Rethinking My Gun Ownership Strategy

Defender

Ive been buying, trading and collecting guns for a number of years now.  As I age and have become afflicted with a few health issues requiring daily meds, I realize that one aspect of my desire to own guns/ammo was for survival in a STHF type scenario.  I realize now that with these health issues, I wont survive very long without my meds, regardless of how many guns/how much ammo I have, lol. I dont hunt now, but thought I would if i had to in the above situation.    In the back of my mind also, I thought that being in a position to trade guns and or ammo would also be a good tool for survival. Rethinking that too.  I dont get to shoot as much as Id like, and may actually shoot less when i retire due to reduced income.  Anyway, all that to say that I am probably going to thin the herd quite a bit.  I cam to this decision some time ago, but the current market is not good for me to sell the guns I want to.  Im going to get rid of quite a few i think.  Ill be carrying for self defense though, and want to be able to defend my home as well, but i dont need what I currently have to do that.  Plus side is this will free up some cash for other things like debt reduction, or other health needs.  I just need to figure out exactly what I want to keep and what i want to sell, and start on it.   Im a little embarrassed to say exactly how many guns i'll be selling but it will include a nice selection of long guns and pistols.  I'll post them on here first.  Ill also be eliminating some calibers entirely from my ammo stocks as well.

Edited by Defender
  • Like 4
  • Authorized Vendor

I can relate since I'm no spring chicken either. I'm fortunate that I'm still fairly active although not as much as I'd like. As far as meds...I'm required to take a few but I'm not sure I'd die tomorrow if I didn't. It is what is so I'll just have to be good with that.

Sorry you feel the need to reduce inventory. At 65 although I can still shoot anything fine, I’m facing having to sell my Harley. I can still ride, but I’m tired of listening to friends and family run their mouth about how I don’t ride it much anymore.

Brother, not much is selling right now. Tupperware guns if the price is low enough is moving a little. If you can wait until the election next year, they will probably go up substantially. If a Democrat is elected, they will go up a bunch. Also, I think the feds are going to stop private sales. If that happens with warning; sales will skyrocket from the time it passes to when it goes into effect.

• Like 5

I'm sure it's a hard thing to come to this conclusion. I'm not there yet, but have seen a lot of the folks I look up to get there. (I'm thankful that so far my reassessment of my collection is mostly to do with focusing more on things I'll want my boys to able to appreciate.)

To echo what @DaveTN said, if you can hold them for a year or a bit less you'll probably do much better in terms of how much debt you'll be able to take care of.

Feel free to pick our brains if necessary when you're listing things, and thank you for thinking of us first!

• Like 2

I was at the range last week and ran into an old range friend that I haven't seen in quite some time. He's getting into his late 70s and has had some health issues. He told me that he's sold almost all his guns. He can't shoot as well or as often as he used to and his kids don't have any interest in them. 

This guy used to have quite a large collection. Now he's down to a couple of .22 target rifles, one .22 handgun and one defensive handgun. Frankly I was shocked. He always was a very active shooter and collector.

But it did make me stop and think. I'm getting on up there in years and my health is questionable. I'm thinking that not too far down the road, I'll probably be looking at selling too. 

• Like 2

Sadly, I too am beginning to think like this. I would like to sell off a few, but not wanting to take the kind of hit that seems to be the norm right now.

Foolishly, I've actually bought a few more this year, and now feeling some pangs of regret.

Heck, I still have things I haven't fired yet. Some of those are NIB, some are used and just added to the pile.

I guess my hopes for a quick sale are pretty slim at the moment.

I find myself also considering selling the TGO knives I bought. I think I have 6 or 7 of them now. That was a bigger bad move than all the guns. lol

But...I hope to go to G&L in H'ville in the morning for a little session. Just to relax.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Sorry you feel the need to reduce inventory. At 65 although I can still shoot anything fine, I’m facing having to sell my Harley. I can still ride, but I’m tired of listening to friends and family run their mouth about how I don’t ride it much anymore.

Brother, not much is selling right now. Tupperware guns if the price is low enough is moving a little. If you can wait until the election next year, they will probably go up substantially. If a Democrat is elected, they will go up a bunch. Also, I think the feds are going to stop private sales. If that happens with warning; sales will skyrocket from the time it passes to when it goes into effect.

What kind of Harley Dave?

I went on a bit of a spree a while back...surely no coincidence it's about when I found TGO.  😁

For the vast majority of the time, my guns that sit locked up with a light coat of oil on the action.  I don't regret what I have, but I surely don't have a need for more unless I get into shooting as a primary source of recreation, and that's not likely.  I have enough weapons and ammo for home defense, daily carry, civil breakdown, and more importantly, can be mobile with it all if needs be.  Maybe one day if I get a new vehicle that can secure one, I'll get a good truck gun, or a .22LR pistol (the S&W one right now looks best) for fun and to let any kids I'm around get into shooting.  But as I get close to my 40s, I think the capital otherwise spent on guns and every attachment you can throw on them is better deployed to investments for my old age or misfortune.

• Like 3

This thread is a little depressing. Getting on in age is depressing enough without having to think about downsizing our toy collection. Down market right now, may pick up some when the real campaigning begins. Tupperware guns have flooded the market, reminds me of the old "Saturday Night Special" phase in the gun market. Cheap and everywhere!!!

• Like 2

I'm about to turn 69. I sold most of my guns 4 years ago and used the money to help me upgrade my old house to a new one on the lake. I don't get around as well anymore and figured I should spend the rest of my days sitting on a boat dock. So far, I have not regretted my decision. I don't have a son or grand kids to leave any guns to and my daughter would rather have the house on the lake.  I'm just glad that I sold them before the gun market bottomed out.

• Like 2

Looks like a bunch of us are in the same situation. I've already started downsizing to just what I actually use or need. I sold my deer rifle, AR, crossbow, and one pistol. Have one more to sell, then I'm done. Gonna keep the PPS 9mm that I carry every day, plus a couple of heirlooms that I won't sell.

I'll admit it bothers me quite a bit to have to do that, but, it is what it is, as they say.

• Like 1

My Dad is 73 and we had the will discussion last week. He's got a modest collection. There's a few I have little interest in, but most have high intrinsic value to me and I look forward to enjoying them with my boys.  

He's also considering selling his motorcycle due to his knees. Not riding it has ruined the fuel system so it's languishing in his garage at the moment.  

• Like 1

I've liquidated most of my collection over the last 10 years. I still have way more firearms & ammo than I'll ever shoot.

All I can say is how thankful & blessed I've been to have the fine firearms I've owned, some for a short time others long term.

Getting older & its challenges can grate on some, it grates on me but again I'm blessed to have hunted, fished, & shot more than most, didn't miss much.

Sad thing is how many collections I've bought & brokered from guys whose family wanted nothing to do with them, all they care about is $$.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 3

At 59 my interest in shooting hasn't declined but my tolerance for doing so in the heat or cold most certainly has. I'm blessed that I have property large enough for me to shoot a rifle out to 300 yards but I'm not going to do it in significant heat or cold. I haven't tolerated heat since I got heat exhaustion in the Marine Corps. The cold just plain sucks anymore! I'm not into acquiring guns like many folks on here. I have a few for specific purposes mostly surrounding self-defense, or hunting if I have to resort to eating deer. There's turkey all around me but they rarely come onto my land so it makes me wishy-washy about adding a shotgun. I shoot enough to be reasonably sure that I can protect me and mine in most circumstances, but in no way think I'm going to get into a running gun battle with a terrorist organization. 

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

... I shoot enough to be reasonably sure that I can protect me and mine in most circumstances, but in no way think I'm going to get into a running gun battle with a terrorist organization. 

You know, I think if I'm honest, and I believe others might have these thoughts; in the dark recesses of our collective minds, I think many of us have had that thought/delusion.

In my younger days, I envisioned myself as the one others looked to for help and maybe protection. That comes from reading to many TEOTWAWKI books.

Nowadays, in my fairy tale life, I've come to see myself as the old fart who has a stash that others find and use to save themselves. I see no way of surviving past the initial wave and exchange of fire. Too old in body, never was in good physical condition like the young warriors of today, and the legs and back are shot.

Maybe the next year will offer better selling possibilities, and fewer pains. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, owejia said:

This thread is a little depressing.

That is an understatement. I like most are over the hill, but I can still see some of the top!! I have 2 children and 3 grandchildren, but they all have guns of their own. But I think I will at least leave 1 to each of them. I know a fellow who had all the clan come for some occasion and he took all of his guns that he was going to give them and put a number on each 1 and had a corresponding number in a hat, you pick a number and bingo that is your gun, no fighting that Bob got a nicer gun than me. I thought that a very democratic way to handle things. Now on a lighter note. Happy Thanksgiving to all, we have been blessed beyond measure!!

• Like 3

I too have started downsizing. I am 71 and my health is getting worse. I want to give my guns to my grandchildren. I want to do it before I will need to run them through a nix system. Have already given away several and have several more to give. 

I sure have enjoyed collecting them over the last 50 years. Hard to see my babies leave, but the passage of time is saying let them go. Will keep enough to protect my sweetie and me. Kinda sad in a way. 

• Like 2

Yes pop pop it is. At least you have the kids and grandkids to leave an heirloom and some wonderful memories to. We have no children. I have no siblings, and my wife has one brother.

Gifting is a slender option for me. The contemporaries in my family are either not interest in firearms, or not someone I would give my collection to. I guess I'll hope for better situation next year for sales. Or maybe a raffle?

I have more thinking and planning to do. 

This is a sobering topic but one we all need to face and consider at some point.

I reached this conclusion a couple of years ago. While I didn't have a large "collection" as my guns were/are primarily for the defensive use category, I've begun thinning them out, along with accouterments like ammo and magazines.

At 65, soon to be 66, my abilities, capabilities and priorities have changed. I simply can't do what once I was able LOL.

I too have no family with an interest in what I have accumulated and I don't want to leave my wife with a pile of "stuff" that she has no idea what the heck it is, much less what it's value is.

We, in this age range, have been blessed with some incredible experiences and exposure over the years. I am thankful for that.

As Col.Cooper's book sates, "The past was another country, we did things different there". It was a great place to pass through. :) 

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 2