So, I bought a new (used) vehicle

A.J. Holst

2012 MB GLK 350 4matic with 85k miles.

Purchased from the dealership where my wife works with a service contract and GAP coverage.

Initially, I was looking at the Honda Ridgeline, but for less than $15,000 I couldn't find one with under 100k miles.

Stumbled across the GLK, internet revealed the ought 12 to be the best of the model run.

Boxy, with early Subie Forester lines. Reminds me of my '94 Jeep Cherokee. Interior is nicely appointed but Teutonically spartan. I like it.

Google images will be way more interesting than what I could post.

Best I can tell, mine is the mid trim level;  no nav, backup camera, heated seats, fancy rims, or sensors for adaptaive cruise and such. Less stuff to break?

Peppy with the 3.5L V6

500 miles since purchase, both city and highway.

19-20 around town, 24-25 highway with cruise at 70.

MB claims it's roots are in the G-Wagen, hence GLK = Galendewagen Luxus Kompaktklasse.

Yeah right, seems bit of marketing hype, maybe even an over promise and under deliver scenario if I can't make it up the Hinkle Road hill.

My minimum requirement was an AWD system to get me home, out of my gently sloping driveway and subdivision, and the occasional unimproved but somewhat graded road / very established trail to a shooting range.

After YouTube'ing yesterday, it's remarkable what this little SUV can do in a parking lot.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE BLOOMBERG PREZ ADVERT YOU ARE FORCED TO WATCH

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 3

Hopefully it will treat you well.    Are you able to do most of the anticipated maintenance items?    Not that any dealership is cheap, European makes are typically the most expensive to repair so it pays to either do it yourself or find a good independent shop knowledgeable on the brand.   

1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

Hopefully it will treat you well.    Are you able to do most of the anticipated maintenance items?    Not that any dealership is cheap, European makes are typically the most expensive to repair so it pays to either do it yourself or find a good independent shop knowledgeable on the brand.  

Chilhowee Benz Repair came recommended and will perform work covered under my CNA extended service contract.

As this is replacing my company car, I get an allowance which *should* cover routine maintenance and premium fuel.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, Sidecarist said:

I have a friend with one of these that has more than 260k mi on

Woohoo!

Here's the 30 day / 3000 mile update.

It is fun drive in all the conditions I've been in, from drive it like you stole it, sedate stop and go traffic, cruising  down the interstate, and light off road.

20mpg around town, 24mpg cruise at 70 highway.

The off road was at the Phillips Edwards Farm, sloppy and rutted with incline navigation. Other than a little bouncy, very sure footed.

Equipped new with Kuhmo Cruger HP71 tires. No experience with the market leading Michelin LTX series, but these are quiet and perform just fine for my driving habits.

After 2000 miles, I detected a shudder and the RPMs were bouncing under load, speeds under 50 and RPMs 1200- 1800 range.

Internet search, using shudder / RPM keywords revealed a little more info on maintenance and reliability.

I'm not popping any codes or lights.

Best case, Mass Air Flow sensor. 

YouTube says I can perform this part replacement

$119 plus tax, identical Bosch replacement, 20 minute job with a screw driver to pop a clip.

Test drive, no dice.

The next likely culprit is the torque converter or worse, transfer case.

Jason at Chilhowee Benz referred me to Eric at Bearden Benz.

Apparently MB has changed how they provide proprietary parts; you must be CERTIFIED if non franchise to have full access to the MB parts catalogue.

Eric determines it is the converter, files a claim with CNA, covered, no questions asked, ordered the part.

Dropped off yesterday, Enterprise picked me up (rental coverage under my service contract)

Should get it back Friday latest.

Even with the mechanical hiccup, I am still looking forward to the next 150,000+ miles!

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I would guess your service contract just paid for itself. :up:

Indeed!

Full disclosure, I purchased this extended service plan / contract from my wife at DEAD cost, plus tax, YMMV on pricing if you decide to purchase one on any used vehicle.

While it may seem to be semantics, only the manufacturer can warranty a product.

We were just in a similar situation, got the wife a `17 Nissan Rogue for the same cost (assuming with your first post numbers.) AWD, and it had a back up camera. :P She gets 35MPG mixed. I had never owned a Nissan before and never would have thought twice about one if this one hadn't caught my eye.

On 1/1/2020 at 5:23 PM, Murgatroy said:

We were just in a similar situation, got the wife a `17 Nissan Rogue for the same cost (assuming with your first post numbers.) AWD, and it had a back up camera. :P She gets 35MPG mixed. I had never owned a Nissan before and never would have thought twice about one if this one hadn't caught my eye.

Run like hell from Nissan's CVT transmissions. Nothing but junk.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:33 PM, alingo2001 said:

Run like hell from Nissan's CVT transmissions. Nothing but junk.

No experience, but I'm guessing service and maintenance...

The MB 4Matic is a sealed trans unit and initially MB said service at 100k

According to the shop, a service bulletin came out in '13 for a 70k service interval, which they thought an odd mileage.

That has evolved to every 40k which includes some magic MB chemical additives.

My guess on these 7 8 9 speed transmissions is when an issue pops up at later mileage, you've got subsequent or consequential damage, ala a $6-$7k replacement vs. a $2-$3k repair.

Just a guess, but I don't think you'd get out any cheaper than $1500 for a non-descript domestic sedan transmission problem.

I'm still digging my GLicK, it seems a great combination of individual features from previous vehicles I've owned.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, 5,000 miles in, 19,000 left on service contract.

Drove over to Cherokee via 441. 

Effortless, 35-45 mph, RPMs never really exceeded 1500, averaged 23 MPG.

This trip also verified the transmission was properly repaired and revealed no other odd clunks, clicks, rattles, or quirks.

Around town (don't really have stop and go traffic) about 22mpg

At 70 and 2200 RPMs, 24.5 +/-

55 -60 and 1800 RPMs, 25.2/3

This has been consistent since purchase, I thought the mileage would increase with a non slipping torque converter

Can have a conversation and hear the radio with the sunroof open at interstate speeds.

Shape of hatch makes for easy load / unload.

With seats down, I can sleep in it, when necessary. Seats up, storage could get tight.

I wouldn't recommend it as a family hauler except for small or no kids. Backseat is fine for adults, for shorter trips.

On occasion I will still put my foot to it; while a 4000# vehicle, the 268hp V6 gets it done.

Interestingly, from internet research, the comment of limited  body roll in corners seems accurate.

Noticed it at Exit 11 from Pellissippi to 129 Northbound

Downside is the seats are not deep buckets or have oversized bolsters.

I've also hit it with 3 applications of Liquid Glass magical auto polish. I've used it for years, easy to apply and remove.

It's black with paint work and minor buffer swirls. the Liquid Glass does a nice job of restoring some color and reducing the swirls. YMMV!!!

Rough maintenance costs

A Service, fancy oil change and inspection, $200

at the next 10k

B Service, as above plus air filters, brake fluid change, lube, etc. $300ish

100k, suggest new plugs, quoted $350

YouTube says I can do it myself as well as the air and cabin filters.

Transmission service in 40k and then every 40k

Brakes are noted as a more frequent replacement, we'll see.

Keep an eye on motor mounts, liquid filled, can fail.

There is a GLK Forum I've done some lurking on, they guys over there refer to the Stealership when forced to go for parts and service.

• 3 months later...

16,000 miles clocked and hoping I can drive this thing as long as practical.

I like it that much.

My service contract paid out again, this time for cracked / worn strut arm bushings, idle, tensioner, pulleys.

Having a B Service done at Bearden Benz, service advisor points out, "worn, not dangerous, need to be thinking about replacing within next 10k."

Saved a few bucks by replacing the plugs and air filters myself.

Pull out my CNA Service Contract; level of coverage I selected was close to new car, and stuff like this is covered under factory for pre-mature wear. Pretty cool. 

YMMV

I wish it wasn't black, it's a chore to keep clean and sparkly

Ran out of Liquid Glass, started using Chemical Guys Hydro Slick; does a nice job and has eliminated / reduced a remarkable number of swirls and scratches.

Ponies up for some WeatherTech floor liners, I am a fan. Quality and fit are top notch.

Keeping the tires rotated at 7-8k for max life and best ride possible.

Other than that, I'm pulling 22ish mpg on my commute to the office, up to 24.3 on the highway @ 70 and 19-20 grocery getting.

IMG_20200430_173328837.jpg

IMG_20200430_173341414.jpg

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

I wish it wasn't black, it's a chore to keep clean and sparkly

Ran out of Liquid Glass, started using Chemical Guys Hydro Slick; does a nice job and has eliminated / reduced a remarkable number of swirls and scratches.

You should be using one of these

https://www.ebay.com/i/151402541778?chn=ps

I paid a $1500 upcharge for a black car with clear coat, it looked amazing up close.. 

I always wanted a black car, after 2 weeks I changed my mine, its impossible to keep a black car clean in Tn, unless you wash it every other day.

3 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

You should be using one of these

https://www.ebay.com/i/151402541778?chn=ps

I paid a $1500 upcharge for a black car with clear coat, it looked amazing up close.. 

I always wanted a black car, after 2 weeks I changed my mine, its impossible to keep a black car clean in Tn, unless you wash it every other day.

Amen. Black is killer when done well, but it's the first to show flaws and dirt. And its freakin hot in the summer. Fine for a toy, but ill never have another black daily driver. 

16 hours ago, peejman said:

Amen. Black is killer when done well, but it's the first to show flaws and dirt. And its freakin hot in the summer. Fine for a toy, but ill never have another black daily driver

The flaws have be the nature of the color and how my eye is drawn to the existing and now new door ding.

There's the positive to previously owned black, newly inflicted damage is less painful and I do take it off pavement.

Washed it yesterday, a fine dusting of pollen this morning.

Hot, yikes. Blazing Sun, hand laid flat on hood of wife's white Sorrento, warm. Mine, quick touch or leave skin.

Bought a windshield sunshade yesterday, can tell a difference just from sitting in my driveway.

The last epic fail in the temperature department is the panoramic greenhouse roof...

If I was buying new black vehicle, I would seriously consider the paint and fabric protection new car dealers offer.