Denied Back Ground Check

Henry347

Hey guys I've got a serious question here, I've purchased guns many times after being of age and went to pick up my CVA Scout 450 Bushmaster I got from Buds this past Tuesday and was denied.

I've never had this happen to me and so the ffl I used had me fill out a appeal. Well they told me it usually takes 72hrs for them to approve my transaction. I've called everyday with no news.

I just got a paper in the mail today from the TBI stating my appeal is denied because I was incarcerated at Bledsoe County Correctional Complex on 02/24/2015. I've never been to jail in my entire life, I've never gotten any speeding tickets or nothing, my record is clean. 

Does anybody know who I should call in order to get this straightened out? This is seriously a case of mistaken identity. Really appreciate any info on this because I've never been denied a background check in my life and I want my gun that I've done payed for and am legal to own.

You need to hire an attorney pronto and if I were you, remove all firearms and ammo from your home in case the TBI decides to pay you a visit. I know it sucks and that they screwed up somewhere but no sense in taking chances.

Bill

I would call TBI first and confirm all of the data is correct.  Did you give your social on the 4473?   Someone would have to go to a lot of trouble to use your name and social on an arrest.  A lawyer isn’t a bad idea, just hate to see people have to spend that money for no fault of their own.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I would call TBI first and confirm all of the data is correct.  Did you give your social on the 4473?   Someone would have to go to a lot of trouble to use your name and social on an arrest.  A lawyer isn’t a bad idea, just hate to see people have to spend that money for no fault of their own.  

Yea I always give my Social, I'm going back up to the ffl Monday and making sure they put all the right info in.

The bad thing is I just bought a Kel Tec KSG that previous Friday and was outta there in 10 min. My background checks have always been fast. Also bought a .357 Taurus around a week before the Kel Tec same thing. 

I'm not gonna lie I'm kinda worried about this, and hope to get it straightened out. Do I just call the number on the paper they sent me?

7 hours ago, Henry347 said:

Hey guys I've got a serious question here, I've purchased guns many times after being of age and went to pick up my CVA Scout 450 Bushmaster I got from Buds this past Tuesday and was denied.

I've never had this happen to me and so the ffl I used had me fill out a appeal. Well they told me it usually takes 72hrs for them to approve my transaction. I've called everyday with no news.

I just got a paper in the mail today from the TBI stating my appeal is denied because I was incarcerated at Bledsoe County Correctional Complex on 02/24/2015. I've never been to jail in my entire life, I've never gotten any speeding tickets or nothing, my record is clean. 

Does anybody know who I should call in order to get this straightened out? This is seriously a case of mistaken identity. Really appreciate any info on this because I've never been denied a background check in my life and I want my gun that I've done payed for and am legal to own.

Be certain that you haven't been a victim of identity theft as well.  My brother's identity was stolen and a couple weeks ago he was alerted by his bank that criminals were going to cannabis stores in Oregon (he lives in the SF Bay Area) and buying huge amounts with a credit card in his name.  As well, he has had strange activity today on his bank account and received a myserious $7000 deposit into his bank account.  Yeah, some may think that is super cool, but it could be criminals trying to launder some drug money or testing to see if he is monitoring his account.   God only knows what other heinous ideas the criminals with his identity may try to do.  He is so lazy and naive about this that he hasn't even bothered pursuing any action, up until today.   A while back he would just click on every hacker/phishing email he got and would supply his social security number and all his personal information and such and already was alerted by his bank that somebody was trying to change all his personal information and take control of his bank account.  He is just very naive, despite being an intelligent guy.

I am not saying that happened to you, but identity theft is a very huge dilemma in this day and age.  If you supplied your SSN and this happened it does make me worry a bit.  BUt, remember, you have government officials processing these forms and it could always be somebody types your SSN or name wrong.    Being a software developer, I can also tell you that computer systems malfunction and databases get corrupt and the wrong data could be queried; especially, in a federal database as large as that used for NICS. 

This was one thing I liked about living in Idaho and having a CHL there, all firearm purchases bypass the NICS check, which causes these types of headaches and of course, gives Big Brother more information than he really should have about a law abiding citizen.

Anybody who doesn't sign up for an identity monitoring service like Privacy Guard in this day and age is doing themselves a disservice.

Of course, the odds of somebody using a fake identity and committing a crime is not very likely, but it is not impossible either. 

Edited by 4Freedom

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll give them a call first thing Monday morning. I have a feeling this is gonna be a major headache on getting this straightened out. 

Somebody has had to put the wrong info in somewhere, I've never put my social or any info regarding myself on nothing but trusted websites. But still identity theft is a very real problem and there's ways hackers can get all the info they need sadly, just hope this isn't the case.

Some folks at the TBI are incompetent and are probably doing their job half azzed. They look for any reason to refuse you; it looks good on their yearly stats. I doubt you will find its identity theft since they are saying you were arrested in 2015 and you have bought several guns since. I would guess it will be a name/DOB issue. And with the SS number being included on the form; they knew good and well it wasn’t you when they refused it. The other folks that ran your previous checks did their job properly.

Hey guys I just got off the phone with a so called supervisor at the tics headquarters. I gave him the transaction number on the paper and told him that they've messed up somewhere.

He then went on in a smart *** voice so whats this about you being incarcerated at BLEDSOE bla bla in 2015......I told him that I hadn't ever been in jail or nothing and he goes well it says right here you have.....So I told him to run my social and he said that was the one on file..... I then gave my social and he goes well we use just a name based system that they'd send me a finger print kit in the mail, that they would compare it to the the other one and if they didn't match they would grant my appeal. 

So I figure a 2 week minimum before I get my gun because of a bunch of ppl that can't do there job. The little prick was rude.

Are they anyway I can get a card or something that shows my true identity while purchasing guns? Because I have a feeling this is gonna be a problem for me and future purchases.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Henry347 said:

Hey guys I just got off the phone with a so called supervisor at the tics headquarters. I gave him the transaction number on the paper and told him that they've messed up somewhere.

He then went on in a smart *** voice so whats this about you being incarcerated at BLEDSOE bla bla in 2015......I told him that I hadn't ever been in jail or nothing and he goes well it says right here you have.....So I told him to run my social and he said that was the one on file..... I then gave my social and he goes well we use just a name based system that they'd send me a finger print kit in the mail, that they would compare it to the the other one and if they didn't match they would grant my appeal. 

So I figure a 2 week minimum before I get my gun because of a bunch of ppl that can't do there job. The little prick was rude.

Are they anyway I can get a card or something that shows my true identity while purchasing guns? Because I have a feeling this is gonna be a problem for me and future purchases.

He shouldn't have been rude, but I bet they do get a number of calls from actual felons thinking that they can just call, say "yeah, that wasn't me, can I go buy gun now" and everything will be fine.

• Moderators

It may be of value to attempt to get a Unique Person Identifier Number. Of course, if they had actually run the social it sounds like that would have solved it as well. 

Do you have your HCP? It really seems like some either some serious incompetence or a big failure point in the TICS system is at play here. 

Just further proof that the TICS system shouldn’t exist. We should be using NICS. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It may be of value to attempt to get a Unique Person Identifier Number. Of course, if they had actually run the social it sounds like that would have solved it as well. 

Do you have your HCP? It really seems like some either some serious incompetence or a big failure point in the TICS system is at play here. 

Just further proof that the TICS system shouldn’t exist. We should be using NICS. 

Where would I go to get something like this? And no I've never gotten the HCP I've been needing to but never find the time.

Edited by Henry347
23 minutes ago, Henry347 said:

Where would I go to get something like this? And no I've never gotten the HCP I've been needing to but never find the time.

I would guess he’s lying to you; but I don’t know that for sure. We constantly have discussions here about cops interacting with the public. Usually the cops did nothing wrong; someone here just didn’t like it. This is a case where the cop (or the civilian working at TBI) is just an azzhat that doesn’t want to do their job. I don’t believe for a second that they only check the name. Now if you had the same name and DOB; that’s another story. Is that the case?

If your information is so close to another person; they are denying you; you can get a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) from the FBI and use it. I don’t know if that would fix your problem since your problem is not with the Feds check; it’s with the TBI’s local check.

Good luck, and its sad that the TBI cannot act responsibly to you for their mistake.   :-\

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf

• Like 2
  • Moderators
48 minutes ago, Henry347 said:

@DaveTN up above did me better and gave a good link. 

When I worked in a gun store in Memphis we had folks who used UPINs and while I can’t say for sure that they were used by TICS, I know nobody who used one ever had a delay. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
43 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I would guess he’s lying to you; but I don’t know that for sure. We constantly have discussions here about cops interacting with the public. Usually the cops did nothing wrong; someone here just didn’t like it. This is a case where the cop (or the civilian working at TBI) is just an azzhat that doesn’t want to do their job. I don’t believe for a second that they only check the name. Now if you had the same name and DOB; that’s another story. Is that the case?

If your information is so close to another person; they are denying you; you can get a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) from the FBI and use it. I don’t know if that would fix your problem since your problem is not with the Feds check; it’s with the TBI’s local check.

Good luck, and its sad that the TBI cannot act responsibly to you for their mistake.   :-\

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf

Thanks so much for the link. And honestly I don't know the supervisor I spoke too was not much help. He seriously acted like I had been incarcerated. And I know for a fact that they have to run socials because as we all know there's ppl out here with the same names. Their headquarters is a 3hr drive for me one way. I think I'm gonna call back and see if I can just do the finger print test in person. I definitely ain't got nothing to hide from them.

But I don't see how just how just 4 days prior I bought a assault shotgun at the same ffl I've used for many transfers and was approved in minutes like always. They've messed up on their part and are not wanting to fix it. I'm scared to even buy another gun because I order all my stuff from buds and it's done payed for you know. And when you pay for something you want to be able to get it when it comes in.

Oh, trust me I know; I’ve been thought it with the TBI. They were of no help at all. Believe it or not it was the BATF that told me what the problem was and how to fix it. I did what they told me and haven’t had any issues since. But mine wasn’t an ID issue; I truly was the criminal they thought I was.

Hope you get it straightened out.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

but I bet they do get a number of calls from actual felons thinking that they can just call, say "yeah, that wasn't me, can I go buy gun now" and everything will be fine.

I seriously doubt convicted felons are calling the TBI  to argue that they are entitled to buy a gun. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 3

Well got another paper in the mail from them denying the appeal again. This time it's another place and 2 different times. This is getting ridiculous I've put pictures of the papers they've sent so far.

I think I'm gonna go to my local sheriff tm and see if they can get this sorted out. This is some major bull****, and am getting feed up with it. If the people working tics can't do no better than this they need to put people in there that will.

20191007_191644.png

20191007_191509.png

2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

You know it's bad when regular people like us can do better jobs than those bunch of dumb****. The bad thing is I was still in High School that year. I think I'll give them another call in the morning.

7 minutes ago, Henry347 said:

You know it's bad when regular people like us can do better jobs than those bunch of dumb****. The bad thing is I was still in High School that year. I think I'll give them another call in the morning.

I hope that works for you. If not; I’d ask to speak to a supervisor. When I had my problems they only had one person, because she was off with an injury and I had to wait. That’s messed up also. Your date of birth and his is not the same and your SS number is not the same. If that is an undisputed fact (and it should be); this should be a non-issue.

Since I have only lived in Tn. for 5 years would someone enlighten me on why they use TBI instead of FBI for background checks?? Seems the Federal system would have more information on a person, regardless if they are a felon or not. Plus in my previous state of Mississippi the background check was FREE!!