Vet in NY Red Flag standoff

• Moderators

Apparently police in NY state were involved in a standoff with a combat vet over a Red Flag matter. Reports are LE responded to a RF report and info that he had standard capacity mags. It was alleged that LE threatened his wife with involving CPS to gain access to the home. He used Instagram to send updates out and word is that folks mobilized and showed up to support him and observe police. It may be over now, not sure. 

I am thin on verified details right now, but will update as I get them. Any and all info in the first paragraph may be corrected later as verified information rolls in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators

http://westchester.news12.com/story/41364321/police-putnam-county-standoff-ends-peacefully-after-7-hour-standoff

Thankfully it seems to have come to a peaceful ending. I’m hoping some of the stuff I’ve seen regarding why went down is incorrect. I will be updating as the facts shake out and a clearer picture of what went down comes out. 

• Like 3

Regardless...they have already murdered an old man for having his hand on one of his guns when they created the situation by coming there on a "tip"...if you're unfamiliar I can perhaps look that story back up it's been months now. Another fellow in Florida was put on the "Red Flag" list even though it wasn't even his name...nor was he the person the "red flag" informer was even talking about, yet when he pointed it out they didn't drop it. No doubt due to the Fact he had a lot of guns...even though no one reported him and he proved it to them.

This story has been incredibly difficult to follow due to lots of conflicting info.  From what I've pieced together he had another unrelated warrant involving a domestic dispute.  Officer who was serving that warrant reported that there was a gunshot and called in the troops.  Suspect barricaded himself into the garage.  There were no firearms, or "illegal" magazines present.  Suspect was eventually arrested and charged with several charges, none of them firearm related.  Mass confusion, and in not really sure why this is being called a red flag matter.  I watched some of this as it was going down on the suspect's Instagram, and honestly he came across as a bit unstable. 

I’m also confused as to why this is being called a “RED FLAG” matter. There are several different stories, but it appears his wife/girl friend accused him of domestic violence and he flipped out when the cops arrived. Are those pictures of him dressed as tactical tommy and saying if he doesn’t get a promise he won’t do jail time, there will be blood, from this standoff?

It sounds like it ended peacefully. Some sources say he was arrested, some say he wasn’t.

We can no longer even get a story with a reporter on the scene reporting the facts. This is crazy. They all want to get both sides wound up.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I’m also confused as to why this is being called a “RED FLAG” matter. There are several different stories, but it appears his wife/girl friend accused him of domestic violence and he flipped out when the cops arrived. Are those pictures of him dressed as tactical tommy and saying if he doesn’t get a promise he won’t do jail time, there will be blood, from this standoff?

It sounds like it ended peacefully. Some sources say he was arrested, some say he wasn’t.

We can no longer even get a story with a reporter on the scene reporting the facts. This is crazy. They all want to get both sides wound up.

The reason it was called a red flag matter is that the initial reports I saw, including screen caps of some of his texts was that the matter was initiated after a report from a third party. The DV angle didn’t show up until after everything was wrapped up. 

I will be honest, I have doubts about the DV story simply because where in this country does a DV report NOT end up with someone having to be arrested? 

1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

I will be honest, I have doubts about the DV story simply because where in this country does a DV report NOT end up with someone having to be arrested? 

It doesn’t. And neither does threatening bloodshed. As I said, I looked at several variations of this story and folks are putting their own spin on it. From armed citizens showing up to engage the Police to “Nothing Happened”. :)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

It doesn’t. And neither does threatening bloodshed. As I said, I looked at several variations of this story and folks are putting their own spin on it. From armed citizens showing up to engage the Police to “Nothing Happened”. :)

There’s a lot about this whole thing that doesn’t make sense.