Best Range/Cleaning/Storage Toolboxes??

I’m looking for a toolbox to put all my gun gear and cleaning supplies in. I won’t be putting guns in it; but all the stuff I need for cleaning, or when I go to the range.

I’m thinking I need to go to Walmart or one of the sporting goods stores to look at fishing tackle boxes.

Let’s see what you guys use.

For example, I a little box with sliding draws that holds all my bore brushes and mops. I assume a tackle box would have plenty of compartments for that stuff (I have several calibers).

I’m also including a YouTube video a guy did of a tackle box he picked. I would like something like that, but the one he picked doesn’t have big areas without any trays to put the bigger stuff, like range tools or big spray cans. And one I watched on the MTM box; it had plenty of open space, but didn’t have enough storage compartments. They were throwing all the different size bore brushes and mops together; that won't work. 

It’s okay if it has fold out arms to hold a rifle (like the MTM), but I don’t think I really need that, especially if it takes up too much usable space.

I don’t care how big it is, but if it gets very big, wheels and a slide up handle would be great.

I’m also not real concerned with cost; I mean it’s a once in a lifetime purchase.

x

I bought a great big Stanley FatMax toolbox from WM to keep all my cleaning supplies in.  It was maybe $20.  I considered a tackle box, which would be fine for organizing brushes and various cleaning rod doodads, but wanted something to put everything in. 

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I’m thinking I need to go to Walmart or one of the sporting goods stores to look at fishing tackle boxes.

Thanks exactly what I did Dave. I had an old tackle box laying around that I re-purposed into my gun cleaning kit. It's been perfect. All those little dividers make it easy to keep everything organized. There is a space in the bottom big enough to put some of the bigger items. I keep this under my work bench in the garage where my guns get cleaned. 

Now, I don't like mixing my range items with this though so I have 2 separate bags for the gun range. One small one I got from LA Police gear and one bigger one from Midway USA. I'm sure you could find a way to keep both in the same bag if that's what you desire. 

I have way to many "kits" to just get one, so I have multiple storage solutions.  Most are like the tackle boxes, two are soft cases with those boxes inside, and one I use to put all my AR tools in is from harbor freight, not bad for around $15, less with the 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/toolbox-organizer-with-4-drawers-68238.html

68238_I.jpg

I went looking for this one, but the trays are way too small, I thought they were full size.

image_18092.jpg

I use these Dewalt TStak organizers.  Have 4 of different ones I stack on the Trolley.  I use it to take all of my supplies (cleaning, wrenches, barrel vise,etc) to my BR matches.  You could easily get by with two of them.  Different ones are shown in the link.  I have the two drawer, long handle toolbox, and 2 deep drawers.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPI1TWO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a pic of mine.  I often unlock the second box and carry it and the top box together.  They aren't too heavy.  As you can see, there is room for small containers in the top.  I keep presoaked and dry cleaning patches in them.

spacer.png

Edited by Hozzie

I use a MTM brush/jag container http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/gun-cleaning-jag.html to control my jags/brushes, some small food storage containers about the size of single serving of baby food for cleaning patches, a small (Folgers) coffee tub to hold various small bottles of cleaning solvents.  The bottles I use I got from the wife's hair color packages, ear or eye drop bottles, etc.  whatever size I need.  Even the original bottles of Remington gun oil work well for solvents, and these fit into the Folgers tub nice and snug, can't tip over and spill but that is what the tub is for anyways.  All of these items fit into a lunchbox size soft bag with a zipper closeure.  I even keep a universal bore guide in this bag as well.  

I use PVC pipe to carry/protect cleaning rods, and put some dense foam padding in the end caps to protect the rod tips.  I used this system for about 3 yrs now, with no spills, bent rods or lost items.  I keep this lunch box cooler bag in a plastic tote along with my spotting scope, targets, notepads, etc. etc.  I have similar totes for my front rest, and rear bags, and other miscellaneous ranges items.  

I clean my rifles at the range, I have the gun out, just remove the bolt, get the cleaning rods and lunchbox bag and clean on the bench.  The front rest and rear bag hold the rifle just fine, but I do hold onto the rifle to avoid accidents.  

I probably carry too much, (think of all the "stuff" needed for a newborn), and I'm close.  Two totes stay in the bed of my truck all the time except when I'm towing the TT, a 3rd tote goes in when I shoot rimfire matches as that holds my front rest for that rifle, and a smaller 4th tote holds the rear bag/misc for the matches.

Easy to load and unload from the truck when needed.

Hi all!

I guess I take a different tack than most of you. When I go to the range, it's to shoot, not to clean. So I take the bare essentials in an easy to carry/move package. My softside Husky has lots of pockets to keep things organized as well as a larger center portion for ammo, pasties, muffs, glasses, etc. I have enough tools to fix/tighten most things, a bore-snake for each caliber, a good old GI cleaning kit for a rod if needed, and a bottle each of Ed's Red, CLP, and Moose-milk (water and Balistol for black powder.) I clean up at home in the garage on a table using a Tipton's gun vice where I can take my time and not worry about taking up a firing bench and keeping up with stuff blowing around. My cleaning supplies are kept in a tote, with caliber specific items (jags, brushes, mops, etc.) kept in small tackle boxes. Cleaning rods are hung at the end of my SS shelf, and I keep patches, spray cans, and bottles (e.g. Balistol, Eezox, Patch-out, Kroil, etc.) in a cabinet.

IMG_2448SM.JPG.afa6764773494fac4079a56e5845f4fc.JPG 

IMG_2449SM.JPG.8953afdbe1d66a8e6dc082df8ee193b8.JPGIMG_2450SM.JPG.d31b58c2f25bd256644df0e4e2a4d70e.JPGIMG_2451SM.JPG.26fb1d4add08097841c906052ed66b37.JPGIMG_2452SM.JPG.3804873974a3582874f9ec3e2ec381be.JPG

IMG_2453SM.JPG.8a20243b5a34a5d7365ff3c0ba7961c9.JPG

IMG_2454SM.JPG.500b376c759637add9aa8a0f163156a4.JPG

Edited by RedlegEd
  • Like 2