Virginia Senate Bill 64

I pulled this from the Foxnews web site, I feel it says a LOT!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/walter-williams-the-second-amendment-is-under-attack-in-virginia

Virginians must heed the words and capture the spirit of their two most distinguished citizens, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, who wrote the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions. These resolutions referred to the federal government but are just as applicable to state governments in principle.

They said: "Resolved, That the several States composing the United States of America, are not united on the principle of unlimited submission to their General Government ... and whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force."

James Madison, in Federalist Paper No. 46 wrote that the Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

Thomas Jefferson wrote: "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Too many Americans believe the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to own firearms only to go hunting and for self-protection. The framers of our Constitution had no such intent in mind.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

We're also one of the worst states in the nation for voter turnout(43rd). That's not helping anyone. 

This thing in VA may have a nationwide impact. It's a good example of how bad it can get. It is also a good example of the greater of two evils.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

Ok. I wasn't disagreeing.

I know you weren't. Just adding to it. A post today from the Virginia Gun Owner's Forum. It's getting serious...

As a female I’m worried for our men who will have to take up their arms and fight against this tyranny. I’m worried for our childrens’ futures. I’m mad as hell that we have to face this gun grab but glad that it’s our generation and not our children’s. America was birthed in Virginia and its always been the heartland. I fear if Virginia fails and falls the rest of nation isn’t far behind. We have to come at this mountain with everything we have in us. We can’t fail at this or we’ll be living like Venezuela brothers.

I have thought for a few years that every county and or parish should get 1 vote. That vote comes from the most votes for the person running for the office on the ballot. This would stop the areas that are thick with voters over ruling the areas that have less voters. Will this happen, not as long as the left has control of the votes in the big city's.

• Like 1
On 12/27/2019 at 9:15 AM, Raoul said:

Problem is the majority of voters are located in the non green area. The metro areas of VA has them screwed.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, Moped said:

That will probably happen to us one of these days, with Metro Nashville growing like it.

This is why we have the electoral college -- otherwise NYC, LA, and Chicago would decide every presidential election. Founding fathers called it "tyranny of the majority". If only we could implement a similar electoral college on the state level.

14 hours ago, RED333 said:

I have thought for a few years that every county and or parish should get 1 vote. That vote comes from the most votes for the person running for the office on the ballot. This would stop the areas that are thick with voters over ruling the areas that have less voters. Will this happen, not as long as the left has control of the votes in the big city's.

Exactly. I like the plan but agree with your prognosis.

17 hours ago, Brewer said:

This is why we have the electoral college -- otherwise NYC, LA, and Chicago would decide every presidential election. Founding fathers called it "tyranny of the majority". If only we could implement a similar electoral college on the state level.

It could happen, if the State Constitution were to change, but it’s highly doubtful that would happen here, in Tennessee.

Edited by Moped

Well there you have it, the Virginia AG says if these laws are passed; they will be enforced. I think we all kinda knew that.

With the Virginia legislature almost evenly split, and all the voters and all these counties taking a stand; it’s hard to believe any of these restrictions will pass. I guess we will find out soon.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

With the economy in better shape, and the job market growing, apparently you can get elected, or keep your elected position, by being a proponent of violating the 2nd Amendment rights Citizens have under the United States Constitution.

At some point the United States Supreme Court has to get off the fence and address this issue. We either have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms; or we don’t. This “reasonable restrictions” BS isn’t going to cut it.

Believe it or not Dan Helmer graduated West Point and was an Officer in the Army. Sorry, but I just find it hard to believe that anyone smart enough to be a Military Officer (even in the Army ;)) could be the same clown that made a video stating the following…

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/385670-dem-house-candidate-releases-video-showing-lack-of-background-checks-at-gun

There was no background check required. Uh, in fact I was able to walk out there, buy a rifle, an assault rifle functionally similar to exactly the same rifle I carried in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, you know, it’s an incredibly dangerous piece of weaponry that’s meant for war, and we were able to buy it in just a few minutes without a background check.