New gun shop (Memphis area)

xsubsailor

So this is the dedicated gun shop part of a pawnshop.   I just went by and checked out a few things.   Here is a quick and dirty review.  

I asked to see the CZ52 in the case and the kid pulled it out and immediately pointed it at my face, for an extended period of time.  Long enough that I moved because he wasn't.  We chatted for a while and I checked out a few other guns and then decided to make a purchase.   The gun I was buying was used so it had a price tag that says "out the door."  I told him give me the 4473, I'll take it.  

I fill out the 4473 while he copies my license and when he returns my license and takes the 4473, he tells me its 10 dollars for the background check.  I told him that I knew and I'd just pay for it all at once.  He says no, I have to charge you for that now.   I've never had to pay it up front but I don't mind.  I figured maybe that policy was born of the area and the pawn shop business.  Background check comes back quickly and I hand him the "out the door" price minus ten dollars and he tells me its not enough.   I give him the extra ten and tell him I thought the out the door price was out the door and I was told I was wrong.   

Finally I asked about a gun on the wall.  Its a Springfield M1A1 but the tag says "Springfield MA1 Grand."   I'm not a know-it-all so I asked if it was a special edition or something and I was told no, its a typo, its just supposed to say M1 Garand.   Then I went to know-it-all mode and told them that is NOT an M1 Garand, they are quite different rifles.   And the guys working seemed to be completely unaware.  "Really?  I didn't know.   Looks like a Garand to me."  

Overall, its a nice shop with some friendly employees but I didn't really enjoy my experience there.  

44 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Finally I asked about a gun on the wall.  Its a Springfield M1A1 but the tag says "Springfield MA1 Grand."   I'm not a know-it-all so I asked if it was a special edition or something and I was told no, its a typo, its just supposed to say M1 Garand.   Then I went to know-it-all mode and told them that is NOT an M1 Garand, they are quite different rifles.   And the guys working seemed to be completely unaware.  "Really?  I didn't know.   Looks like a Garand to me." 

Lol, I saw a picture of that on their facebook page.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

They have any used stuff?

Yessir.  All of the used stuff is the “out the door” price tag.   Be aware that it’s a lie and you’ll have to add ten dollars for the out the door price.   They’ve got a Ruger 44 carbine I really wanted to bring home but they don’t do layaway on used guns.  

Maybe the “kid” didn’t understand what “out the door” means and the owner will straighten him out.

Their prices look pretty darn good. Unless that Springfield M1A is a lot rougher than it looks in that picture; $1050 is a whole bunch less than the prices I see being asked for used. They sell for $1500 new. So that rifle is priced right for used .

That Beretta APX is $525 online price new. So $375 out the door on used is where it should be.

I don’t think they were trying to mark that M1A as a Garand. I think they were trying to let you know what a GRAND deal it is. :)

• Like 1