Night Vision scope for night coyote hunting?

I bought some land and house out in the country about 6 months ago.  While I have heard coyotes around and seen them on my deer cameras, last night I had one that sounded like it was literally outside my back door.  I have a dog and at night I always go out with her, but I want to remove the threat as much as I can so time to do some hunting.  

Knowing that we can only use rimfires at night, I am going to setup a 22 mag rifle with a night vision scope for this purpose.  I may hunt during the day as well with a centerfire, but I plan to just turn all of my lights off and sit on my porch and wait at night.  I know I won't be able to take a shot much more than 60-70 yards, with less than 50 being ideal.  However I guess it would be good to be able to see out a bit further to see them coming into range.  

I know nothing about night vision in general so I wanted to ask some here that may have some experience.  It seems the ATN X-Sight 4K Pro has good reviews, but seems overkill for what I need.  The price isn't the major issue, but I don't care about ranging, video, etc, but if it is my best bet, not an issue either (although video could be cool).   I just want something that works and that I can tell what I am shooting at.  

I wasn't sure if there as a device to add to a regular scope that may work well or if just going with a fully integrated unit is best (I suspect this is the case).  

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Well, it's a bit of a subject. I use thermal. With it I've killed pig, deer, and coyotes out to 300 yards at night in three different states. The deer are on permits. Pigs and coyotes are legal at night in the other states. I've also run a PVS 30 with an illuminator.  You really need movement if you're using NV. Identifying your target is initially easier with NV. After learning the language of thermal, identifying your target is almost as easy. I can't tell you how much easier it is with thermal. I use an ir designator to point out pigs to the guys with NV. If you get a permit from TWRA, you can use what ever gun you want.  You'll have to prove the coyotes are a problem. 

Thanks.  I know thermals are more expensive, but not against it if I can use it on a centerfire if I talk to TWRA.  I don't have animals outside of my dog so I don't expect I will meet some exemption, but doesn't hurt to talk to them.  What is a decent thermal model?  Again, don't need a bunch of fancy stuff, just want to see what I am looking to shoot.

Trijicon an N-Vision have the best, but they are expensive.  Flir 233 if you're on a budget. I run a Trijicon reap, but my hunting buddy uses a Halo LR 50. Pulsar is another to look at. Just remember, you can hunt coyotes at night without a permit.  You can defend yourself or you animals, but you can't hunt. 

I realize a 640 resolution is better than the 380 size, but is it basically just clearness?   Not sure I want to pony up for a 640  unless their is a significant advantage.  I probably will just be using it around the house.  Could go hog hunting at some point though at a buddies in GA.  

The 12 micron core is better than the 17 and 60 hz is better than 30hz. The issue is identifying. Some of the scopes are night and day difference.  I've looked through ATNs that were unusable in my opinion. You have detection range and identifying range. The range will change a bit when you get more experience. It's a lot like learning a new language. The image will also change with condition. If it's been 60° all day the background will be muddy, but the critters will look good. If it's been 75° and drops to 60° with low humidity. the image will be stunning 

Still not exactly sure what I am doing for the scope, but think I am going to go with the Pulsar Axiom XM30 monocular for spotting.  Leaning towards the Thermion XM38 for the scope, but haven't decided yet.   I have been watching a podcast of some guys who I think offer up some good takes on things.  One of them brought up they would rather have a monocular and scope vs just a scope if one was trying to keep a reasonable budget.  Seems to make sense to me.

If I'm going to sit in one spot for an extended period, I use an aluminum tripod with a large ball head. We usually walk about 4 miles each night so we take a very light weight tripod. The gun can't be mounted to that tripod, but I use a sling wrapped around the tripod in such a way that 300 yard shots are doable.( this took practice  ) We don't use a scanner. It's a good idea. I use my rifle as a scanner, but it's kind of like using a rifle scope instead of binoculars. We really should get a scanner and if you go that route, you wouldn't be making a mistake. If you are close to Colombia or Chapel Hill,  I'd be happy to let you play with mine.

Well, taking a bit of different approach for now.  Ordered a Pulsar Axion XM30 and am going to pair it with a Sightmark Wraith HD Night vision for now.  I think the combination will allow me to do what I want until I decide to go further.  I will probably go with the Pulsar Thermion XM50 if I decide to go ahead with a thermal scope as well.   Before I spend 5k on that scope, figure I will use the monocular and see how it goes.  The Wraith will be here next week.  Axion will be a bit longer since it is on backorder.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, Hozzie said:

Well, taking a bit of different approach for now.  Ordered a Pulsar Axion XM30 and am going to pair it with a Sightmark Wraith HD Night vision for now.  I think the combination will allow me to do what I want until I decide to go further.  I will probably go with the Pulsar Thermion XM50 if I decide to go ahead with a thermal scope as well.   Before I spend 5k on that scope, figure I will use the monocular and see how it goes.  The Wraith will be here next week.  Axion will be a bit longer since it is on backorder.

Thread resurrection alert 😆

Hozzie, i ordered a Wraith that will deliver tomorrow. I’ve been excited about getting one for a while now. You been happy with yours? They seem to have great reviews for “best bang for your buck” NV in their price range. 
Also, we’re you able to get that coyote who was creeping too close for comfort?