First AR build

Just bought an Areo precision stripped lower on sale for 49.99 could not pass it up. I have been wanting to build one for a while. Undecided on weather to build a pistol or rifle. If I do a pistol I will probably build it in 300 blackout due to muzzle blast. Any one have a suggestion on a good book about building ARs? What about thoughts on pistol vs rifle?

• Like 1

No experience with the two you mentioned. I've used 300 BO barrels from Ballistic Advantage and they have been solid and very accurate. Not the least expensive barrels on the market but excellent quality. Very good customer service also, quickly and expertly answered all my questions before and after purchase.

@swiley383, decide how you want to use it and let that drive what configuration you build. (And how much you spend on components.)

One thing to note in case you don't already know, it's legal to build a rifle with a lower that was originally built as a pistol, but not legal to build a pistol with a lower that was originally a rifle. So, if you build the pistol first and decide you really want a rifle  there's no need (excuse?) to buy a new lower. Building a rifle first would require a new lower in order to legally build a pistol.

37 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

How is the ATF going to know what you build first??

You have to pick when you fill out the form, pistol, rifle, or other.

Here how it will bite you, you have an AR pistol in the car when you are pulled over for speeding. Being a good firearm owner you tell the LEO that you have a carry permit and have a pistol. LEO decides to run the serial number and finds when you filled out the paper work at the FFL that you picked "rifle". I think the rest you can figure out.

I know this is a rare thing, but it can, could and will happen. Better believe that if you get a charge on you and and in the search the AR pistol is found there will be another charge put on you.

Edited by RED333
1 hour ago, RED333 said:

You have to pick when you fill out the form, pistol, rifle, or other.

Here how it will bite you, you have an AR pistol in the car when you are pulled over for speeding. Being a good firearm owner you tell the LEO that you have a carry permit and have a pistol. LEO decides to run the serial number and finds when you filled out the paper work at the FFL that you picked "rifle". I think the rest you can figure out.

I know this is a rare thing, but it can, could and will happen. Better believe that if you get a charge on you and and in the search the AR pistol is found there will be another charge put on you.

For how cheap lowers are, it is not worth the risk. 

Complete pistol lower $120

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-stealth-classic-shockwave-pistol-lower-no-magazine-black.html

Complete Rifle lower $130

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-freedom-classic-lower-odg-7779347.html

Having one of each around in case you want to build another one is not a huge outlay and you can switch uppers around as long as the rife meets minimum barrel length. 

Just remember a pistol is a pistol until you put a stock on it, then it is either a sbr or a rifle ( depending on barrel length) and per ATF can't go back. Of course pistols can use braces....

Did I miss anything on the tangled web of AR legality?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I am sure we have, the way laws are written I do believe we are all in some sort of violation some where. The founders are turning over in their graves.

10 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Just remember a pistol is a pistol until you put a stock on it, then it is either a sbr or a rifle ( depending on barrel length) and per ATF can't go back. Of course pistols can use braces....

As far as using a brace as a stock, you just need to understand that the legality of that is based on an ATF ruling; not the written law. The ATF tells you on their web site that their rulings do not have force of law. If a Prosecutor decides to charge someone; that ruling will help the accused, but if the court disagrees with that ATF ruling; they are not bound by it.

I’m not saying a brace is illegal. I’m saying if you are using a brace as a stock; LE and the courts are not bound by that ATF ruling. Knowing this information and reading the law is the only way a person can make an informed decision.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

As far as using a brace as a stock, you just need to understand that the legality of that is based on an ATF ruling; not the written law. The ATF tells you on their web site that their rulings do not have force of law. If a Prosecutor decides to charge someone; that ruling will help the accused, but if the court disagrees with that ATF ruling; they are not bound by it.

I’m not saying a brace is illegal. I’m saying if you are using a brace as a stock; LE and the courts are not bound by that ATF ruling. Knowing this information and reading the law is the only way a person can make an informed decision.

I never said to use a brace as a stock. Proof of Intent to use a brace that way probably would translate to the same as having a stock in court. The 2 separate legal issues here are the legality of braces and the legality of shouldering a brace. The ATF can change rulings at their whim so that means you need to keep up on the current opinion. Luckily most braces are easily removed.

The origional comment I responded to referenced using a lower differently than the paperwork filed. For example building a rifle on a lower transfered as a pistol. Those situations are much less gray area. I just mentioned braces as an additional wrinkle. 

Edited by Ronald_55
sp
13 hours ago, swiley383 said:

I did not have to specify when I did the paperwork. The guy at the shop told me I can build a rifle and the change it to a pistol but not a pistol to a rifle

If that's what he told you, he told you exactly wrong.

I'd strongly encourage you to verify this with him, to be sure there was no misunderstanding. Also, insist on looking at your completed background check paperwork, to see how your receiver was classed. If that paperworkv does say "rifle", don't build a pistol of any kind at any time with that receiver.

Also, as a point of clarification, you can start with a pistol, build a rifle, and then go back to a pistol.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

https://smile.amazon.com/Building-Your-AR-15-Scratch-VanMiddlesworth/dp/B004ZZDYDG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=9G8C7TYT9P6B&keywords=building+your+ar-15+from+scratch&qid=1577036742&sprefix=building+an+ar-15+from+%2Caps%2C389&sr=8-1

I used this for my first build, guy makes it very simple and gives some helpful tips.  I still refer back from time to time.

Edited by pitt2magic

I won’t add additional mess into the pistol vs rifle comparison. I will say I have been very impressed with my faxon barrels. I would also suggest 5.56 for the first build as ammo is significantly cheaper while your building your knowledge of the platform and what you ultimately want to do with it. 

I already have a M&P 15 in 5.56 just wanting a pistol version and decided to go with 300 black out for the muzzle blast. Eventually I will also build a rifle because lets face it it you can’t own to many ARs. May do a rifle in 6.8 spe as well one day.

18 hours ago, swiley383 said:

Do you guys check the head space on your builds I have read mixed things. I want to make sure I do this right. Have pricing go/ no go gauges.

Nope. Any barrel and extension should be head spaced already

If you are at all concerned, all you need to check headspace is a loaded round, your stripped bolt, and a roll of masking tape. Measure the thickness of the masking tape. Add one layer at a time to the head of your shell and attempt to close the stripped bolt on it. Repeat until it will not close. Do the math.

• Like 2