.22 vs. 22 MagI

Luckyforward

7 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

I love .22s!  Thinking about a .22 Mag Henry lever action.  Opinions from all of you about the .22 Mag round.

I love .22’s also and I never had even a little bit of desire to own a .22mag. Just like me, everyone is going to have an opinion. But the only one that matters is yours. Is there some reason or application you think a .22mag would be good for? I’m not saying you shouldn’t get it; I’m just curious why you want it?

Discuss. :stare:

• Like 1

I love .22’s also but just don’t see the need for a .22 Mag unless you hunt..a lot, or use it in a self defense revolver.  The latter is a whole other discussion.

They are fun, accurate, and you know you’re shooting a gun when you pull the trigger but will it really do anything a .22 lr can’t?  Maybe at longer distances.

Plus ammo is not cheap.  $10ish+ for 50 rounds is quite a bit for a rim fire.

Edited by Garufa

For going to the range and shooting holes in paper 22 is plenty good. If you want to varmint hunt 22mag is way better at that. If you want something different look into 5mm Remington, its a necked down 22mag, much more accurate than 22mag. Don't know if anyone makes a rifle chambered for it any more. 

I’m not a hunter, and I don’t kill animals, I can’t even catch a groundhog in a trap (although I’ve managed to catch everything else in the area). My “Varmint” rifle is a .308 Winchester. ;)

But if you need something more powerful than a .22LR, that doesn’t cost a lot, I would think the obvious answer would be a .223 Remington??

As said before, this is your rifle so do what you want, but I agree with the general sentiment of others.   If it were me, I'd get the .22 LR version Henry.    I do have "one" 22 mag but it is the form of the extra cylinder that came with my Ruger Super Single Six I got as my first handgun many moons ago.    Honestly that cylinder hasn't seen much use, it's just too expensive compared to what you get, which seems to be mainly more noise when shooting paper targets.   .   

4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

But if you need something more powerful than a .22LR, that doesn’t cost a lot, I would think the obvious answer would be a .223 Remington??

That's my set up.  I keep both a .22 and a .223 handy.  Squirrels to deer I'm covered with those two rounds.  

• Like 1

Biggest difference is in hunting. I once shot a 70 lb redbone hound, that was killing calves, with a 22 mag. Hit him, at 40 yards, in the chest as he was running toward me. He looked like a stovepipe afterwards. Big difference in power over the 22 LR.  I have one that is scoped. Good gun for a limited purpose. 

• Like 2

I'll throw the 17HMR out there for discussion.  I have a 17HMR based on the reading/research I did back when I was looking.  Numerous comments about the 17HMR is more accurate than the 22 mag but I don't have a 22mag to be able to compare the two.  17HMR ammo is $10-12/box of 50, but is fun to shoot just like any other rimfire cartridge is.  17HMR is capable of taking out foxes, groundhogs, etc., up to 150 yds according to numerous comments/posts on different forums.  Comments indicate head shots are common on squirrels, and pretty much required due to the vmax type bullets do a lot of damage with body shots.  

This topic was visited not to long ago and just to save repeating some of the opinions, Heres that post. I wrote a rather lengthy reply since IMO, the cartridge is dam near what you could call a jack of all trades.  Cost has come down considerably with Web purchases of just over 7 bucks a box for Feds and 6 plus a box for Armscor (made in Victor MT now)  here at Surplus https://www.surplusammo.com/categories/rimfire-ammo/22-magnum-wmr-ammo.html

Anyway, as I describe in my reply to xsubsailor, when 50 rounds can fit into your pocket and handle a variety of jobs, its a winner in my book.

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/111268-22-magnum-rifle/

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 2

At one time, I was deluding myself into thinking Id survive TEOTWAWKI, and bought guns/ammo based on that premise...well, not entirely on that premise but that was in the back of my mind at least a little bit when i was buying.    I ended up with a variety of calibers,  pistol and rifle, including .22LR/WMR.  Still have both of those in pistols and rifles, and probably will keep them, as I like them all, and have plenty of ammo stocked up for both. I DO want to thin my herd so to speak, of multiples, at least, and I might eliminate some calibers altogether, like 30-30, since I dont have a lot of ammo in that caliber. 

6 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

From all the feedback I''m leaning towards a Henry Lever Action .22.   I already own a Winchester Model 63 semi-auto (grew up with that gun) so I thought a lever action would be plinkin' fun!

Before you drop the hammer on that, handle the Henry pump action 22 mag. Ergonomically speaking, the lever is nothing short of awkward by comparison. I don't buy much at all in the way of new guns, but If I had to scratch that kind of itch, I'd do that pump without thinking twice on it. I have a number of various lever guns and a couple old Marlin pump 22's. I like em both but a good pump action walks away from a lever in handling hands down.  

• Like 1

I also have a Taurus 3" brl 22 magnum revolver. Unless you shoot Speer Short Brl ammo in it, the revolver will not burn all the powder.  Standing in front of a target at 5 yards, after firing the regular 22 Mag ammo you get unburned powder residue holes in the target.  

The revolver shoots a lot harder than a regular 22 lr. 

I have my scoped Marlin bolt action 22 mag sighted in at 75 yards. I have had it for 25 years and I purchased it at Wal Mart for $139.00. I hunted varmints with it on my farm. At that distance I can shoot less than 1" groups of 5 any day of the week. Of course that is off sandbags now, because at my age  with my eyes, I can not shoot as well as the rifle can off hand, any longer.

Don't own a lever gun in 22 mag but do own one in 38Spl/357 Mag. It is my families favorite rifle and every thanksgiving we get it out and burn a couple hundred rounds of 38Spl.

I agree with the others, if you are only shooting paper go with the 22LR. Big difference in cost. My Marlin Magnum is pretty much a safe queen now, but I would not sell it. I have a scoped  Marlin mdl 60 I squirrel hunt with in 22 LR. 

Edited to add; I am going to purchase a Caldwell Led Sled to use while sighting in on my new shooting range. Hope to be using it for my new Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor. Are you listening Santa???

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1