Anyone here sell on Gunbroker?

DaveTN

I haven't sold on GunBroker specifically, but have sold a lot of guns via other websites and shipped them.  I never use an FFL to ship them.  Just adds to the cost for the buyer which most don't want to pay for.  Since you have to ship to an FFL anyway (assuming out of state), I have shipped with UPS numerous times without issue for long guns.  Always go to the UPS Service Center and not a UPS Store.  The "Store" won't take anything gun related including scopes.  It's stupid.

I have shipped a handgun with Fedex without issue as well.  Just take a copy of the FFL with you when you go to ship and you won't have any issues.  Always take a picture of the condition and how you packed it for reference should you need it.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I haven't sold on GunBroker specifically, but have sold a lot of guns via other websites and shipped them.  I never use an FFL to ship them.  Just adds to the cost for the buyer which most don't want to pay for.  Since you have to ship to an FFL anyway (assuming out of state), I have shipped with UPS numerous times without issue for long guns.  Always go to the UPS Service Center and not a UPS Store.  The "Store" won't take anything gun related including scopes.  It's stupid.

I have shipped a handgun with Fedex without issue as well.  Just take a copy of the FFL with you when you go to ship and you won't have any issues.  Always take a picture of the condition and how you packed it for reference should you need it.  

Thanks, Hozzie, shipping has been what’s held me back from using the National sites. (That and in the past I thought if stuff didn’t sell; my price was too high. That’s just not true now. Not much moving.) Its been a long time ago, but I got into it with the azzhat “Security Officer” at the UPS HUB in Murfreesboro when I was trying to do what’s right and declare a firearm. They absolutely don’t want our business; so I’d just as soon not give it to them.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

How was your experience?

Do you use an FFL for shipping or FedEx?

If you take a gun to an FFL that will ship it for you, do they have to do paperwork, or do they just ship it?

I have a great relationship with my ffl and just use them for pistol transfers. I factor any additional cost into the selling price and/or shipping cost if using GB.

For long guns I just handle it all myself. 

Either way it can be done cheaply and all while covering your own arse.

• Like 1

I have sold quite a few guns on Gunbroker.  I have used both a FFL and FedEx for shipping.  The FFL has been cheaper for me.  FedEx requires overnight or 2nd day shipping which is not cheap.  My local FFL usually tries to just charge me their shipping cost.  It is usually about 1/3 of the cost of FedEx.  I always add on the cost of a transfer to the shipping cost to be fair to my FFL and it is still cheaper than FedEx.  

Kahrman makes a good point.  If you FFL is willing to ship and it can save you money, absolutely do it.  It is annoying how they can get better rates for shipping the same thing.   Worth at least asking if you have a good relationship with your FFL.

9 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I have sold quite a few guns on Gunbroker.  I have used both a FFL and FedEx for shipping.  The FFL has been cheaper for me.  FedEx requires overnight or 2nd day shipping which is not cheap.  My local FFL usually tries to just charge me their shipping cost.  It is usually about 1/3 of the cost of FedEx.  I always add on the cost of a transfer to the shipping cost to be fair to my FFL and it is still cheaper than FedEx.  

Who do you use? I'm thinking about listing a couple of Kimbers on there.

14 hours ago, alingo2001 said:

Don’t you live Shelbyville? I’d go see what SLC will do. I used them for my transfers when I was working down there. If I decide to go that route I’m going to check with Mid Tenn's Pawn & Loan in Murfreesboro. I just used them for my last transfer. They are expanding and might be interested in helping. They also have their FFL available on their web site for downloading so you don’t have to mess with trying to get them to send it to someone.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:42 PM, alingo2001 said:

Its not that they use anyone cheaper per se. Hozzie is referring to commercial rates vs retail, which can be significant, buy not all use commercial. The reason FFLs can ship so much more cheaply is they are not held to Fedex / UPS only for handguns, nor are they required to ship overnight / 2nd day Express or air,  FFLs can they can use ground, which is where the big savings come in, or USPS for handguns for closer destinations where they beat the other carrier ground rates.  

• Like 1

It seems buying is as slow as selling.

I put up an ad yesterday on several sites that I wanted to see if anyone was trying to sell a used S&W Model 41 or, Ruger Mark IV Competition before I ordered new.

I’ve only had one response and that was from someone that started by telling me if I was shopping “Price Only”;) his gun was not for me, as he wanted more than new price.

I’ve been through this before, when I have gun money burning a hole in my pocket, and even have stuff for the “will you trade” folks, and still can’t get anyone to take my money. So, I guess just like before; its going to go to new from an online vendor.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, alingo2001 said:

Took the gun to I believe Steve at Royal Range. He took care of everything and is holding it for me till I receive funds so I don't have to make the trip again. 

The Royal Range that's about a 2 hour round trip?

• Administrator
On 11/19/2019 at 9:05 AM, DaveTN said:

Thanks, Hozzie, shipping has been what’s held me back from using the National sites. (That and in the past I thought if stuff didn’t sell; my price was too high. That’s just not true now. Not much moving.) Its been a long time ago, but I got into it with the azzhat “Security Officer” at the UPS HUB in Murfreesboro when I was trying to do what’s right and declare a firearm. They absolutely don’t want our business; so I’d just as soon not give it to them.

I'm just not having problems selling guns on TGO but I am also pricing in line with what the current market will sustain and not selling anything that would only appeal to a very specific niche buyer.

From what I've heard from friends in other states, this is the same where they are also.  Used isn't selling quickly unless you've got a compelling item or price.

• Like 1

Unless you're dealing in highly collectible firearms, it's strictly a buyers market now.  Price your gun accordingly, and it will sell. If you're a buyer, this is a really good time to pick up what you want, as long as you don't put artificial restrictions on yourself. like limiting your market to local sellers and non-internet purchases ...