Glocks annoucement on December 10

tercel89

I want to like most everything that goes bang. I am sure it has a market. I'll never quite understand the moratorium on realistic capacity mags for anything .22, That to me is where they could have provided a nod to us who are jaded and looking for a reason to justify it.

I don't see a feature setting it apart from the competition. Its squarely aimed at Glock fans or users who are not fond of Glock conversion kits for training (retaining the 5.5 to 6 lb Glock trigger).  Missed opportunities in my opinion.

Not sure who all was involved in the vid. But seems that this gun is mostly for girls.

https://www.armytimes.com/video/2019/12/13/a-first-look-at-the-new-glock-44-gearscout-guide/

• Administrator

I am not-so-silently judging anyone who says this gun is PeRfeCt FoR TrAiNiNG WiTH because the only thing that translates between shooting .22LR and shooting a service caliber is that you don't want to be in front of either one of them when someone pulls the trigger.

If I'm spending $500 for "training", I am buying 2,000 rounds of 9mm, or a SIRT pistol, or maybe a nice airsoft rig patterned after my EDC so that I can use it for some basic force on force training.  Or, I'll use that airsoft gun for plinking at things where even a 22LR might get me in trouble with the neighbors, police, etc.

The G44 is, for me, the biggest let-down announcement of the decade from a major manufacturer regardless of how many of them they sell.

If you're hosting a super-secret product launch at 10AM on the 10th day of the month, and you don't launch a 10mm something, you're doing it wrong and your whole marketing department should be fired.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

.......If you're hosting a super-secret product launch at 10AM on the 10th day of the month, and you don't launch a 10mm something, you're doing it wrong and your whole marketing department should be fired.

Pretty much this!!!

That was where my money was. 10mm is in vogue and theirs is looooong in the tooth. I put my 20C top end one of my RTF2 SF frames....with this kind of offering, that's probably as good as it will get.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
36 minutes ago, Erich said:

Pretty much this!!!

That was where my money was. 10mm is in vogue and theirs is looooong in the tooth. I put my 20C top end one of my RTF2 SF frames....with this kind of offering, that's probably as good as it will get.

They could easily get 13rds of 10mm in a Glock 19/23 sized handgun.  Or, go nuts and give us an 8 or 9rd single stack 10mm with the profile of a G19 and the width of a G48.

Once again Gaston thumbs his nose at everyone and builds something no one really asked for, and will sell a million of them because it's a Glock.

It's disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, TGO David said:

They could easily get 13rds of 10mm in a Glock 19/23 sized handgun.  Or, go nuts and give us an 8 or 9rd single stack 10mm with the profile of a G19 and the width of a G48.

Once again Gaston thumbs his nose at everyone and builds something no one really asked for, and will sell a million of them because it's a Glock.

It's disappointing.

I agree it was a huge disappointment for me. I was thinking at least do a 45ACP and 10mm in the width and size of the 43X. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, TGO David said:

It's disappointing.

Isn't 10mm 2-3mm longer than 9x19? Would it actually be possible to safely stuff that into a G19 or G43 or G48  type frame, and have no feeding issues?

I don't know enough to have a good idea, but I do remember reading a lot that converting a .45acp 1911 to 9mm can generate some feeding issues due to the differing geometries and I'm wondering if similar considerations would apply...

The (real)10mm round runs higher pressures so the chambers / barrels and related compenents are larger (beefier). In the 10mm and 45ACP Glock world, they have their own larger dedicated frame and slides so they dont blow up the smaller frame/slide bits (which is why they had to go that way after they tried)

Edited by Erich

I don't understand why all the Glockphiles are getting so bent over the 10 round capacity. Ten rounds is pretty much the standard for .22 pistols. Anything more is unusual. 

I think they're just disappointed over the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" and just looking for something to gripe about. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

For me this is a great gun. In the Dark Ages when I had only a S&W 19 I couldnt wait until I could afford a S&W 18 and have the .22 version too shoot cheap,big win for Me. If this did not trip ya trigger the new Shot Show release will do less.

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I don't understand why all the Glockphiles are getting so bent over the 10 round capacity. Ten rounds is pretty much the standard for .22 pistols. Anything more is unusual. 

I think they're just disappointed over the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" and just looking for something to gripe about. :rolleyes:

Maybe you are right...maybe not. lol For me, have ordered the Taurus TX 22, with it's 16 round capacity. I absolutely hate loading any 22 magazine.

When I shoot 22 handguns, I try to have all I have pre-loaded before getting to the range.  And if mag costs are close to reasonable, I like having 6 or even more mags ready. That way, I can empty about half then take a breather and load the empties. Just my way of enjoying the time.

I've said here before, the best and favorite 22 shooter of mine is a G22 with an AA upper on it. But it has the absolute worst mags for loading, no problems, just a pita to load. Worse than Ruger, Smiths or even older  High Standards. So the higher capacity on the Taurus was important to me.

Now that the G44 has debuted, I'll be waiting to see if Glock decides to go for greater capacity as well. With their mag reliability, surely they can produce something that equals the Taurus. 🙊

Edited by hipower
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I think we should clarify something as Glock haters are reading this as a Glock lover thing when that isnt it and they are missing the point.

Rather its a general 22 thing. I own no 22 semi auto guns (or rifles) that only hold 10. I care less whose name is printed on it.

Just because its a standard does not stop it from being nonsense. Its just agreed on nonsense, which much is worse. Folks accepting it overtime are actually part of the problem it perpetuates.

It makes as much sense as everyone whacking themselves in the head with a hammer everyday at 3PM because we all agree to do it. How about not doing it because it makes no sense? By that same token, 10 round 22 mags in a full size gun no matter whose name is on the side makes no sense.

If someone wants to play the Liberal states rationale. There are plenty of guns sold for compliant states where they stick in the weenie mags in place of their real ones. All makes do it. Why only make the weenie mags the only option for 22? 

• Like 2

It just occurred to me that the main reason I'm so opposed to 10 round mags is that I'm emotionally scarred from being in a ban state for so long is that now, my first reaction when I see 10 round anything is to want to stomp on it and throw it in the garbage.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

The early boxes were stamped with 15 round mags. 

The day is long past - but there was a time when a mostly polymer .22 pistol with the (as yet unproven) reliability of a Glock would have been a big win for sticking in the bottom of a ruck. 

These days, there are great options in .22 LR.  And I’ve got one of most of them. But, I’ll probably still buy one - because I love shooting .22s. 

It’s cheap, it suppresses great, and it’s a great way to get new shooters acclimated to shooting.

Maybe it’s all the accumulated memories. I was allowed to shoot .22 as soon as I could by my own rounds with my allowance. Once my dad gave the okay, the gentleman at the surplus store up the street would sell me ammo anytime.

To this day, I still feel like a king when a break open a box of .22LR to shoot at whatever and nothing in particular. Hickory nuts, cans, squirrels, or old shotgun shell hulls, doesn’t make a difference. I’m game.

• Like 3