Times change

43 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Go buy a new Harley and a new Honda. Do no work on either, and see which one you can ride the most miles.

I grew up on Kawasaki’s; 13 of them. Some of my friends rode Honda’s, but they mainly stayed in the back because they were embarrassed or got their feeling hurt when we really cranked on. As I got up in age, I decided to try an old man’s motorcycle; so, I bought a GoldWing. It was a POS and quit on me while I was running down the highway at 100. In 95 I decided that if I’m going to have an old man’s bagger, I should have the most sought-after bagger in the world. I bought a new Harley TourGlide. I’ve rode it all over the country.

Somehow, I got old and fat and now I’m a fair-weather rider, as I’ve paid my dues and have nothing to prove. Its too hot most of the time in Tennessee for comfortable motorcycle riding. The wife tells me we may not be going back to Illinois as planned. So recently I’ve been kicking around the idea of selling the Harley and buying a cruise-in car. Like a 68-72 Chevelle or maybe another Corvette.

Young men will continue to learn to ride on the ricers and will buy them when they are young because like most of us; that’s what they can afford. Most, when they hit their 30’s and 40’s will be able to afford a Harley and if their wife lets them; they will be able to get what they really want.

You are probably in your 40’s; so go get that Honda and ride it. But you gotta promise us that when you step up, and you will if you ride much, that you will tell us when you join the ranks of the motorcycle elite. :)

EDIT: Oops, forgot to put in a smiley face.

Edited by DaveTN

Craftsman definitely started to decline before being made in China.  I have a made-in-USA 1/2" drive socket set with the teardrop shaped ratchet and it's a real knuckle-buster.  It finally crapped out maybe two years and they gave me another American made replacement that is slightly better.  Couldn't believe they still had any.  

There aren't many options like old school Craftsman tools any more.  Either super expensive high end stuff or cheap Chinese stuff.  I've recently bought Channellock brand American made screwdrivers and Taiwan made socket sets that remind me of old Craftsman stuff.  China does actually make some decent tools here and there, but I try not to buy anything Chinese if possible.  

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I grew up on Kawasaki’s; 13 of them. Some of my friends rode Honda’s, but they mainly stayed in the back because they were embarrassed or got their feeling hurt when we really cranked on. As I got up in age, I decided to try an old man’s motorcycle; so, I bought a GoldWing. It was a POS and quit on me while I was running down the highway at 100. In 95 I decided that if I’m going to have an old man’s bagger, I should have the most sought-after bagger in the world. I bought a new Harley TourGlide. I’ve rode it all over the country.

Somehow, I got old and fat and now I’m a fair-weather rider, as I’ve paid my dues and have nothing to prove. Its too hot most of the time in Tennessee for comfortable motorcycle riding. The wife tells me we may not be going back to Illinois as planned. So recently I’ve been kicking around the idea of selling the Harley and buying a cruise-in car. Like a 68-72 Chevelle or maybe another Corvette.

Young men will continue to learn to ride on the ricers and will buy them when they are young because like most of us; that’s what they can afford. Most, when they hit their 30’s and 40’s will be able to afford a Harley and if their wife lets them; they will be able to get what they really want.

You are probably in your 40’s; so go get that Honda and ride it. But you gotta promise us that when you step up, and you will if you ride much, that you will tell us when you join the ranks of the motorcycle elite. :)

EDIT: Oops, forgot to put in a smiley face.

I went to an auction this morning you’d have liked. They had a dozen or so classic cars. Among them were 3  Corvettes. Two 64’s and a 65 big block convertible. Alas, I came in second on one of the 64’s. They didn’t let the other two go.

And, yes. My wife won’t let me have a motorcycle.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I went to an auction this morning you’d have liked. They had a dozen or so classic cars. Among them were 3  Corvettes. Two 64’s and a 65 big block convertible. Alas, I came in second on one of the 64’s. They didn’t let the other two go.

And, yes. My wife won’t let me have a motorcycle.

That just means she likes having you around. If she suddenly changes her tune, especially after you up your life insurance, then I’d be concerned. 😆😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

The rebuild kit arrived and the ratchet is up and running again.  Thanks again to Chucktshoes.  Apparently I am with tools as I am with firearms.  I decided to disassemble, clean and lube all of my ratchets after I rebuilt the one.  After going through my boxes and gathering all my 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch ratchets I came up with a total of 16 ratchets 12 of which were USA Craftsman with an S-K, two Snap-On and a Proto.  As I looked around my shop I realized that I am the same way with all my tools and assorted "guy stuff".  This is when I realized two things, 1 - There is no way I can ever move again, and 2- my kids are really going to hate me when I am gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, tacops said:

my kids are really going to hate me when I am gone.

No they are going to appreciate the fact that you have nice tools that you took good care of. Plus I would wager that they won't hate you, that is unless they hate you now. If they do, make a will and give the good tools to a deserving person.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, tacops said:

The rebuild kit arrived and the ratchet is up and running again.  Thanks again to Chucktshoes.  Apparently I am with tools as I am with firearms.  I decided to disassemble, clean and lube all of my ratchets after I rebuilt the one.  After going through my boxes and gathering all my 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch ratchets I came up with a total of 16 ratchets 12 of which were USA Craftsman with an S-K, two Snap-On and a Proto.  As I looked around my shop I realized that I am the same way with all my tools and assorted "guy stuff".  This is when I realized two things, 1 - There is no way I can ever move again, and 2- my kids are really going to hate me when I am gone.

I’m happy to hear that about your ratchet. The older I get the more put off I am by the disposability of everything. Buying quality once and doing maintenance and repairs to keep it running really appeals to me. It just feels right somehow. 

• Like 1

I have a set of Craftsman 1/4" drive sockets that my parents bought me for Christmas 49 years ago.  I've broken three or four through the years and have always gotten a free replacement.

Funny how tools can bring back memories.  That particular Christmas my Dad was out of work and he wanted to get me a gift that I could learn to use on fixing things.  I think of him every time I use the set . . . he's been gone since 1991.

• Like 3

I hit a few automotive flea markets every year and you can find older Craftsman and other good US built tools used for less than new Chinese tools. I don't need more tools but I fill in broken and lost pieces as needed. Last I bought was a 3/8 drive Craftsman ratchet for $8 looked almost new.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, Dirtshooter said:

No they are going to appreciate the fact that you have nice tools that you took good care of. Plus I would wager that they won't hate you, that is unless they hate you now. If they do, make a will and give the good tools to a deserving person.

From what I see at estate sales, that isn't likely.   People don't care about their family's stuff except for what kinda money it can bring them.   It's sad.  

11 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I can’t remember if it was mentioned here or not, but Stanley Black & Decker announced earlier this year that they are investing $90 million to move a fair chunk of Craftsman production to Texas. 

I think their end goal is get craftsman to nearly 100 percent US assembled.   I think they are still going to be using foreign materials and parts and unless their QC goes way up, I'd still probably avoid them. 

• Like 1