New Deer Rifle

pop pop

11 hours ago, deerslayer said:

No kidding.  I would go broke or have to quit competitive shooting if I paid the prices quoted above for 9mm and .40.  

You wouldn't; the first line of my post addresses that. Those are the prices you would pay when you don't plan ahead. That has happened to me; that's why I was there buying ammo. 

11 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Are online prices much better?

Yes. As a matter of fact, awhile back I bought 50 round boxes of Federal HST for near the price of range ammo. Rare, but it can be done.

Not that I need another hobby, but I’ve looked at reloading every way from Sunday, and I just don’t think you can reload if your goal is to save money. Maybe someone that shoots massive amount, but not for most.

Now… I posted that a few years back when I was considering it and one guy that said he could reload for less than he could purchase said he was walking the highway picking up wheels weights to get the lead to cast bullets, and going to ranges to get his brass off the ground. That guy might come close. ;)

Evidently the doe that has lived in the woods, behind our home, is in season this morning. I have seen a small buck (tall spike) roaming the back yard for about a week now. This morning, we were sitting at the breakfast table and 2 young bucks (3 yr o), one a 7 point and the other a tall 8 pointer, was chasing the doe all around our yard. We have a 3 acre yard with woods behind the house. The doe still has last years fawns with her, but have not seen them this morning. I guess they have vacated the area for now. Guess we will have some little ones by spring.

Told sweetie I was going to get my new Savage 308 out, and get me a buck. She vetoed that operation, "instantly". Well, I haven't sighted it in yet. 

I have reloaded in the past and still have a Lee Turret combo reloaded with a lot of dies, that is not set up right now.  Yes one can save a little money if you just shoot a lot and reload a lot of practice ammo.  I don't know if it would pay to purchase all the equipment from scratch and the components. I know it would not be worthwhile for those who only shoot 3 or 4 times per year. 

We reloaded to build better, more accurate ammo for our guns. Now-a-days you can purchase excellent factory loaded ammo.  

Those who reload must be real careful because one can make a mistake very easily. If a person is not detail oriented, they should stay away from reloading, IMO.  

1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I have reloaded in the past and still have a Lee Turret combo reloaded with a lot of dies, that is not set up right now.  Yes one can save a little money if you just shoot a lot and reload a lot of practice ammo.  I don't know if it would pay to purchase all the equipment from scratch and the components. I know it would not be worthwhile for those who only shoot 3 or 4 times per year. 

We reloaded to build better, more accurate ammo for our guns. Now-a-days you can purchase excellent factory loaded ammo.  

Those who reload must be real careful because one can make a mistake very easily. If a person is not detail oriented, they should stay away from reloading, IMO.  

OH my lord, if saving 2/3 if the price isn't enough I'll give up.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Yes. As a matter of fact, awhile back I bought 50 round boxes of Federal HST for near the price of range ammo. Rare, but it can be done.

Not that I need another hobby, but I’ve looked at reloading every way from Sunday, and I just don’t think you can reload if your goal is to save money. Maybe someone that shoots massive amount, but not for most.

Now… I posted that a few years back when I was considering it and one guy that said he could reload for less than he could purchase said he was walking the highway picking up wheels weights to get the lead to cast bullets, and going to ranges to get his brass off the ground. That guy might come close. ;)

I don’t pick up wheel weights, but I do sometimes pick up brass and am loading .40 for about 14 cents a round.  Yes, there is the cost of my Dillon 550, but it’s loaded so many rounds that the cost per round is irrelevant.  Money is only one of several reasons I handload, but It would definitely cost me more to shoot non-combloc/milsurp steel case factory ammo. 

To the OP, sorry to hijack your thread, congrats on the new blasters. 

Edited by deerslayer

I went to Sportsman's Wearhouse and looked at Winchester Deer Season X P in 308 caliber, 150 Gr bullet. That is what I want to feed my new Savage.  It was priced 33.95 per box of 20. Traveled to Wal Mart and they had the same ammo 20.94. Looked and S G ammo, on line, and theirs was 18.95 per box with 12.00 shipping on 3 boxes of 20. 

Good ole Wally World! Hate to see it dry up. 

RZ, when I reloaded all the time, yes we saved a lot of money. We shot a lot of handguns and rifles during that time, and we did not count our time in the cost.  You probably have at least $1000.00 tied up in your reloading equipment and several more dollars in reloading components.

For someone who fires 200-500 rounds max per year , it ain't worth the effort and money spent to get into reloading, let alone the cost of  attaining the skill to be able to reload safely.  One of my local gun stores has classes to teach people to reload, but the y are pricy(25.00 per hr).

If I was shooting 2 or 3 thousand rounds per weekend I would reload for sure. No more than I shoot now, I just purchase factory ammo. I would not use reloaded ammo for self defense at all.  

I have a friend who purchased a rifle 9 years ago. He used 2 rounds, out of a box of 20, to sight his scope in. He told me that he just finished using that box of ammo 9 years later with 18 kills. He writes the dates, on the box, when and what he killed. That is pretty good use of a box of ammo. 

Edited by pop pop
Add Content
On 12/3/2019 at 6:03 PM, pop pop said:

RZ, when I reloaded all the time, yes we saved a lot of money. We shot a lot of handguns and rifles during that time, and we did not count our time in the cost.  You probably have at least $1000.00 tied up in your reloading equipment and several more dollars in reloading components.

For someone who fires 200-500 rounds max per year , it ain't worth the effort and money spent to get into reloading, let alone the cost of  attaining the skill to be able to reload safely.  One of my local gun stores has classes to teach people to reload, but the y are pricy(25.00 per hr).

If I was shooting 2 or 3 thousand rounds per weekend I would reload for sure. No more than I shoot now, I just purchase factory ammo. I would not use reloaded ammo for self defense at all.  

I have a friend who purchased a rifle 9 years ago. He used 2 rounds, out of a box of 20, to sight his scope in. He told me that he just finished using that box of ammo 9 years later with 18 kills. He writes the dates, on the box, when and what he killed. That is pretty good use of a box of ammo. 

Pop Pop I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed the shooting sports over the years. I don't hunt. Can't seem to be able to draw a bead on natures beauty. Now at  72 I can't get out as much as I used to but I've still got some self resetting steel That I've killed many times over. We play a game called [fill the hole] shooting at the lake. One person shoots and the next tries to hit the same place that my bullet hit. I live in a valley so my rounds don't get out.