.40S&W pistols with high round counts

tercel89

What is the highest round count that you guys have seen from a pistol chambered in .40S&W ? A certain trainer in middle Tennessee says in one of his videos that pistols chambered in this caliber will beat themselves to death because of the high pressures. I had a Glock 22 Gen 2 and had at least 8,000 rds through it and had no signs of destruction other than natural wear and tear. Any thoughts ?

2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Any thoughts ?

He’s another one of those 9MM lost souls that desperately want people to believe .40S&W is going by the wayside. Don’t hate on him; try to help him get his mind right.

But you know what… I’ve been shooting for 50 years and I’ve never came close to “shooting out” a barrel or shooting a gun to failure. I would guess that’s true for most on this forum. The other observation I have made is… if you shoot out a barrel; buy a new one. Because the cost of that barrel is miniscule compared to the cost of the ammo it would take to shoot it to inaccuracy.

3 hours ago, tercel89 said:

....A certain trainer in middle Tennessee says in one of his videos that pistols chambered in this caliber will beat themselves to death because of the high pressures. ....

What is he of trainer of? How to talk out your butt?

The only case of known (small numbers) failures I can think of was with frame damage in Beretta 96's used by PD's. They added buffers in the A1's out of concern. But the fails were usually crazy high counts and potentially could have had other contributing factors outside it being originally intended to be a 9mm platform. The anti-Beretta folks love to point at this, but the numbers are not significant relative to total used and PD's that did not have any problems with high counts. 

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

He’s another one of those 9MM lost souls that desperately want people to believe .40S&W is going by the wayside. Don’t hate on him; try to help him get his mind right.

But you know what… I’ve been shooting for 50 years and I’ve never came close to “shooting out” a barrel or shooting a gun to failure. I would guess that’s true for most on this forum. The other observation I have made is… if you shoot out a barrel; buy a new one. Because the cost of that barrel is miniscule compared to the cost of the ammo it would take to shoot it to inaccuracy.

Oh I think the cartridge has its place and I still have my .40 pistol.  I was just seeing what you guys thought. My Glock 22 , like others , will wear the slide's rails about mid-ways on the slide then the wear will stop. Its like kinda like a marrying of the parts. After that , the parts no longer wear much at all. My Gen 2 and Gen 3 are the same in that manner.

2 hours ago, Erich said:

What is he of trainer of? How to talk out your butt?

The only case of known (small numbers) failures I can think of was with frame damage in Beretta 96's used by PD's. They added buffers in the A1's out of concern. But the fails were usually crazy high counts and potentially could have had other contributing factors outside it being originally intended to be a 9mm platform. The anti-Beretta folks love to point at this, but the numbers are not significant relative to total used and PD's that did not have any problems with high counts. 

Here ya go . I don't agree with part of it , But it was interesting to hear him say this about the gun beating itself to death. I'm always open minded.

Maybe he should do another one titled what Stupid #### agnry know it alls say on their Youtube channel. 

My source, secret people you dont know and their conspiracy to keep that knowledge away from the public.

You can tell this guy has a real hardon against the caliber and its user base. Who cares what they think as long as they carry. Its really dumb for someone who is in his profession. He essentially contradicts what he preaches, having a carry and it not mattering what it is as long as your proficient with it.

Being open minded is one thing, but at least when someone is just openly hostile and insulting to support a position, they loose all credibility to me.

Do you not find it questionable that he has no real facts or support and offers insults and "insider info" (like they tell him and no one else)?

So 40 users only buy a box of ammo at a time? They never buy in case because they never shoot? Sure, does that sound right to you?

So how much hush money do you think Glock pays the members of the Glock forum with G22's to never post or remove their posts with all the exploded G22's? Since he knows all these secret industry insiders, he must know that number I am sure.  

Higher pressure rounds causing more wear is no secret, but only crap designed guns break from it. That applies irrespective of caliber.

1 hour ago, Erich said:

Maybe he should do another one titled what Stupid #### agnry know it alls say on their Youtube channel. 

My source, secret people you dont know and their conspiracy to keep that knowledge away from the public.

You can tell this guy has a real hardon against the caliber and its user base. Who cares what they think as long as they carry. Its really dumb for someone who is in his profession. He essentially contradicts what he preaches, having a carry and it not mattering what it is as long as your proficient with it.

Being open minded is one thing, but at least when someone is just openly hostile and insulting to support a position, they loose all credibility to me.

Do you not find it questionable that he has no real facts or support and offers insults and "insider info" (like they tell him and no one else)?

So 40 users only buy a box of ammo at a time? They never buy in case because they never shoot? Sure, does that sound right to you?

So how much hush money do you think Glock pays the members of the Glock forum with G22's to never post or remove their posts with all the exploded G22's? Since he knows all these secret industry insiders, he must know that number I am sure.  

Higher pressure rounds causing more wear is no secret, but only crap designed guns break from it. That applies irrespective of caliber.

Oh I agree with you . I think that with proper maintenance , Glocks in .40 and a few others WILL last past 50,000 rds. I just wondered how many rounds members here had on their .40 guns. A friend of mine went through one of Yeager's fighting pistol class with a .40S&W pistol which was a Springfield Armory XD40 . It ran just fine.

Normally don't comment on cal specific topics because they are usually just a never ending debate.  I also won't comment on the youtuber posted above as I'm sure he will track me down and kill me. But here goes.

I carried a Glock 35 gen3 for about 6 years before department made the switch to 9mm. I bought the gun used and appeared high mileage.  I put atleast 15k rounds through it conservatively which isn't a lot but more than most owners.  The round count could be significantly higher as I used this in numerous training classes plus however many previous owner shot.  Never a problem. I seriously doubt any issues would have come about had I continued to use that gun. I would not hesitate to use it again if we switched back. I have no dog in the cal debate as long as its 9, 40, or 45 as long as ammo is free. Maintain it like anything else and it will work. Outside of the Glock platform I have no idea and cant say if there have been issues. Just get training regardless of cal and enjoy.

Take some youtube comments and forum comments with a grain of salt. Some people are more personality than professionals and they get youtube famous. My comment included.  I'm not famous or a professional. 

• Like 1

I have or have had several 40's with 10k plus round count. I still have an early S&W 40 SS frame that easily has 30k on it with zero issues and an early sig alloy frame that is at 15k ish. Both were used hard in IPSC limited matches for years. Both show slight wear on rails, but nothing more than a bit of burnishing, no battering or damage.

Slide velocities are higher than 9mm but keep a fresh recoil spring in them as regular maintenance and this won't be a problem.

I readily admit that I don't like the .40. Had one years ago, hated it,  dumped it, didn't look back and will never own another.  But that's just me. If you like it, I couldn't care less. To each, his own. 

As far as the claims in that video, all I had to see was the guy making those claims and any credibility it might have had went straight down the toilet. Total BS and a waste of almost 6 minutes. :stick:

• Like 1