First Handgun

CountingRounds

Hey guys

I’m looking to buy my first handgun. It’s for self defense and range purposes. I’ve gone to the range several times and I tried quite a few out. The Glock 19 (gen 5), Glock 17 Gen 4, Canik TP9sf (also an elite), and a M&P9 Gen 1. The only one left that I wanted to try is a Springfield XD-M. Fortunately, these are all around the same price range too. Any suggestions from owners of these guns? 

3 hours ago, CountingRounds said:

Hey guys

I’m looking to buy my first handgun. It’s for self defense and range purposes. I’ve gone to the range several times and I tried quite a few out. The Glock 19 (gen 5), Glock 17 Gen 4, Canik TP9sf (also an elite), and a M&P9 Gen 1. The only one left that I wanted to try is a Springfield XD-M. Fortunately, these are all around the same price range too. Any suggestions from owners of these guns?

Would the gun also have to function as a carry gun as well?    If so, the G19 is probably the better choice of the group you've listed due to it's smaller size.     If concealment size for carry is a concern, there are many excellent choices in the compact size category.    My main carry used to be an M&P Shield, but have switched to a Sig P365.   

• Like 1

For a first handgun, I recommend a quality .22.  It's not as cool as a Glock or other 9mm.  But it will work until you have the essential experience under your belt.  It's hard to beat the Ruger automatic for price, accuracy, and reliability.

If you feel self defense is the primary reason for getting a handgun, go with the Glock 17.  It will be easier to learn with a full size pistol, and the Glock is as accurate and reliable as anything out there.

• Like 3

I buy American made when I can; in guns you always can. That may not make a difference to you. The only American made you have in that group is the M&P. I have several of those in various models and calibers.

I just bought the new M&P M2.0 Compact 4” in 40S&W. It’s a little smaller than the full size, a little bigger than my 40C, but will use it’s own 13 round mags or the 15 round mags from my full size.  I got it from Buds for $334 plus a transfer. They still have it on sale. It makes a great home defense/Car gun, range gun, or carry gun if you are okay with carrying something that big. It’s the most versatile of all the M&P models.

For a more concealable carry gun I have an M&P Shield. Not much of a range gun; but that’s not what it was designed for.

makN8Zs.jpg

• Like 2

XD-M, CZ75, Glock17, M&P, all fantastic, all reliable. What its all going to boil down too is personal preference. Then practice practice practice.

My 1st handgun was a G17, it spent 12 years by my nightstand, it has since been replaced by a CZ75 SP-01... Id trust my life with any of them though.

• Like 1

I carry mostly Glocks just because that's what I'm invested in at this point. However, if I were starting from scratch and wanted one do it all gun on a budget I'd probably go with the M&P Compact 2.0 in whatever caliber floats your boat. I would pick 9mm but .40 or 45 will serve well too I imagine. The prices just can't be beat right now on the M&P line for what you get and they have good aftermarket support.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it's for self defense/concealed carry, then lighter is better!  Stay away from heavy pistols, that you will end up not wanting to carry.  My maximum weight pistol that I carry is a SA XDs .45ACP, which weights in at 22oz unloaded.  But most of the time, It's a S&W 442 (14oz) or a Ruger LCP (10oz).  Both of those are about to be supplanted by a Ruger LC9S Pro 9mm (17oz).

The S&W 442 and the Ruger LCP are not fun range guns, due to recoil, though.  The LC9S and the SA XDs are much more fun to shoot at the range.

• Like 1

When I trained new shooters I always started with a 22 Long Rifle Revolver, or sig  semi auto pistol in 22 LR. I am a firm believer one needs to get the basics of shooting down before drifting into the higher power/ more recoil handguns. YMMV.

My latest venture is in the MP 2.0 9C semi auto pistol. I have purchased 2. Am working them into my daily carry although am not leaving my 7 shot Taurus 357 mag pocket carry for now. I am still trying to convince myself my M P are reliable enough and I can shoot them well enough to bet my life on. My M P carry 15 rounds and are flatter than the revolver but are not pocket carry guns. 

Also working on practical carry gear for the M P's.  

Edited to add; I recently read a story about the church shooting, in Colorado, where Jene Assam stopped the shooter with her 9 MM Police carry pistol. She was a former Police Officer and was a Security Team Volunteer, at her church. The guy that was also on the Security Team, and leader of it, also arrived at the scene of the shooter and had to prepare to face a heavily armed shooter carrying  an AR 15 rifle, and also a handgun.

He prepared  himself, behind cover, to intercept the shooter who was coming down the hallway. He said he looked at the guy, pulled his weapon, and then realized he was confronting a heavily armed shooter with a literal mouse gun.  He had a Taurus tip up barrel 32 mini pistol. His pistol had a 1 7/8" brl, with 7 shots of 32 acp ammo. The thought flashed in his mind, how am I going to do this. Fear entered him with that realization. He told himself how stupid is this! Here I am supposed to be an intelligent man standing here facing a crazed determined shooter with not even a good rock. 

Fortunately Jene Assam appeared, in his sight line, coming from another adjoining hallway, just ahead of him, and intercepted and  stopped the perp with her duty  Glock service pistol( IMS, A Glock Mdl 17, 9MM that she was thoroughly trained with).  The guy said to himself, "Never again, will I go to work with a gun that is very easy to carry, but is an inadequate mouse gun. 

I could not imagine standing in a hallway facing an AR 15 armed shooter with that gun. I actually purchased one of those guns(tip up brl 32)  years ago. Didn't take me long to realize that thing would be practically useless in a real combat situation, and further more was not designed for that purpose. I want a substantial handgun, and would prefer a long gun, but realize that is not always possible, most times.  I refuse to carry a small gun knowing how inadequate they are for combat. Small guns are designed to be get off me guns, hand to hand tools. At my age, and with my disabilities, I don't do hand to hand very effectively, any longer. 

Since this is your first gun, do train yourself. My best advice, carry a substantial weapon.  Wont be easy to carry, but one can dress around the gun. Like the guy on the Security Team realized, much too late, you wont be so under gunned, "HOPEFULLY". You will have a tool "Possibly" up to the job.  Then it will be up to your Training, and your ability with an appropriate size revolver or pistol.

My recommendation is nothing smaller than 38 Spl or 9 MM. Your opinion might be different, and that is  O K. I pocket carry a 7 shot 357 mag revolver.  

This may anger some, but it is fact. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Before you decide, check out the Walther PPS M2 in 9mm. Small size, narrow width for concealment, very accurate, mild recoil, shoots well. Great ergonomics on the grip. Owned 2, carry one every day. JMHO

I just noticed these a couple months ago. Now deciding between this and the Shield.