? About the CVA Scout 45-70

glockster157

Hi. I own several single shot rifles in .45-70 Govt, though they are mostly traditional 19th Century rifles (Trapdoors, '85 Highwall, '74 Sharps, etc.) I just looked up the Scout on Bud's & GB, and for the price, it seems like a really good way to get into a single shot .45-70 rifle. The possible downside is the lack of iron sights (if that's what you want,) but does come with a scope rail. The other choice might be the Henry single shot which is only slightly more expensive, but it's not SS and comes with iron sights. I own an Henry original in .45 Colt and can speak to their quality and craftsmanship. I don't own a CVA Scout, but the reviews I've seen are generally positive. In any event, it seems like a very reasonably priced option. As you probably already know, the really nice thing about the .45-70 cartridge is you can pretty much load it as mild or wild as you want. I shoot a really mild load at our monthly gong shoots at 200 yards, and they're accurate enough that I'm competitive. Hope this helps. Ed

Yeah, I'm with ya on the mild loads.  I have had several Ruger #1's and Marlins in 45-70. The Rugers  were too light weight and were painful even with light loads. I had a 28" Marlin Cowboy and sold it in a moment of weakness. I have also had the Guide gun and standard over the years. I want to get another lever, probably a 1886 Winchester knock off, but in the mean time I saw how cheap the CVA's were. I should settle on the Hunter but the extra weight of the Scout plus being SS, really looks like it might be more shootable. I plan to use a scope so sights are not an issue. I considered the Henry, but the weight of the CVA plus lower cost has it ahead in my mind...just want to plink anyways.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:39 AM, glockster157 said:

Really been thinking about one of these in 45-70  ever since they came out. Looks like a 8 pound rifle with a 25” bbl. anybody tried one? I’ve got lots of 45-70 brass, bullet molds, bullets etc. need a gun to go with it but don’t want to break the bank. 

One of the best smokeless sabotless muzzleloader conversion guns out there. 

On 10/19/2019 at 6:17 PM, glockster157 said:

Yeah, I'm with ya on the mild loads.  I have had several Ruger #1's and Marlins in 45-70. The Rugers  were too light weight and were painful even with light loads. I had a 28" Marlin Cowboy and sold it in a moment of weakness. I have also had the Guide gun and standard over the years. I want to get another lever, probably a 1886 Winchester knock off, but in the mean time I saw how cheap the CVA's were. I should settle on the Hunter but the extra weight of the Scout plus being SS, really looks like it might be more shootable. I plan to use a scope so sights are not an issue. I considered the Henry, but the weight of the CVA plus lower cost has it ahead in my mind...just want to plink anyways.

Plink with a 45-70?

• 4 weeks later...