Registration

chipperi

Ok not sure if this is the right place but there didn't seem to be a better one. On occasion I buy a cheap AR lower when I can find them, they sit and wait until I decide what to build them into. I bought one yesterday while in Sevierville. The new ATF forms now specifically ask if it is a long gun or handgun. WHY? I haven't made up my mind yet. So now it looks like I have to build it into a long gun because I had to choose on the spot, and I just recently built a pistol. It just don't make sense. Oh and bought a new carry gun Saturday but that is for another thread.    

20 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

from the form....

(Check or mark all that apply)

Ahh Dealer said I had to check one.  So my wife want's a M4 Style so I guess it's all good. I disappeared for a long time kinda broke but now back on my feet and looking to replace what I had to sell. 

8 minutes ago, chipperi said:

Ahh Dealer said I had to check one.  So my wife want's a M4 Style so I guess it's all good. I disappeared for a long time kinda broke but now back on my feet and looking to replace what I had to sell. 

I’m just saying that is what the form says. If you decide to build an AR pistol; you have to do your research and be very careful. Someone at some point is going to be made an example of. The courts can choose to go by the law; not what the BATF says. Don't be the test dummy.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, chipperi said:

$38 ATI lower....Golf and Guns in Sevierville

If they didn't explain the question (and in this case that explanation should include the reasons one might opt for pistol vs rifle), I'd be inclined to not go back there...

Yeah maybe it's not the end of the world, but it's not exactly the wrong frosting on your donut.

Why would it ever be a problem which of those boxes were checked when you bought it?  Since it was an in-state purchase it had absolutely no bearing on whether you could legally purchase it. If authorities show up at your door asking you to prove that you built it into the configuration checked in a box on a 4473 then there’s a lot more going on...like a registration process. 

1 hour ago, i1afli said:

Why would it ever be a problem which of those boxes were checked when you bought it?  Since it was an in-state purchase it had absolutely no bearing on whether you could legally purchase it. If authorities show up at your door asking you to prove that you built it into the configuration checked in a box on a 4473 then there’s a lot more going on...like a registration process. 

I never worry about a knock on the door, it's when it gets checked, rightly or wrongly, in transit to the range, do to another incident, or just a LEO not knowing the difference between SBR and pistol.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, RED333 said:

So you have an AR 223 platform rifle in the safe at home. Right next to the rifle is an AR 223 platform pistol. Who can see where this is going?

They are going to have a gender confused love child that wont know which box to check?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:33 PM, Erich said:

They are going to have a gender confused love child that wont know which box to check?

Well the form makes you pick male or female too doesn't it? Where the other 55 genders! 

I figure when the time comes to worry about stuff like that, then we got bigger stuff to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So, if you are interested in a new AR pistol and can save some money by buying the exact same complete upper and lower separately, is it possibly wiser to buy the completed gun so the “handgun” box is checked instead of other/frame/receiver?  Or, would the completed lower (with brace installed) already require that the “handgun” box gets checked?  Which would be more prudent, or is there any difference, or am I just wearing tinfoil?

Edited by deerslayer
24 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

So, if you are interested in a new AR pistol and can save some money by buying the exact same complete upper and lower separately, is it possibly wiser to buy the completed gun so the “pistol” box is checked instead of other/frame/receiver?  Or, would the completed lower (with brace installed) require that the “pistol” box gets checked? Which would be more prudent, or is there any difference, or am I just wearing tinfoil?

Legally, the pistol is a pistol and should be identified as such (obviously) while the bare receiver is neither a rifle nor a pistol (regardless of any kind of stock or manufacturer's description) until it's actually completed and capable of firing a round.

Practically, some FFL holders don't train their staff to do it right, or simply don't care themselves so buying a complete pistol is the route most likely to ensure that your new gun is a pistol on paper.

FWIW, if an FFL doesn't seem to care about getting stuff right (compliant with the law) I try not to spend much money there, because I don't want them jacking my stuff up. I also try to avoid busting the staff's chops, since they likely don't get paid enough to deal with someone who dislikes a decision that no one asked them about in the first place.

Edited by TomInMN
Clarity