Ronald_55

Colt 1911 Government .45 info

Out of the blue my Dad asked me for help to locate a Colt 1911 Government Model.45 for a friend. Particulars have been pretty limited so far.  I am trying to get more details second hand. I have Googled looking for online retailers. I am not a 1911 expert, but I know a bit. Just difficult to narrow down search results with so many options in 1911s

Anyone know anywhere that is better than others to find a deal on one?

Thanks

Honestly that seems similar to asking, hey, can you pick out a screwdriver for my friend...no use case...but I want it to be a good one. You could drive yourself insane. Can pops put you in contact? Best to get it straight from the horses mouth with so many generic references being made with the 1911 being one of the most copied guns of all time.

Are they near you? You have Bud's and Smokey Mountain just down the road. I'd suggest (if they are reasonably close) that they make a little road trip. If he doesn't know what he really wants, may be enlightening.

• Like 1

Get your hands on an excellent condition Colt Mark IV Series 70 circa 1976 ish.... no regrets and you won't find them better than that...

@Erich Yeah, I am trying to get more details, but he is being slow to respond and I have not had a chance to call. 

@BHunted yeah if the price fits, I would suggest something along that lines. I saw a 1933 1911a1 for sale somewhere that caught my eye. Too rich for my peasant blood though. The unit price range will probably be the key factor

what is your spending limt. 

20 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

@BHunted yeah if the price fits, I would suggest something along that lines. I saw a 1933 1911a1 for sale somewhere that caught my eye. Too rich for my peasant blood though. The unit price range will probably be the key factor

What is your price limit? Would help.... 

54 minutes ago, BHunted said:

what is your spending limt. 

What is your price limit? Would help.... 

Yep. Ways fun trying to pry details from someone who wants you to help them. 

So far no info coming back to me. So I am waiting until I get more details.

If he wants a 1911 .45, get a real 1911 or 1911a1.  The later series 70, series 80, and 1991 are not in the same class for quality and reliability.

For a less expensive option, go with an Argentine m1927.  Many were made by Colt, the rest on Colt machinery in a factory set up by Colt in Argentina.  Parts are completely interchangeable with a Colt 2911a1.

Looks like quite a bargain on a Colt Government Model here in the classifieds.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Looks like quite a bargain on a Colt Government Model here in the classifieds.

I passed that one along to him. Not been able to get him on the phone to discuss things though. 

If I had not just dropped waaayy too much on car repairs right after paying for renovations, I might think about that ine. 

Edited by Ronald_55
Extra

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TGO David
      Something that I discovered recently was that, surprisingly despite the smaller size of my hands, the Glock 19 platform that I had carried religiously for nearly 20 years really wasn't the best platform for me.  Shocker!
      What I discovered was that the longer grip length of the Glock 17 not only put the grip's palm swell/hump in a location that fit my hand better, but I also benefited from using the the medium back strap as it gave me more surface area to get my support hand onto.  More support hand on the grip itself and not overlapping my dominant hand fingers means more actual contact with the gun and therefore better recoil management, less muzzle rise, and faster split times.
      My world had basically been turned on its ear.
      While I still wasn't a fan of the additional length of the 17 for IWB carry, especially with a compensator hanging off the end of it, the Glock model 45 suddenly made a heck of a lot more sense to me than it ever had previously.
      Consequently, I've started to part ways with most of my Glock 19s and have picked up two G45s as their replacement.  The added bonus of course is that the G45's slide is the same length as the G19's, so all of my holsters work just fine with them.

This gun is my "pimped out" carry rig for when I'm feeling a little extra sassy and don't mind a little extra bulk on me.  I sent the slide off to DP Custom Works and had Doug mill it for an RMR and mill the front top of the slide with extra cocking serrations to make press-checks a little easier.  While he had the slide, he re-finished it in a tough black nitride, which looks fantastic and isn't as slick as the factory Gen 5 black nDLC.
      I added a ZEV Gen 5 curved trigger with their tuned ZEV Pro connector, ZEV suppressor height sights, a Silencerco threaded barrel, a Parker Mountain Machine comp, and hung one of my 1,000 lumen Surefire X300-UB lights off of it.
      The whole thing rides very easily in a Squared Away Customs "FOXTROT" outside the waistband holster or a Legacy Firearms Company light-bearing CRONUS inside the waistband holster.

As for how it shoots, I've got the dot set for a 10-yard zero and stacking rounds in a cloverleaf within a 1-inch circle at that distance isn't a difficult task for me.

• By Ronald_55
      I saw someone mention an 80% revolver on another forum. Anyone ever heard of something that resembles This? Of course they had no links or detailed info on it.

• By DaveTN
      This is pretty cool. I don’t shoot competitively anymore, so I can’t justify the cost of one of these, but to me they are an excellent example of the shift in gun making.
      There is very little old school conventional “Gunsmithing” going on at Ed Brown. But there is a lot of high performance, high accuracy machining by quality Machinists, Programmers, and QA inspectors.
      I’ve spent my life in manufacturing. I’ve heard it all like “Things aren’t made as good as in the old days”, something must be right because “It is CNC machined” or something is special because it was “Designed in CAD”. I just smile when I see these kinds of statements.
      Truth is, we have far surpassed any that could be done quality wise in “the old days”. Unless someone is doing “One off” protype work or working in their garage; most everything is “CNC Machined”. And everything is “Designed in CAD”.
      Does that mean everything today is better than it was in the past? Absolutely not. These technologies still rely on the Machinists and the programmers (many times the same person) using them. CNC machines can make junk, and they can make it fast. These CNC machines only do what they programmer tells them to do. If he programs the part wrong; the machine will make it wrong. CNC machines are high drama. They require Machinists and Programmers that are on top of every little detail, every single minute. They require inspectors that are checking all critical dimensions, all the time.
      If you have high accuracy, quality machines, and you have the best Machinists and Programmers. You can make extremely accurate parts that don’t require any hand fitting; they fit together to extremely tight tolerances and work every time. In 1992 Ed Brown quit gunsmithing and went strictly design and manufacture. He retired at 65 and turned the business over to his family. With what he put in place; it can carry on.
      So, what does this mean to you? Well, it means you can buy a high-quality competition for gun for $2K instead of 10K. It also means if you need a replacement part, it can be shipped to you and dropped in without requiring a gunsmith.
      Sorry for the trip down memory lane, this isn't something new, but when I saw this; I saw a good example of a positive change with people involved that are dedicated to quality. I don’t own one of these guns, but I’d sure like to; I bet they are really something.
      Why doesn’t Smith & Wesson or Glock or anyone else do this? Because then they can’t sell their guns for $300-$400. But change is happening on a daily basis; someday they will.
      https://www.edbrown.com/fueled-series/

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines