Several “Firsts” for me

DaveTN

I got a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .44Mag in a trade tonight. A few “Firsts” for me. First Ruger Revolver, First Single action, First .44Mag.

I’m pretty much a Smith & Wesson guy and I don’t know if I’ll be able to get onboard with this single action business, or if I’ll even keep this. But this thing is a monster. If I ran out of ammo; I could use it as a club. :)

jota1co.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Super Blackhawk is an outstanding revolver. Many folks just love it. 

Unfortunately Colt style single actions just don't work with my arthritic hands and I've ended up selling every one I ever had.  :( All I can say is try it and see what happens. :rolleyes: BTW: you might want to start out some .44 Specials. :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, joe4vol said:

Load some Ruger-only loads 

Congrts on the "1st". Joe is correct, hot rod a few 44 mags, let ya know "YOU ARE ALIVE!!!" and load some lite my young teen nephews can have a blast.

I gave my bedside 357 mag to my grandson last year. I got my SW 629 out and ordered some 44 spl ammo for it (200 gr hp in several flavors. Settled on Speer G D HP). So after some practice with the 44 spl ammo it is now my new bedside gun. Lots of difference from the magnum ammo. A lot more manageable for an old Gezer. Now the 44 is not a safe queen any longer. 

Enjoy yours.

1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I gave my bedside 357 mag to my grandson last year. I got my SW 629 out and ordered some 44 spl ammo for it (200 gr hp in several flavors. Settled on Speer G D HP). So after some practice with the 44 spl ammo it is now my new bedside gun. Lots of difference from the magnum ammo. A lot more manageable for an old Gezer. Now the 44 is not a safe queen any longer. 

Enjoy yours.

Yeah, my bedside gun is a 4” 686 loaded with 158 grain Federal Hydra shoks. I wouldn’t want this single action for a home defense gun. 

On 11/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, DaveTN said:

I’m pretty much a Smith & Wesson guy and I don’t know if I’ll be able to get onboard with this single action business, or if I’ll even keep this

Well, if you don't want to keep it then it is almost Christmas and I live fairly close to you. Just saying....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Well, if you don't want to keep it then it is almost Christmas and I live fairly close to you. Just saying....

I just added a couple more guns to the classifieds. I’m trying to sell or trade to get what I want while everyone is saving for Black Friday and Christmas; how silly is that. :)

• Haha 1

I just ventured into the 44 magnum this past week.  Taurus M44SS 4inch.  (I'll have to post a picture later) First Taurus revolver to go along with my Smiths and Rugers.  I am really surprised with the trigger, pretty smooth right out of the box.

I went for the 4 inch strictly for the weight, since my daughter would want to shoot it.

First I bought components before the gun.  Put together some light loads for my daughter to shoot, 5gr Tite Group over 240 jsp.  powder puff round but accurate at 10 yards.  Loaded some magnum rounds with 18.7 gr of 2400.

Ordered 1000 coated SWC last night from Summers Enterprises out of Arkansas. 

Found 1 box of 44 special for $48, passed on that.