What would you do?

Branket

I'm thinking about trading in on of my XD's toward a Kimber Pro Carry. The only question is which one (or neither)?

Do I keep the 9mm so I can shoot more affordable ammo?

Do I keep the .45 so that I have two guns that use the same caliber?

Or do I just sit on both of them and wait until I have the cash on hand to buy the Kimber outright (probably 3-6 months)?

Ideally I would do the latter, but I found a lightly used one at a very reasonable price and it wouldn't take too much cash plus the trade in to get the Kimber.

I tend to overly analyze every purchase I make non matter how simple but this is a big one so I need a little help. Let me know what you think.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all... I wouldn't trade. You won't get much for either of them... I'd try to sell one, if necessary. You'd get at least another $100 that way.

If it were me, I'd ditch the 9mm for the reason #2, and then buy .45acp in bulk... Or, I'd ditch the .45 and buy a Springfield EMP 9mm...

Having common calibers is nice... But, in the end you ought to decide based on which one you feel like parting with, if either. Since, even though they are difference calibers, there's alot to be said for having multiple guns which fit and function the same, if you're using them both for carry.

Guest Boomhower

I agree with the EMP. It has a couple of $$ after it, but compared in size to the Kimber's, it's a whole lot thinner. Def. go check one out before you buy, unless your dead set on the Kimber. Just remember, there's usually another deal around the corner, so I'd save up and wait. I'm not much on trading or saleing what I already have. I'm stingy that way.:shhh:

I don't want the Kimber because it's small or else I would go with the ultra carry. I just like the size and the weight of the aluminum frame. Also the EMP is more than double what I can get the Kimber for, and as sexy as it is I can't wait a year to get one.

The more time I spend thinking about it the more inclined i am to wait it out and keep them both even if it means paying full price down the road.

That would be my suggestion. Different tools for different purposes. Can't go wrong with a Kimber, either way.

The more time I spend thinking about it the more inclined i am to wait it out and keep them both even if it means paying full price down the road.
Save yourself the trouble and buy a Glock 19. Use your remaining budget on training and ammunition.

I don't see how that solves anything. My XD9 fills the Glock 19 position already, and slightly better IMHO.

I've really liked the Kimbers I've shot. I even thought about carrying one. That is, until every IDPA match I go to someone shooting a Kimber has a failure of one kind or another. That included the sights falling off and the gun going full auto.

Well I decided to sit on what cash I have and hope to God that something tempting doesn't come along between now and then. I made the mistake of going into some gun shops today and that only gave me more guns to lust after. Worse yet I could afford some of them now, I guess I'll just have to take it one day at a time...and hide my money somewhere clever.

Guest CrazyLincoln
I've really liked the Kimbers I've shot. I even thought about carrying one. That is, until every IDPA match I go to someone shooting a Kimber has a failure of one kind or another. That included the sights falling off and the gun going full auto.

Sound more like poor mods than factory workmanship to me.

Sound more like poor mods than factory workmanship to me.

At least the full-auto issue is most likely to be a poorly done trigger job... Since, I believe anyways, most Kimbers are series-80 mechanisms. That would mean that the firing-pin safety had been deactivated.