living room, I sure hope they leave.  I'm not too shortsighted to see that there is risk in this approach and if my kids or wife are home it changes the scenario for sure.  

I'd love to see a video of Sturgill visiting this guy in prison.  We can all sit and talk about what could or should be done, but actually doing something to make a positive impact in someones life is a massive difference.  

I had exactly the same thought. Very thoughtful, he knew the rules and the consequences and made a good decision. Thankfully he wasnt forced to make the other choice.  I'd feel compelled to visit the guy in prison and make an effort to get to know him.  He's got a great opportunity to have a huge positive impact and turn a life around. 

• Like 1

I think Sturgill made the right choice also. He does not have to deal with shooting the guy, nor maybe even killing him.  Death caused by you, is hard to live with.  Most times, it gets harder as one ages, even if justified. 

As far as the perp goes, he seems to be bent on a life of crime(15 home invasions). It is not hard to find a job in Nashville. It would be interesting to see if one could give the guy a break, and he actually took it, or would he take advantage of one who offered the break.  Also he could be a dope head needing a lot of money to support his habit. Who knows? 

10 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I watched the video but, I've never even heard of him. I don't listen to Country music unless its classic.

I would recommend spending a bit of time on YouTube listening to him.  There is a whole movement in country music that pays respect to classic country music, and you don't hear any of it on the radio.  His most recent album is whacky and not to my taste, but some of his previous albums such as, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, A Sailors Guide to Earth, and High Top Mountain are country to the core.  

I don't judge whether or not an artist is worthy based solely on them writing their own songs, but it's bonus points if you will.  Sturgill writes his own stuff.  

Check this out

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

His opening statement indicates that if you were to have shot the person who's broke into your home twice then you are a psychopath in his eyes. What an asinine statement to make.

He should really stick to singing and stay away from political commentary. 

18 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

His opening statement indicates that if you were to have shot the person who's broke into your home twice then you are a psychopath in his eyes. What an asinine statement to make.

Oh, I don't know. I think you'd have to be a psychopath to intentionally shoot your friend.

And, I mean, what else would you call someone who's broken into your house twice?

2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I took it to mean that if you shot someone who did not present  threat you were a psychopath.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

I took it to mean that if you shot someone who did not present  threat you were a psychopath.  

This is similar to my interpretation of that statement. The way I interpreted it was that it was simply a judgment on himself. He determined for himself that the burglar wasn’t a threat, at that moment he was left with a decision. He found himself in a position where he could have shot someone, but he didn’t have to. And by choosing not to shoot that person even know he knew he could have and been legally covered, he learned something about himself. 

• Like 2

Had never heard of him, but yea, I like the sound.

But, as was stated above, he really should stick to singing.  I did catch the psychopath part, and took it to mean anyone shooting a thief was one.  Though I can see it may also mean just him, without any qualifiers I still think he meant everyone.

On 10/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, Erik88 said:

Maybe this guy should try locking his back door? 🤔 Why have an alarm if you aren't going to use it? I found the end of this to be very strange. "They are throwing this kids life away". No they aren't. The POS committed 14 burglaries. He threw his life away.

I appreciate the fact that he didn't shoot him when he knew he could have but it almost seems like he's making excuses for this guy. 

We don't know everyone else's story.   And it's always easy for us to judge others based on our morals and upbringing.  This kid could be the product of a cokehead hooker and a murderer.   I'd say that if all he is doing is breaking into houses, by comparison, he's pretty well grounded.   The truth is, we don't know.    Maybe he needs some guidance that he never received.   And Sturgill isn't to blame because the door wasn't locked.  That's victim shaming.   

2 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

We don't know everyone else's story.

I recently listened to a podcast about Ed Edwards, a serial killer. He had a terrible childhood. That doesn't excuse his behavior, it only explains it. My point is, having a crappy childhood is not an excuse to break into homes.  If they know about 14 break-ins, he likely did a lot more than that.  Sturgill's comments that the system is "throwing his life away" is ridiculous. I have no doubt the kid needed guidance, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass. Lot's of people grow up in bad situations and go on to make a decent life. My dad is a good example. 

2 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

And Sturgill isn't to blame because the door wasn't locked.  That's victim shaming.   

I disagree. The man had a break in, and then left his door unlocked the very next day. That's stupid. He also had an alarm he apparently does not use. I'm simply pointing out how flawed this guys home security plan is. 

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I recently listened to a podcast about Ed Edwards, a serial killer. He had a terrible childhood. That doesn't excuse his behavior, it only explains it. My point is, having a crappy childhood is not an excuse to break into homes.  If they know about 14 break-ins, he likely did a lot more than that.  Sturgill's comments that the system is "throwing his life away" is ridiculous. I have no doubt the kid needed guidance, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass. Lot's of people grow up in bad situations and go on to make a decent life. My dad is a good example. 

I disagree. The man had a break in, and then left his door unlocked the very next day. That's stupid. He also had an alarm he apparently does not use. I'm simply pointing out how flawed this guys home security plan is. 

Maybe the system could be geared more towards rehabilitation rather than incarceration.   It's clear that the current system isn't a deterrent.  

I had a motorcycle stolen from my carport Erik.  I now keep a motorcycle in my carport.  I guess I deserve to have it stolen again.   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Capbyrd said:

Maybe the system could be geared more towards rehabilitation rather than incarceration.   It's clear that the current system isn't a deterrent.

You and I have both agreed on this in the past. The current system is not working. 

1 minute ago, Capbyrd said:

I had a motorcycle stolen from my carport Erik.  I now keep a motorcycle in my carport.  I guess I deserve to have it stolen again

Now that's a stretch. I never said Sturgill deserved it. But leaving your door unlocked while you sleep, the NEXT DAY, is stupid. He's a slow learner it seems.