MY Violation of Rule 1(Treat All Guns as Loaded) & Result

PAULSHOOT

Just checking.

I fired a blank out of my AR in the living room and was acting like I was looking for where the round went. I thought it was funny. My Ex-wife did not. Ex being the key there.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Haha 2

My personal rules are pretty failsafe, but I don’t carry daily - only for sketchy craigslist deals. When I’m home i keep an unloaded mag in the gun and a loaded mag beside it. If i need it, it’s there. These things don’t run on hopes and dreams, they run on ammo. If there isn’t any ammo it’s just plastic and steel. Might as well be a remote control or a coffee cup. It’s just something i do to always know the gun is never loaded. I have the luxury of that because there are no kids around and the old lady doesn’t touch it. I can be loaded in 3 seconds if the alarm goes off. It’s still much faster than running across the room for the long gun. There are no exceptions and I’m never too busy to drop the mag and clear it when i open the door and walk inside. 

For carry, I chose to have a manual safety model and it’s a 1 motion event when I grab the handle my thumb hits the safety if i choose so it’s not slower in any way. That’s thanks to the excellent design of the S&W M&P Shield 2.0 so I have that option.  That, added to the hinged safety trigger, I’m pretty confident. 

Accidents can happen, should i fail to do my routine and checks that are in place. That’s why I simply eliminate the possibility by keeping the hot mag out when I’m home - zero exceptions. 

Responsibility over false reality. Do people need protection from themselves? Yes. There’s a reason for every safety warning label - someone caused it to be there. I support these checks and balances because I’ve seen people slip. I think it’s needed for a large majority of people. Do what you’re supposed to do as you are supposed to do and you eliminate the uncertainty and need to lie to yourself to keep from blowing your toe off. Responsibility. 

I support the message and due to any unforeseen and uncertain factors (people touching your stuff, lapse of judgement, not having a system in place) i think it’s a great safety message. I don’t like lying to myself, i prefer accountability. I’m not proposing people go about unsafely, more so the message is very similar actually. Do your checks and balances before it can become an issue. Have a system. 

I work with oxygen acetylene Torches (welding and fabrication). Together they are more violent than gunpowder via molecular reaction. 6400 degrees vs a couple hundred degrees from a gunpowder reaction. You can die quickly if you screw up. 24 hours a day they sit side by side safely until you bring them together. A system is in place to keep them apart until it’s time to use them. The same system I use to keep ammo away from my gun until needed. This works for ME. Your circumstances may differ. People who work with deadly materials all day (not just having a gun) have a different approach to things. 

Most people don’t have a system. You need a system, and you need to be serious about it. 

• Like 2

I found out Stuff Happens no matter how safe you think you are -- ain't no one perfect. As far as guns, maybe keep in safe and never touch - you will never have NEGLIGENT or ACCIDENTAL discharge.

Mine was NEGLIGENT and I KNOW IT.  

I ride MCs, been averaging about 20,000 miles a year since 2001 when I started riding again (total be very near 400,000 miles by end of DEC this year).

NO MISHAPS, except three drop it at stop, near stop, or when I tried to go thru a muddy water hole that my friend made it thru and I did not. Ended up on my side in a bout afoot of muddy water.

Been lucky for sure, had a few close calls (My Fault), a few close calls (Others Fault), and three near Deer Hits.   Just saying - my perfect riding habits can be negligent also. 

I took my gun off my hip while driving and attempted to put it in the door pocket, hit something, rolled forward and shot a hole through the door plastic, drivers side kick panel, and into the body down by the brake release. Funny thing is I never heard the shot, just felt the gun jerk and kick out of my hand. The only reason I was messing with it was I was headed to a school. Pulled into a parking lot to inspect the damage and to recover my gun and it turned out to be a church school parking lot. So there I was handling my gun in a school parking lot anyway. 

On 11/27/2019 at 12:29 PM, Grayfox54 said:

They say there are two kinds of gun owners.

Those who have had a ND and those who will. 

I don't think I believe the logic of that, because I'm guessing 95% of us will never have a ND.  BUT, we all need to PRESUME that we could, and act accordingly.  We can all make mistakes.  Treating all guns as loaded, all the time, is a good start.  If you pay close attention to TV shows and movies, you'll see a lot of cases where some bonzo racks the slide, and then pops the magazine, to unload the gun.  Yeah, right!

Glock Spock said:

Generally speaking, it's the "seasoned" gun owners that I am more afraid of being around when they are handling firearms.

Several years ago I was at the range. The way our range is set up is there's a shelf built along the back of the roofing posts about 10 ft or so behind the firing line. Its a good place to put things like gun cases, range bags, drinks or whatever you don't actually need on the firing line.  One day I was there and there was this middle aged guy shooting. He had all his ammo on that rear shelf. He'd shoot, turn around and walk back, reload and turn around with the loaded gun and walk back to the firing line. No muzzle discipline at all. He was sweeping everybody. :eek:

I very politely pointed this out to him. He responded by yelling very angrily "I know what I'm doing!" 

I just packed up and left. No point in trying to talk sense to an idiot. :shrug:

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Wow 1