Ruger SR9 (black)

DWARREN123

Just picked up one.

Nice pistol.

Comes with regular 3-dot sights (rear is height adjustable), two 17 round magazines. Mags are made in Italy and look like Mec-Gar with anti friction coating.

Pistol has a external safety (ambi) and magazine disconnect.

The loaded chamber indicator is on top of the slide and sticks up quite a bit with a round chambered.

None of this really bothers me and the mag disconnect is easy to remove if so desired.

Pistol has good accuracy and is easy to shoot well.

Grip is thinner than a lot of similar pistols.

Full take down requires punches/hammer so not as easy as some others.

Field strip does not require a trigger pull but you must push the ejector down to remove the slide, and either pull it up or insert a mag to raise the ejector back into operational position when reassembled.

Overall a decent pistol and after 600 rounds there has been no pistol related problems

This pistol is as accurate or a little more so than my Glock 48, which I like a lot and carry.

May put the Ruger SR9 into carry rotation. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I really think Ruger erred when they discontinued the SR series. They are really good pistols. 

Ruger makes some puzzling product decisions. 🤔

I now own 3 Rugers. All have been good values. Pretty much carry one of them everyday.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Just picked up one.

Nice pistol.

Comes with regular 3-dot sights (rear is height adjustable), two 17 round magazines. Mags are made in Italy and look like Mec-Gar with anti friction coating.

Pistol has a external safety (ambi) and magazine disconnect.

The loaded chamber indicator is on top of the slide and sticks up quite a bit with a round chambered.

None of this really bothers me and the mag disconnect is easy to remove if so desired.

Pistol has good accuracy and is easy to shoot well.

Grip is thinner than a lot of similar pistols.

Full take down requires punches/hammer so not as easy as some others.

Field strip does not require a trigger pull but you must push the ejector down to remove the slide, and either pull it up or insert a mag to raise the ejector back into operational position when reassembled.

Overall a decent pistol and after 600 rounds there has been no pistol related problems

This pistol is as accurate or a little more so than my Glock 48, which I like a lot and carry.

May put the Ruger SR9 into carry rotation. 

Can you offer a comparison between the SR9 and G48?

The Glock 48 is thinner and not as tall/long.

I have Concealment Express IWB Kydex holsters for both and the Glock 48 carries so much easier and comfortably.

I carry a extra mag for the EDC I have on. So that is 21 rounds for the Glock 48 and 35 rounds for the Ruger SR9. 

Depends on what you want, less rounds but thinner/lighter or more rounds thicker/heavier.

Still the Ruger SR9 is thinner than a regular Glock pistol.

Both seem accurate to me but that is subjective.

Both also seem to be well made.

I get the Glocks for $380 before taxes/TICS (military program) so pricing is not that far off between them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Late to the party here but my SR9 has been my EDC for over 3 years. I didn't realize Ruger discontinued it. Boo to Ruger.

Are you carrying yours and still liking it, @DWARREN123?

On 11/22/2019 at 2:27 PM, DWARREN123 said:

I have Concealment Express IWB Kydex holsters for both and the Glock 48 carries so much easier and comfortably.

I use a hybrid IWB crossbreed holster and carrying the SR9 is super comfortable to me pretty much regardless of circumstances.

The safety is the only thing I dislike since I don't want one and don't use it. I could do without the loaded chamber indicator but it doesn't bother me. To me, a "pro" model would be nice, like the LC9s pro which I also own. I think they could've done a number of things to reduce the manufacturing cost if that was a factor in their decision but who am I to say what they should've done. Haha!

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, j2a said:

Late to the party here but my SR9 has been my EDC for over 3 years. I didn't realize Ruger discontinued it. Boo to Ruger.

Are you carrying yours and still liking it, @DWARREN123?

I use a hybrid IWB crossbreed holster and carrying the SR9 is super comfortable to me pretty much regardless of circumstances.

The safety is the only thing I dislike since I don't want one and don't use it. I could do without the loaded chamber indicator but it doesn't bother me. To me, a "pro" model would be nice, like the LC9s pro which I also own. I think they could've done a number of things to reduce the manufacturing cost if that was a factor in their decision but who am I to say what they should've done. Haha!

You hit the nail on the head regarding a Pro model of the SR9. Everyone I talk to who owned or carried the SR9 things that would have been a significant upgrade and good seller. The SR series were better guns than both of the following offerings from Ruger. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

You hit the nail on the head regarding a Pro model of the SR9. Everyone I talk to who owned or carried the SR9 things that would have been a significant upgrade and good seller. The SR series were better guns than both of the following offerings from Ruger. 

I liked mine well enough that I still have it.  It;s the only plastic pistol I own, or am ever likely to ...

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Still carrying a SR9 and also have the SR-45.

The SR9c and the SR45 were in my stable for quite a while. I sold the SR9c, as it really just didn't feel right to me. Dunno why, it just didn't.

The SR45 was another matter. IMO, one of the best shooting 45s made outside of the 1911. In a fit of major stupidity, I sold it as well. Putz am I.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kano said:

My Wife carries one.

This guy uses to put out some good videos on Accuracy. 

Now his views on what condition to carry a pistol are not the smartest, JMO.

Put that aside and just look how accurate the SR9c is.

https://youtu.be/u8tDakImqbs 

Personally, I have some questions here. A 6 o'clock hold on the bull at 7 yards and it's shooting 2 inches low? Now what I'd want. I grant you that the grouping is great though. Is he using a benchrest or shooting freehand? He makes a comment later in the video while shooting at 25 yards about freehand.

All in all, I wasn't impressed with his style of reviewing. JMO.

He was bench resting the 25-yard groups and shooting free hand the other groups.

His style of reviewing is not the point, just posted it to show how accurate the pistol is,

The SR9c was getting 1 1/2" 25-yard groups. that is crazy for a $400.00 pistol.

His style of reviewing is not the best I agree, but his shooting skills are very good.

Edited by Kano

If push came to shove, the last pistols I would let go would be the SR9 and SR45...... the SR series is certainly not for everyone, but they fit me perfectly.   And with that many rounds, i figure I could kinda/sorta hit whatever needed to be hit.

As a side note, when Ruger discontinued the SRs, I bought a few more rather cheaply on the used market.  My wife, God rest her soul, would ask ... “How many of those things do you need”?  Guess y’all know what my answer was!  😃