Pending Legislation

Guest Todd@CIS

Guest Todd@CIS

There are some bills pending in the Tennessee General Assembly that

we would really like to see passed. If you will go to

www.legislature.state.tn.us you will see a link to Contact My

Legislator. There is helpful information on how to contact your

state representatives, and to ensure that your message gets through.

There is also a link to help you identify your state representatives

and state senators, and get their e-mail and snail mail addresses,

and their phone numbers.

Please take a few minutes to contact these legislators. With the new

make-up of the state legislature, this is the best chance we have had

in years of getting favorable legislation passed.

Currently pending bills which need your support.

SB 0084* Carrying handgun in building where alcohol is served. Allows

person with handgun carry permit who is not consuming alcohol to

carry handgun in establishment that serves alcohol or beer and

derives 60 percent or more of its gross annual revenue from food

sales, except if establishment has posted notice prohibiting weapons.

Adds to persons for whom the department shall suspend or revoke

handgun carry permit: person convicted of Class A misdemeanor of

possessing a firearm where alcohol is served. (S: Stanley) (The

Commercial Appeal, Memphis Flyer, and other opponents will call this

the "Guns in Bars Bill". Notice it is NOT about bars, but about

restaurants.)

SB 0172

HB 0221*

Confidentiality of handgun carry permit applications. Makes

confidential information pertaining to handgun carry permits relative

to public inspection or publication. Authorizes law enforcement

agencies to access such information for investigating or prosecuting

purposes. Specifies that publication of such information by anyone

other than the permit holder is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by

fine only. (S: Ketron; H: Bass)

House Status: Introduced 2/9/2009

SB 0262*

Handgun permit holder allowed to carry gun in parks. Authorizes

anyone with handgun carry permit to possess firearm in local, state,

or federal parks in TN or in a refuge, public hunting area, wildlife

management area, or on national forest land in TN. Declares that no

state or local government entity may prohibit anyone with a handgun

carry permit from possessing a firearm in any public park in TN. (S:

Jackson)

Courtesy of RangerMaster in Memphis

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

Senator Tracy,

Knowing that you have stood up for the 2nd Amendment in the past, I probably don't have to write this, but I wanted to voice my opinion. I do hope that you vigorously support SB0084, SB0172, and SB0262.

As a local police sergeant, I believe these bills will make our great State safer.

Thank you Sir,

Todd Bryant

xxxx xxxxxxxx Ave.

Murfreesboro

My Representative is Kent Coleman, notoriously anti-gun. Wasted my time, but I sent him one too.

You forgot one:

*HB 0053

Handgun Permits - As introduced, makes information contained in handgun carry permit applications and renewals, information provided to agencies to investigate applicant, and records maintained relative to the permit application confidential and creates Class E felony of unauthorized publication of permit information or records. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13

Guest Todd@CIS

I received this response fron Senator Tracy today:

2-11-09

Todd,

Appreciate the email. I am supportive of these bills.

Best regards,

Jim

As of yet, I have received no response from Representative Coleman.

Well, that is a better response than I got from my legislators: Rep. Sherry Jones, and Senator Jack Johnson.

I sent both of them email 3 days ago regarding this Commercial Appeal HCP database, and urging them to support the appropriate legislation. Neither of them have even had the common courtesy to respond. Bums.

Guest marine77

as i have seen it on other boards and on other threads, i would prefer sb0084 to be a 'clean' bill with no percentage this or that. I would much prefer it to be like it is now instead of this passing.

Guest ProguninTN
I agree this whole percentage thing bothers me.

I oppose the whole percentage business. I bet the only reason that's in there is to pander to people don't mind guns at Applebees/O'Charley's etc., but don't want guns at Wildhorse Saloon or Tootsie's Orchid Lounge.

Guest Todd@CIS
I oppose the whole percentage business. I bet the only reason that's in there is to pander to people don't mind guns at Applebees/O'Charley's etc., but don't want guns at Wildhorse Saloon or Tootsie's Orchid Lounge.

Agreed. The % thing may not be perfect, but it's better than what we have now.

Greetings,

As you may be aware, there are several handgun carry bills being introduced this session which would expand a permit holders carry rights within the state of Tennessee. These bills, SB 0084, SB 0172 / HB 0221 and SB 0262, would allow a permit holder to possess a handgun where alcohol is served, provided the said holder is not consuming alcohol at that time. I do fully support the idea that alcohol should not be consumed at any time while in possession of a handgun, and I believe that is a very necessary restriction. However, there is absolutely no logic behind prohibiting a non-consuming handgun permit holder from lawfully possessing a handgun where alcohol is being served.

Another bill would expand the holders right to lawfully possess a handgun in any park. This piece of legislation is also a very reasonable and necessary expansion to the current prohibition. I believe the new speaker said it best (although I believe unintended) when he said there are criminal elements in parks. Exactly. So why in the world would the state deny a lawful permit holder the right to defend themselves should this criminal element arise against them? Any reasonable person would conclude that this ban would only disarm law abiding citizens, and arm the criminals. Obviously, the criminal is going to have a weapon regardless of any law enacted. It is just a fact. Do we need gunfights in parks? No.... Should a lawful citizen have the right to protect himself and his family in a park should that threat present itself? Absolutely...

Being a former police officer, I can attest to the criminal element. Let's face it, The state of Tennessee is not as safe as it use to be. Laws are suppose to protect citizens from intrusion and harm. The laws I have mentioned could most certainly cause harm if not addressed in a proper and reasonable manner. Please be reminded that it is not the permit holders you have to worry about. A holder has to jump through a lot of government hoops and stay out of trouble to be able to get and retain the permit in the first place. Criminals do not have to do anything but shove a pistol into the faces of lawful people and take their life, and if the victim is very lucky, only their property. Please do not penalize the good citizens but enacting ineffective legislation that only helps the criminals. Just a couple of days ago near Memphis two men cut the neck of a good Samaritan who stopped to help them after it appeared they had an emergency. It was a trap. They carjacked him and tried to kill him but he got away from them before they finished the job. To think this could not happen in let's say, Cedars of Lebanon state park, is just ridiculous.

Please support all handgun carry legislation that favors the law abiding people of Tennessee. Not the criminals who don't abide by the law in the first place.

KW

Guest tntrucknut

SB1908

As introduced, enacts the "Second Amendment Protection Act" prohibiting the sale of microstamped firearms or ammunition in this state. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Introduced 2-18-09

Someone in Nashville still believes in the second amendment

Sorry, didn't see the other thread concerning this bill by Senator Jackson.

Edited by tntrucknut
revision

Gun laws get push in Tennessee House committee

Bills would OK firearms in bars, parks; ban printing names of permit holders

By Richard Locker (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Thursday, February 19, 2009

NASHVILLE -- The legislature began fast-tracking bills Thursday to let people with carry permits take guns into state and local parks and establishments serving alcohol -- all places where they are currently banned.

The House handgun study committee also recommended making secret the list of Tennessee's 219,236 gun-carry permit holders and to penalize any publication of their identities. Shelby County has 32,934 permit licensees.

The panel recommended four bills on which Chairman Joe McCord, R-Maryville, said there is broad consensus to approve. All four are set for the criminal justice subcommittee next week and could reach floor votes in March.

STORY

Tennessee handgun carry permit database in The Commercial Appeal's Data Center

Lawmakers said the parks bill would prohibit cities and counties from restricting handguns in their local parks, playgrounds and ball fields.

Current Tennessee law outlaws guns in all state and local parks, playgrounds and ball fields other than by law enforcement officers.

The bill allowing guns in places serving alcohol, including restaurants, was recommended with a provision forbidding guns after 11 p.m.

The new Republican majority has made the bills' passage a virtual certainty after years of defeat. McCord said The Commercial Appeal's posting of a searchable database of permit holders on its Web site also prompted swift action.

"We've been working on this for several years, actually, but there has been a tremendous outcry to legislative offices from constituents across the state in response to that. They don't think the lists should be published."

National Rifle Association lobbyist Heidi Keesling discussed scheduling the bills in committees with lawmakers after the committee adjourned.

Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, who moved for approval of the secrecy bill, said "It's no concern of mine" when asked afterward if the bill's penalties for publishing raised First Amendment concerns.

Chris Peck, editor of The Commercial Appeal, said, "Clearly, the Second Amendment gives Tennessee citizens the right to be armed. That's not the issue here. People of Tennessee need to think about whether there is a public interest in knowing who is permitted to carry a weapon in the state.

"I think there is. When a concealed or carried weapon comes out public, what happens next with that gun can affect the lives of everyone within range of that firearm."

Peck said commercialappeal.com's link to the data has attracted more than 500,000 page views in the last three months.

"To me, this shows the level of public interest in this public information," he said.

Officials in Memphis and its suburbs expressed differing views on the guns-in-parks bill.

Memphis City Councilman Shea Flinn, a member of the parks committee, said he understands allowing licensees to take guns into large state parks but questioned the wisdom of allowing them in smaller city parks.

"If you feel like you can't take your kid to the swing sets without packing heat, we've got a much bigger problem than just throwing more guns at it," he said.

Arlington Mayor Russell Wiseman said, "Personal protection is something that people feel strongly about, but I don't know why it should be so pressing to extend that to parks."

Germantown Mayor Sharon Goldsworthy said making it easier to bring guns into city parks and ball fields "feels ill-advised. This is not a good mix of where guns should be.

"We've worked hard to create an environment that feels safe."

Gun bills

A Tennessee legislative study committee on handguns recommended approval of four bills to serve as the basis for legislative action this year, all subject to debate and amendments:

HB962: Allows handgun-carry permit holders to take guns into places serving alcohol until 11 p.m., unless owners post signs banning guns.

HB959: Makes gun-carry permit records confidential and levies fines for publishing them.

HB960: Allows permit holders to carry guns into all state and local parks.

HB961: Allows permit holders to carry handguns into state wildlife management areas.

More info: For more details and to contact lawmakers, go to capitol.tn.gov.

--Richard Locker: (615) 255-4923

Staff reporters Jimmie Covington, Matt Woo and Amos Maki contributed to this story.

Guest General_Mayhem

Why aren't we seeing a bill for "parking lot carry"? My Memphis-based employer has posted its parking lots so I can't leave a firearm locked in my truck when I'm at work. While the new legislature is hard at work fixing these laws, I'd sure like to see this fixed so that I don't have to drive into a gun-free zone in order to feed my family.

Why aren't we seeing a bill for "parking lot carry"? My Memphis-based employer has posted its parking lots so I can't leave a firearm locked in my truck when I'm at work. While the new legislature is hard at work fixing these laws, I'd sure like to see this fixed so that I don't have to drive into a gun-free zone in order to feed my family.

In related news;

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=newsHead1 align=middle>Federal Court Sides With NRA and Workers</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=copy>Friday, February 20, 2009</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=copy>This week, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously in support of an Oklahoma law allowing employees to store legally owned firearms in locked, private motor vehicles while parked in employer parking lots. This decision upholds NRA-backed legislation passed in 2004.

"This is a victory for the millions of American workers who have been denied the right to protect themselves while commuting between their homes and their workplace," said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

"Their effort to overturn the law was aimed at skirting the will of the American people, and the intent of legislatures across this country while eviscerating Right-to-Carry laws. This ruling is a slap at the corporate elitists who have no regard for the constitutional rights of law abiding American workers."

In March 2004, the Oklahoma legislature passed an amendment holding employers criminally liable for prohibiting employees from storing their legally owned firearms in locked vehicles on company property. A number of corporations subsequently filed suit in opposition to the new laws, alleging they were unconstitutionally vague; an unconstitutional taking of private property; and preempted by various federal statutes. The lower court ruled in favor of the injunction.

"This issue was contrived by the gun control lobby who goaded corporations into doing their dirty work for them," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. "However, this ruling is a vindication for every hardworking and lawful man and woman whose basic right to self-defense was taken away on a whim by corporate lawyers. NRA is prepared to defend this right and to ensure the safety of every American worker."

In October 2008, Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry (D) and Attorney General Drew Edmondson appealed the lower court decision to strike down the NRA-backed worker protection laws to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. This week's opinion, handed down by Circuit Judges Paul J. Kelly, Bobby R. Baldock, and Michael W. McConnell, reversed the lower court's grant of a permanent injunction.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I received this response fron Senator Tracy today:

2-11-09

Todd,

Appreciate the email. I am supportive of these bills.

Best regards,

Jim

As of yet, I have received no response from Representative Coleman.

I'd imagine that you won't receive a reply from Coleman. I sent him an email several months ago to address these issues, and I never heard anything back from him.

I just emailed both him and Tracy ths morning.

HB1395/SB1724

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, prohibits employers from prohibiting persons possessing a handgun carry permit from transporting and storing a firearm out of sight in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for vehicles.

Guest VolMickey

Just sent my State Rep a personal note of support for these bills. Let us know how it turns out, if it doesn't make the news. :popcorn:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

HB1395/SB1724

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, prohibits employers from prohibiting persons possessing a handgun carry permit from transporting and storing a firearm out of sight in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for vehicles.

I wonder how this would affect employes of federal locations like the DOE sites we have here in Oak Ridge? Firearms and ammo are strictly forbidden anywhere on the property.

I wonder how this would affect employes of federal locations like the DOE sites we have here in Oak Ridge? Firearms and ammo are strictly forbidden anywhere on the property.

It wouldn't....Federal law/regulations would trump state law.

So really wouldn't help me working on DoD property either...

Guest General_Mayhem
HB1395/SB1724

Awesome! Thanks for providing some encouragement and hope!