Yet another reason lead free is not a bad thing...

5 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/wisconsin-bald-eagle-lead-rescuers

and this is FOXNEWS so yeah....no liberal agenda...just another PSA.

Seeing like it's next to the great lakes, probably fish.  Or it could have migrated from Michigan.  Most gut piles don't have lead, at least not in that much quantity, because most of us avoid gut shots, and many times it's a passthrough. 

11 hours ago, Omega said:

Seeing like it's next to the great lakes, probably fish.  Or it could have migrated from Michigan.  Most gut piles don't have lead, at least not in that much quantity, because most of us avoid gut shots, and many times it's a passthrough. 

It doesn't take much.  A single lead sinker or shotgun pellet will kill a bird. Birds typically don't pass lead they've injested. Once it hits their stomach, it's there until it dissolves.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, peejman said:

It doesn't take much.  A single lead sinker or shotgun pellet will kill a bird. Birds typically don't pass lead they've injested. Once it hits their stomach, it's there until it dissolves.

I don't doubt that it happens now and then, but you would think that vultures, at least around here, would be dropping like flies if it were gut piles that were the problem. And with as many lead sinkers I find on the shore, you'd think there would be more instances there as well.  I think most of these incidents are isolated, just covered more.

7 hours ago, Omega said:

I don't doubt that it happens now and then, but you would think that vultures, at least around here, would be dropping like flies if it were gut piles that were the problem. And with as many lead sinkers I find on the shore, you'd think there would be more instances there as well.  I think most of these incidents are isolated, just covered more.

My wife used to work with a raptor rehab group. Most of the birds suffering from lead poisoning had been shot, so they were injured and on the ground where people could see them and get them.  A bird that injests lead in something it ate is likely to just drop dead at some point so there's not a good way to count them.

I'm sure this one got attention because it was an eagle. Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures are plentiful here so they're not going to get much attention. The California Condor is one of the more well known examples.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_condor

• Like 1

blah, blah, blah. Lead is a naturally occurring element. As stated above, most birds that die of lead poisoning were shot. Carbon monoxide is also naturally occurring and if you get into a room or cave that has 100% carbon monoxide you will probably die!! Just saying. Are raptors like bald eagles more lead intolerant than buzzards???

• Confused 1
  • Moderators
On 10/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, peejman said:

My wife used to work with a raptor rehab group. Most of the birds suffering from lead poisoning had been shot, so they were injured and on the ground where people could see them and get them.  A bird that injests lead in something it ate is likely to just drop dead at some point so there's not a good way to count them.

I'm sure this one got attention because it was an eagle. Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures are plentiful here so they're not going to get much attention. The California Condor is one of the more well known examples.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_condor

That's awesome!

jurassic-park-velociraptor.png

:D

• Haha 2
On 11/1/2019 at 10:28 AM, Dirtshooter said:

blah, blah, blah. Lead is a naturally occurring element. As stated above, most birds that die of lead poisoning were shot. Carbon monoxide is also naturally occurring and if you get into a room or cave that has 100% carbon monoxide you will probably die!! Just saying. Are raptors like bald eagles more lead intolerant than buzzards???

Bald Eagles are raptors, and they're aren't any true buzzards in North America. What people refer to as a buzzard is usually a Turkey Vulture. 

• Like 1