Back Yard Range

pop pop

I have had bad luck with the grass stand on my newly constructed back yard shooting range. We had to leave shortly after I finished the grass sowing and we have had 4 weeks of 90+ degree days without any rain at all. We got 1/2 inch of rain the day after I sowed the seed and not one sprinkle afterwards. The grass sprouted with a good stand then perished in the hot dry days to follow. Only have a very light bit of grass left.

My sister gave up her fight with cancer 3 weeks ago and when we were called we left immediately for Sebring Fla, and only got 2/3 of the way down there before she passed. She was my first sibling that left our family. I still have 2 more sisters, one older(78) and one younger(69) than I. Death is hard, but one simply must be prepared for it, however those left behind have a hard time afterwards. She is not suffering any longer. Cancer can be very bad for quiet a while.

Went out yesterday and resewed some of the spots that had nothing on them. Got so hot I had to quit at noon(99 yesterday afternoon). Doing some more sowing this morning and put some fertilizer over the area also. Expecting rain Sunday(70%) and Monday (60%). Also expecting fall like temps for a while. We have had 30 days of above 90 temps last month with yesterdays afternoons 99 degree temp. I will water, with a sprinkler, it if need be.

We decided to visit our daughter and grandson in Jacksonville Beach/Ponta Vedra Fla area, and youngest daughter/husband and 2 grand children, in Mt Pleasant S Carolina on the way back from Florida.

Hope I can get some more grass growing before real cold temps this fall. Believe my shooting range will be a nice thing in the future. Ordered me some stands and am ordering some cardboard humanoid targets from a address I got off the internet this morning.

Hope all of you have a good day.

Edited to add; Going to take a friends advice, and get me a 55 gallon barrel, with a lid, to put my tape/ targets and supplies so I will not be forced to lug all that stuff to the range every time me and sweetie uses it.

• Like 3

Sorry for your loss.

If you don't have any luck this fall with grass, spread more seed in late winter so it can start to sprout on the warm days and get a head start on spring. The type of grass is also important, I like a mix of annual rye and perennial rye for the quick cover. I also mix in some clover seed, it gives off nitrogen, a natural fertilizer, the grass will start to crowd it out as it does it's thing and it comes back when the grass slows down. If you want fancier grass in the mix add some red fescue. I never buy the premix seed, usually to much filler, I go to the farmers coop and buy the seed I want, cheaper and what I want.

• Like 2