Smokepole season tomorrow

Hi all, how many of you are going muzzle loading hunting tomorrow? I actually have about quit hunting, tell my friends I don't hate them as much as I once did. I didn't actually hate them btw. Went scouting on Monday and found some fresh rubs and fresh doe scat, so I figure that is a good place to park my butt in the a.m. Good luck and be safe for all that are going to the woods.

• Like 1

Well as usual for me, I was running a little late and my gate lock was frozen. Had to go back inside to get a cigarette lighter to thaw the lock. Drove to my neighbors house and got there at exactly 5:42 a.m. which was the legal hour to shoot this morning. I got all my stuff and headed out, I had to cross an open field about 40 acres, and when I got where I could see there is a deer standing broadside, the .45 cal Encore at 129 yards and down went the deer. I thought at first I had seen antlers, and he had some about 8 1/2" long, a nice young about 140 lb. He is now resting peacefully in an Igloo ice chest in the barn. This is now the shortest deer hunt, may have taken 8 minutes. Previously shortest hunt was also muzzleloading season back in Mississippi and it took about 30 minutes from time I got out of truck until I pulled the trigger. I got into my ladder stand very quietly and you know all the stuff you carry while muzzleloading and got it all situated and it was just getting light where you could see and about 17 yards from the stand this doe is just standing there. These hunts do not resemble a lot of my hunts where I don't see any deer . More than 1 time I have sit from before daylight until dark and not seen anything. If no critters at all are moving, get up and go home!!

• Like 4

A little girl I attend church with killed a deer yesterday that is believed to make the Boone and Crockett record book! TWRA is supposed to have a piece about it upcoming on Facebook. I'm guessing she's about 11 or 12 years old.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=422745991977906&set=pob.100000092242731&type=3&theater

I'm not a Facebook guy, so hopefully this link will work.

ETA: it green scored 174-1/2.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'm not a Facebook guy, so hopefully this link will work.

Well Greg that makes 2 of us. Sort of like cell phones, if it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't have one. Where we live it doesn't work much of the time. Yea I have heard of other you kids killing big deer and elk, kind of beginners luck I guess.

• Like 1