Zippo lighter restoration - Vietnam War repair

Came out nice, but was it just me that cringed in the way he did it?  The way he used those pliers, vice, dremel and brush, even the WD-40 was IMO wrong.  I would have soaked it in Kroil, or evapo-rust first, then nylon brushes after that.  

Zippo's are pretty tough items.  I've got my 1st one from high school, or there abouts.  If I put some lighter fluid in it, it would probably light right up.  Sometimes you got to use a bit of force to get those corroded items apart,  

I wonder if the lighter was his fathers, uncles, etc, or just one he got some how.  

Pretty cool, I too would like to know the story behind the lighter. I often think about all those men that died or were injured for life in that far away land that I don't think we had a dog in that hunt. I was planning on an Air Force career, but my heart wasn't in that police action and I had a high draft number. But I do salute all those that went either volunteer or draft. Thank you guys and gals for your service to this Great country!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had one when I was in 'Nam. It was stolen along with all my other valuables, after I was wounded, and in the aid station. The SOB's stole $175 I had saved up for R&R, my wallet, watch. Left my wedding ring. Didn't realize this until I was in the Army hospital in Tokyo.

That said, Zippos' are tough, hard to wear one out. Would be interesting to know the story behind this one.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.