Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Garufa

Groundhogs

Recommended Posts

I was not aware that groundhogs could climb fences.  Never thought about it to be honest but I just saw one do that very thing in the back yard over a 4’ chain link fence and jump over to the neighbor’s side.

I need to sight in my rarely used pellet rifle but I doubt it would do much good at 25 yards.  Might have to go stalking if I see it again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, a couple years ago I was hunting when I seen one in a tree making his way down.  It took me a bit before my brain would allow me to connect that shape with a groundhog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Omega said:

Yea, a couple years ago I was hunting when I seen one in a tree making his way down.  It took me a bit before my brain would allow me to connect that shape with a groundhog.

My brain still can’t process groundhogs running around in trees, but in this day and age I’m not surprised anymore, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard the neighbors dog barking up a tree a while back. I walked over to see what he was barking at and was greatly surprised to see a big groundhog about 30 feet up in the tree. First time I had ever seen one in a tree.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

I was not aware that groundhogs could climb fences.  Never thought about it to be honest but I just saw one do that very thing in the back yard over a 4’ chain link fence and jump over to the neighbor’s side.

I need to sight in my rarely used pellet rifle but I doubt it would do much good at 25 yards.  Might have to go stalking if I see it again.  

They hunt hogs with pellet rifles. Good shot placement will get the job done with the pellet rifle. Eye or ear hole shot will solve the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, owejia said:

They hunt hogs with pellet rifles. Good shot placement will get the job done with the pellet rifle. Eye or ear hole shot will solve the problem.

Who does? That's crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google it on youtube. Quite a few videos of hog hunting with pellet rifles, just not your typical Walmart pellet rifles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been zeroing a Benjamin Titan NP in .22 and I have no doubt it can take on a groundhog, but I would limit it to under 30-40 yards or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where I was a cop we had several residences with HUGE gardens in town. Naturally, the large population of groundhogs were a problem, and there was an ordinance against discharging firearms in the town. Since I was the designated sniper for my PD, part of my job was to go around town sniping groundhogs with my Ruger 10/22. The groundhog's skull is surprisingly strong. I had to use the hottest available round at the time - which were Remington Vipers - to kill them beyond about 30 yards. I can't imagine using a pellet gun for the task. Of course, today's pellet guns are a lot strong than they were in early 1990's.

I've seen groundhogs jump several feet high and climb fences, but never saw them climb trees. I have no doubts that they can. I'm also seen them stand and fight like a raccoon when a dog comes too close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I killed one with a Daisy Eagle when I was a kid.  It was in our garden and paid me little attention.  I shot it between the eyes at about 10 feet.  It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 2:13 PM, 10-Ring said:

I killed one with a Daisy Eagle when I was a kid.  It was in our garden and paid me little attention.  I shot it between the eyes at about 10 feet.  It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.

 You just made my day. 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a live trap today from my BIL. I have a big Groundhog in may yard. And for being fat he can move pretty fast. My Doberman has almost caught him a couple of times; I don't want that to happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TomInMN said:

 You just made my day. 😁

You would have thought I'd killed a buck of unheard of proportions when I got that groundhog.  I was pretty proud of myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

You would have thought I'd killed a buck of unheard of proportions when I got that groundhog.  I was pretty proud of myself. 

I can imagine! Were your friends suitably impressed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 3:46 PM, DaveTN said:

I'm getting a live trap today from my BIL. I have a big Groundhog in may yard. And for being fat he can move pretty fast. My Doberman has almost caught him a couple of times; I don't want that to happen.

 

This is what I found this morning, I figured this would happen. I have a large Pecan tree in my backyard. The groundhog I was trying to catch was sitting off to the side eating nuts and watching the show.

itIspBB.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Maybe the picture is making it look smaller but is that cage even big enough for a ground hog? 

They say the camera adds ten pounds. I'm betting that squirrel looks much bigger than it actually is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got one on the run a year or two ago out at our farm. I’ve nearly broken my legs stepping in their holes before while walking to the deer stand in the early morning. 

4B13D58B-B0B4-4272-8281-87BAC88CCEE3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a small groundhog that runs across the backyard a lot.  Lately he has moved to the front yard and is eating some broad leaf weeds that grow in the cracks around raised flower bed stonework.  He is getting rid of the weeds better than a string trimmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines