RIA 1911 issues

lock n' load

The last round out-of-battery issue is commonly caused by inertia feed, where the last round squirts out of the magazine on recoil, before the slide has a chance to push it out of the mag.

So the slide follows the round into battery but is stopped by the extractor as it hits the case rim and fails to snap over.   Then you rack the slide but the round stays in the chamber because the extractor isn't hooked on the case rim.  

Inertia feeds are a sign your mag springs are weakening.   Wilson mag springs wear out pretty fast in my experience.   As a troubleshooting method, I would suggest using new 7 round mags to see if the problem follows.   You say the issue doesn't happen with the ACT mag, which is a good indicator that inertia feed is what you're experiencing. 

If you want to replace the Wilson mag springs, I have had good luck with the ISMI replacement spring, part number SSCS2.  Of course you could call Wilson and see if they will send you new springs but I generally prefer to just buy a new spring that doesn't have the same issue.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-springs/1911-premium-magazine-springs-prod7541.aspx

• Like 1

I'll try that and see if it is the cause. I always heard and read that WC makes good stuff which kinda surprises me that it happens with that mag. I bought it as a backup because I'd read some reviews that the stock one isn't very good. If it continues to happen after using different mags I'll try to send it back to RIA to check it. Only problem is I have shot some ammo from N. Georgia Reloading which most likely voids the warranty per RIA. I may have to take it to a gunsmith if all else fails. Every brand of ammo I have shot has experienced a FTGTB. I even had it happen with Gold Dot ammo. Other than that I really like and am possibly falling in love with the 1911. The grip angle is way better than the other guns I have. The weight of the full size frame makes recoil very manageable. I really wish I'd gotten one sooner.

Have an experienced 1911 shooter try it and with different mags while you are at it.  Wilson Combat mags are ok.  Many of us have taken Wilson Combat mags and replaced the springs with TrippCobra springs and/or followers.

Also, unless your NGeorgia ammo kaboomed the 1911, RIA will never know remanufactured ammo was shot. In fact most of NGeorgia Reloading ammo is made from virgin brass anyway.  They are an ATF licensed ammo manufacturer. I’m not a fan of N Georgia Reloading; I have seen many failures mostly because of weak ammo. 

Which WC mag do you have?

Edited by Patton
  • 1 month later...

Update #2

I sent my gun back to RIA two weeks ago to have them check the gun out. I explained what it was doing and they sent me a return label to ship the gun back. The gun was only gone two weeks and I got it back yesterday which was pretty quick to me. They indicated that they tuned, cleaned, lubed and tested the gun. They never indicated what they tuned. I fired another 100 rounds through it and again had a failure to go into battery on the last round. This happened with the stock magazine that came with the gun. Now I am looking a several options. Option A: start replacing parts with aftermarket parts (extractor, recoil spring, etc) and have it tuned by a gunsmith to see if that fixes the issue. Option B: trade the gun for an American-made 1911. I think trying to upgrade parts will end up costing as much if not more than buying a better gun. I've read good reviews about RIA guns and I still want to think they make good guns. Maybe I just got a lemon. I think they have a good customer service system with how quickly they handled my situation but unfortunately, it didn't seem to work for me. ☹️

11 minutes ago, lock n' load said:

I read on another forum that I may need to get an extended magazine release that holds the magazine tighter in the gun. Anyone think this might be a possible solution?

No.  And replacing a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the problem won’t help either.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lock n' load said:

Update #2

I sent my gun back to RIA two weeks ago to have them check the gun out. I explained what it was doing and they sent me a return label to ship the gun back. The gun was only gone two weeks and I got it back yesterday which was pretty quick to me. They indicated that they tuned, cleaned, lubed and tested the gun. They never indicated what they tuned. I fired another 100 rounds through it and again had a failure to go into battery on the last round. This happened with the stock magazine that came with the gun. Now I am looking a several options. Option A: start replacing parts with aftermarket parts (extractor, recoil spring, etc) and have it tuned by a gunsmith to see if that fixes the issue. Option B: trade the gun for an American-made 1911. I think trying to upgrade parts will end up costing as much if not more than buying a better gun. I've read good reviews about RIA guns and I still want to think they make good guns. Maybe I just got a lemon. I think they have a good customer service system with how quickly they handled my situation but unfortunately, it didn't seem to work for me. ☹️

Just my 2 cents worth here... I was a gunsmith for many years and what you are describing sounds to me like the rim of the cartridge is not under the extractor. This holds the slide out of battery, and you wont be able to extract the cartridge as the rim isnt under the hook of the extractor.

Shoot the gun again, and if/when it happens being very careful about muzzle disipline and finger OFF the trigger push the rear of the slide forward firmly, or strije it with the heal of your hand. If the slide moves forward with an audible click and can be fired this is what is happening. Let RIA know and they can fix it easily enough.

Also try to grip the gun very firmly. That may help with feeding. The 1911 doesn't tollerate limp wristing very well. If possible have an experienced shooter try the gun as well. 

It's a learning process...

• Like 1
13 hours ago, lock n' load said:

I fired another 100 rounds through it and again had a failure to go into battery on the last round. This happened with the stock magazine that came with the gun. 

Don’t chase your tail thinking you have bad magazines. Get a McCormick or Wilson mag, some decent ammo, and either prove or dispel that theory.

Now I am looking a several options. Option A: start replacing parts with aftermarket parts (extractor, recoil spring, etc) and have it tuned by a gunsmith to see if that fixes the issue. Option B: trade the gun for an American-made 1911. I think trying to upgrade parts will end up costing as much if not more than buying a better gun. 

From the limited amount of RIA’s I have seen; they were junk when they were new. So, option A is their job; send it back again. Option B is always a good choice. But it leaves you with a POS gun. You still have to get it fixed. It wouldn’t be right to pass that POS off to someone else.

However, any manufacturer can and will produce at lemon at some time or another. It’s how they deal with it when it happens that matters.

Maybe I just got a lemon.

Your gun with its factory supplied magazine won't work properly; I think that's a given

I think they have a good customer service system with how quickly they handled my situation but unfortunately, it didn't seem to work for me. ☹️

Being fast doesn’t fix your gun. Contact them again. It’s possible you got one of the worthless CS people that didn’t care about doing their job right. Maybe the next person will. If they don’t; they don’t have good customer service.

If possible, I'd try to take advantage of Patton's offer to run mutli mags.

If problem rears it ugly head at the range session, with free shipping and reasonably quick turn time, send it back to RIA.

It is frustrating considering research and positive owner reviews, but sometimes you get a bad one. 

Good luck with resolution!

• Like 1

It’s worth a trip back to RIA.  They will eventually get it running or send you a new one.   What happens if you load one round into a mag and try to release the slide?  Does it go into battery 100 times out of 100? I really believe you are experiencing the dreaded inertia feed. An extended magazine release will do nothing.  

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the extractor is the problem. Is the bottom edge completely square or does it have a slight bevel? It should be beveled. The 1911 uses a controlled feed system. The rim slides up under the extractor as the cartridge feeds. Improperly adjusted extractors can cause all kinds of problems. 

Take the slide off and slip an empty case into the breech face. Does it go in smoothly just just a little effort? Shake the slide. Does the extractor hold the case in place? Then try with a loaded round. It should be held in place, but may come loose when shaken. 

Tuning an extractor is pretty simple and you can do it yourself. Plenty of info and videos on the internet to show you how. 

I purchased a RIA M1911 A1 Ultra Tac in 9mm.  The Mec-Gar magazine that came with the gun did not in my opinion seem to even fit correctly.  I purchased some Wilson Combat magazines and have not had a single issue with the gun.  I feel where RIA is lacking is that the guns they make are HEAVY and the supplier of their magazines is providing a poor quality product.

• Confused 1
21 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

I purchased a RIA M1911 A1 Ultra Tac in 9mm.  The Mec-Gar magazine that came with the gun did not in my opinion seem to even fit correctly.  I purchased some Wilson Combat magazines and have not had a single issue with the gun.  I feel where RIA is lacking is that the guns they make are HEAVY and the supplier of their magazines is providing a poor quality product.

Did the Mec-Gar magazine work?  They are some of the best aftermarket mags on the market and are in fact OEM for some big name companies.

1911’s are heavy, regardless of who makes them and 9mm versions are even heavier.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

I'll add my 2 cents.

I have a full-size 9mm RIA 1911, and I bought a 10-Roung Mec-Gar magazine from the Rock Island booth at an NRA show.  That particular magazine consistently caused jams.   It was so consistent that I could reserve it for malfunction drills.  I also had a Wilson Combat 10-Round magazine that repeatedly jammed, but another one (same company) that doesn't.  The 9-round Metalform magazines have not had an issue.

Mec-Gar sent me a replacement magazine, but I have not tested it yet.

24 minutes ago, chances R said:

Just another example of why I am sold on the M&P full size 45.  Works every time and don't have to baby it.  Would have never bothered with the 1911s if I had shot this one first.

No one buys a 1911 because they are a .45. You buy them because they are a 1911. ;)

• Like 5