New Deer Rifle

pop pop

I am thinking of purchasing a new deer rifle. Everyone is telling me to get a 6.5 Creedmoor. If you have any experience with the 6.5, please tell me why everyone is so stuck on the Creedmoor. 

I am an old school 06 kind of man. Weatherby Vanguard 2 is said to be guaranteed to hold 1" at 100 yards. 

Want to stay under $1,000.00 for rifle and scope. Also what scope would you purchase? 

How far out do you think you'll be taking shots?  I use the ole .308 but I've looked at 6.5 Creedmoor a few times (not for hunting).  6.5 has less recoil, cuts the wind better and has less drop than the 308, but inside 500yds isn't substantially better.  308 has more bullet choices currently.  There's a decent comparison on palmetto arms blog.  That said, if you are only going out a couple hundred yards and like 30-06, get a 30-06.

https://www.primaryarms.com/blog/6_5-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester-caliber-battle

• Like 1

At normal hunting distances, you're better off just picking the cartridge that you think looks the coolest. Anything based off the 308 or 30-06 will work fine for deer. Bullet selection makes more of a difference than if you shoot a 270 or a 243. Push it out past 400 yards and things change quickly. Shooting targets at 1k is a whole different matter. 

For a scope, EuroOptics is running a closeout on certain Nikons, several in the 4-16x range and FFP (about $350).  Thats plenty of magnification for hunting within a few hundred yards.   I bought a scope from them recently and it arrived pretty quick.  They are a popular place to get scopes on another long range forum.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Nikon-Tactical-Closeouts.aspx

Edited by Shorty
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

I am thinking of purchasing a new deer rifle. Everyone is telling me to get a 6.5 Creedmoor. If you have any experience with the 6.5, please tell me why everyone is so stuck on the Creedmoor. 

I am an old school 06 kind of man. Weatherby Vanguard 2 is said to be guaranteed to hold 1" at 100 yards. 

Want to stay under $1,000.00 for rifle and scope. Also what scope would you purchase? 

You've had some really great advice so far. Can you tell us how you plan to hunt deer with this gun? (What your expected hunting situations are, or what role you want it to fill.)

Everyone's super hot on the Creedmoor rounds because marketing. That's not to take anything away from them, because they're certainly capable, but they're just a really small improvement over existing calibers. The average hunter will realize no benefit by selling a .260 or .243 to pick up a 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor.

3 hours ago, pop pop said:

Everyone is telling me to get a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Kids.

Nothing wrong with the old school 06. Military surplus ammo still available for trigger time. I’d go with the .308 Winchester. Besides being the best rifle round known to man, every possible bullet is available from cheap military FMJ to the highest quality match ammo in the world.

Tons of bolts and scope combinations available for under a grand. I like Remington 700, Leupold.

• Like 2

If all I was shooting is deer, I would get a 243.  Flat shooting, low recoil and will kill any deer in TN.   Ammo available anywhere.  And for the money, Tikka's are hard to beat.   Savage's shoot well, they just look like crap.

Here is a Synthetic with Stainless barrel for $638.  Use all of the saved money for a good scope.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/tikka-t3x-lite-243win-ss-22.html

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

To answer a couple of questions.....

Anything starting with a '2' or better will kill TN deer at all ranges you'll ever be shooting. Caliber is totally subjective, to be honest. My go-to deer rifle is a 6.5 Swede, among a stable of .308s, '-06s, .358s etc..... It's soft recoil, flat trajectory & wind-bucking ability at longer ranges find me picking it up more often than not. I've shot deer with bullets from 95gn, right up to 160s & they've all universally killed the deer, dead as a wedge. It's far from being my lightest or prettiest gun, but I know exactly how it shoots from the muzzle out to 500yds (if need be)

I'm an unabashed fan of Vortex optics. Scopes, binos, the works. My 6.5 is topped with a bottom of the range, $150 Crossfire 4-12x42 (I think) with the bdc reticle & I don't think I've ever cranked it above 8 power (I actually prefer 2-7 power scopes for hunting)

If I HAD to only keep one hunting gun for the rest of my life, it'd be my Tikka T3x in .30-06 It'll happily kill anything I'm ever going to shoot with it (including a 450lb cow elk, a couple of weeks back)

• Like 4

I have considered the Ruger American along with the Weatherby Vanguard. I had a Vanguard in 30 06 which I can reload. Gave it to my grandson(15 y o) who killed a large 8 point with it last year. Gave my Marlin 336 to the other hunting grandson(11 y o) in Charleston SC last year. I am currently out of a big rifle capable of taking deer.

Mostly just shoot paper now with grandsons, and was looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor. Don't know if I will ever hunt again(may-be), but feel a big want for a good rifle capable of taking mid size deer around 100/200 yards. The $1,000 mark is a celling, and would be served even better around $500.00. That is why I have considered the Ruger and Weatherby. Not many Mossberg rifles locally, and lost my FFL dealer that I could get guns shipped through. He retired. My local gun store has a Thanksgiving Day customer appreciation days starting next week. They always have good prices on all their guns. He had a big selection of scoped Rugers.

I like Lupehold(S?), Burros, and Vortec scopes on the lower end side in price. I am in the chase stages now and enjoying looking. Will take a bargain if I can find one, but plan to have one by spring. I have hunted with 243, 30 30, 270, 30 06 and 12 Ga, with rifled brl, slug gun. All were adequate. Told my 15 Y O grandson I was considering a 6.5 and he lit up like a bulb. Said he had been reading about them and all his buddies were also.

The 15 Y O grandson is the one who I posted about getting burned. His Dr told him he was recouping so well he could deer hunt if he didn't scratches himself. He is elated and been chomping at the bit to get in his blind or tree stand. His mom said if dad went with him, they could this next weekend. The rut is starting this week around here in mid TN. Our pet doe, with 2 last years fawns, has been chased, the last 2 days, by a young 6 pointer. She lives in the woods behind our home. He has been in our back yard the last 3 days, at daylight, and several times per day. This has flung a large craving upon me.

It is always fun to go on the search for a new gun, and I thought if I purchase one I just might try the Creedmoor. I know it has been out for a while and just became the new flavor of the day. I know it is supposed to be a paper target long range gun, but everyone is sure preaching that caliber. I will not walk away form a good rifle bargain though.

It is 7:30 and I just heard a big rifle shot close by. Guess someone got one, hopefully. Just heard a follow up shot from the same direction. Oh-Well, Thanks for the advice, and comments guys.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a bargain, the Savage 260 that Rob linked earlier will be hard to beat.  Exact same bullet as the 6.5 Creedmore, just a bit more case capacity so slightly better overall ballistics.  I would take it before the Ruger any day of the week.  Only downside is there is now probably more factory loads for the Creedmore but you can still find 260 as well.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I have considered the Ruger American along with the Weatherby Vanguard. I had a Vanguard in 30 06 which I can reload. Gave it to my grandson(15 y o) who killed a large 8 point with it last year. Gave my Marlin 336 to the other hunting grandson(11 y o) in Charleston SC last year. I am currently out of a big rifle capable of taking deer.

Mostly just shoot paper now with grandsons, and was looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor. Don't know if I will ever hunt again(may-be), but feel a big want for a good rifle capable of taking mid size deer around 100/200 yards. The $1,000 mark is a celling, and would be served even better around $500.00. That is why I have considered the Ruger and Weatherby. Not many Mossberg rifles locally, and lost my FFL dealer that I could get guns shipped through. He retired. My local gun store has a Thanksgiving Day customer appreciation days starting next week. They always have good prices on all their guns. He had a big selection of scoped Rugers.

I like Lupehold(S?), Burros, and Vortec scopes on the lower end side in price. I am in the chase stages now and enjoying looking. Will take a bargain if I can find one, but plan to have one by spring. I have hunted with 243, 30 30, 270, 30 06 and 12 Ga, with rifled brl, slug gun. All were adequate. Told my 15 Y O grandson I was considering a 6.5 and he lit up like a bulb. Said he had been reading about them and all his buddies were also.

The 15 Y O grandson is the one who I posted about getting burned. His Dr told him he was recouping so well he could deer hunt if he didn't scratches himself. He is elated and been chomping at the bit to get in his blind or tree stand. His mom said if dad went with him, they could this next weekend. The rut is starting this week around here in mid TN. Our pet doe, with 2 last years fawns, has been chased, the last 2 days, by a young 6 pointer. She lives in the woods behind our home. He has been in our back yard the last 3 days, at daylight, and several times per day. This has flung a large craving upon me.

It is always fun to go on the search for a new gun, and I thought if I purchase one I just might try the Creedmoor. I know it has been out for a while and just became the new flavor of the day. I know it is supposed to be a paper target long range gun, but everyone is sure preaching that caliber. I will not walk away form a good rifle bargain though.

It is 7:30 and I just heard a big rifle shot close by. Guess someone got one, hopefully. Just heard a follow up shot from the same direction. Oh-Well, Thanks for the advice, and comments guys.

From what I’m reading here, I have to say get the 6.5Cr. You won’t be happy with anything else. Get a Savage Axis II and replace the optic on it with a better quality one and you’ll be set. Don’t believe the hype that it’s just for punching holes in paper a long way about. I have a friend that uses his to take deer from near to far. One day he used his (suppressed) Bergara in 6.5 to take 4 does for the freezer. Two of them were in the same group at over 430 yards (landowner tags on private land in MO). It’s a more than capable round for any of the North American deer family. 

I just took a quick look at GOC and they are several there locally that would fit the bill. That $1000 budget should be pretty easy to do; even on new. That $500 can be done with some used quality stuff I saw, but you might have to stick with the proven performer rounds, instead of those designer rounds. ;)

I have a Remington 700 VLS in 308 with a VX-III LR 6.5-20x40mm and a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .243 with a Leupold VX-2, 3-9X4. The VLS is probably heavier than you would want. They are both more than your budget, but you are welcome to try them if you like. I don’t hunt, but a quality bolt action is a thing of beauty. If I did hunt my choice would be my AR 10.

2 hours ago, pop pop said:

Not many Mossberg rifles locally, and lost my FFL dealer that I could get guns shipped through. He retired. 

There are plenty of FFL’s to transfer to in Murfreesboro. I order a lot of guns online anymore. 

2 hours ago, pop pop said:

My local gun store has a Thanksgiving Day customer appreciation days starting next week. They always have good prices on all their guns. He had a big selection of scoped Rugers.

Who is that?

6 hours ago, pop pop said:

Hozzie, I do not know anything about the 260 Remington. At $350. that is a good deal. I am not against the Savage brand, but do know a little about the Mdl 110.  

Thanks for the heads up, but just not interested in that caliber. 

The 260 Remington is a 308 Winchester case necked down to hold a 6.5mm projectile. Hard to find fault with that combination.

With a bit of perseverance and your $1000 budget, you should be able to snag a decent pre 64 Model 70 Winchester (the pinnacle of the bolt action deer rifle).

Edited by gregintenn

Dave, Specialty Arms in Lavergne TN. The sale last all week. Haven't been down there lately but the guns will be marked down this Friday, but the cards say sale is 25-27. 

Researching the 260 Savage mentioned in this thread.  Appears it is almost the same as the 6.5 Creedmoor. 

Edited to add; Got my notice, for the sale, in the mail yesterday. Never seen a model 11 Savage  but have the mdl 110.

Edited by pop pop
16 hours ago, gregintenn said:

With a bit of perseverance and your $1000 budget, you should be able to snag a decent pre 64 Model 70 Winchester (the pinnacle of the bolt action deer rifle).

The new Model 70’s have the controlled Round feed of the Pre-64’s. But doing either with a quality scope for a grand would be a challenge. From 65 to present in used should be doable.

And I’ll say this… I haven’t put them head to head in a controlled test yet, and my Model 70 Super Grade is an absolute beauty, but I don’t think it can outshoot my Remington 700 VLS. A 700 is going to be his best bet in a high quality rifle and a high quality scope for a grand or under....IMO.

Edited by DaveTN
36 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Edited to add; Got my notice, for the sale, in the mail yesterday. Never seen a model 11 Savage  but have the mdl 110.

The rifle you are looking at is a Model 11 because it’s a short action. A Model 110 is a long action.

• Like 1

It ain't broke, don't fix it. What's wrong with .308? If you reload, 110 to 135gr for varmints. Sierra 150 gr pro hunter for deer, and 220gr just to knock down trees. If you don't reload, there is a shelf load of choices to choose from.

" What about those shots past 350 yards? " It's like EverReady, it just keep going, and going