New Indoor Range - Family Fun Indoor Range (Sevierville, TN)

I couldn't decide where to post this shooting range information, so, I picked this topic.  Might be good under women's topic also as it is a unique range (for women basically). However, men are accepted, read the story and you will see. 

This range is located where the Sevierville, TN Indoor Range use to be (it closed sometime back). 

I POST this because it is a Unique Sort of Range based on this statement. 
The Only Indoor Shooting Range in the Country Designed Specifically for 
"Women, Their Families and Friends"!

Go to their Web Site for more Information. 

http://www.familyfunindoorrange.com/ffircontact.html

CLICK on the links at bottom of the Web Page for their FACEBOOK and MYSFWA (some sort of women's firearms organization). 

I POST INFO in case you live near Sevierville, TN and want to check the range out. They are nice friendly people, they do offer classes of all kinds (shooting, CC, safety, fitting gun to hand, even a safety class for children 6 and up. And, found out they do allow men (not just families of women).   

I think  the owner of the range is also founder of SFWA Organization. They have done a great job of remodeling (looks like a women's salon).

LONG STORY: End result is I did get the $100 year shooting membership, thin because of contacts I made Sat and SUN.   

A friend that is a member of Sevier County Gun Club (SCGC) sent me an EMAIL for what looked like an offer for a years shooting membership for $100 at Fam Fun Indoor Range.  

I called the range Nov 30 (offer expired Dec 1) to check on the deal. I found out latte (6PM - the lady in charge had been busy with a CC Class) that the offer was for members of SCGC (the $100 year shooting membership). She said, I could apply online and go join SCGC later (I think that is a $7 membership - I had considered it before, but did not). 

I decided not to mess with it as I prefer outdoor ranges (like TN Wildlife or National Forest ranges - all are 60 miles from me). 

However, I told the lady I would drop by to see what they had done with the range remodeling and maybe shoot once in awhile at the day rate ($12 all day price).  

I stopped by Sunday, Dec 1, and mentioned the phone conversation we had Saturday. After a bit of conversation, she said if you want a yearly membership I will sell you one for the $100 even though not a SCGC Member.  

So, I thought about it and decided I could do Target Shooting INDOOR RANGE (where you stand, look straight ahead, and aim and at targets some more than normal defense shooting away LOL). Then I could still do my other Outdoor Defense Stuff (move, draw, rack point aim, shoot) once in a while.  

I JOINED good til Dec 31, 2020 (13 months) and can bring a guest FREE.  

• Like 1

I did do a shoot there today.

Hope they make a go of the range as it is one of the more reasonable places to shoot at $12 all day or year membership at $200 something (fortunately, I got in on a deal at $100 for the year). 

My review (opinion) of the range is summary it is WORTH THE MONEY for sure. 

It is not up to the quality of BUDS equipment as far as the target movement but it works. One thing is the targets bounce around a bit after you run them to a location. And, the yardage is not marked, the owner said they painted over the numbers on the walls - guess they will correct that (NEED TOO). He and I went into the range floor and did some measurements: The first of 3 yellow line is like 9 foot (talking from where your gun would be when shooting a pistol), the next line is 15 foot, then 22 foot. I paced off another line (think it is at about 47 feet) and another at 57 Feet - longest is 25 yards. Also, It was cool in there and he was prepared to turn on a portable heater. I did not need that and told him to just leave it off, save his energy.

I can deal with some minor issues for the Money Difference -- it is nearly half the cost of BUDs and the people are nice. So, WORTH THE MONEY.

I had the range to myself - arrived at opening 10AM and was there until NOON. Nice to have range alone, but would like to see them with more business. hope they stay in business. 

I had a nice visit with the owner, Valdermere (sp), who was manning the counter when I arrived and got me signed in and checked my firearms.

I set up to shoot 5 different 22 pistols (some I consider more of TARGET pistols at long range and aiming with a hands supported and some I consider more of a defense pistol for free hand practice and shoot what I call Point / Aim for a quick shot). 

I also took two pump up pellet air guns (pistol and a rifle) to shoot at greater distance than I can at home (basement range is limited to 42 feet). support). I am amazed at their accuracy at 57 feet and 25 yards.

I was there until Noon shooting and checking targets and left at 12:20PM for home (it is about an 18 mile trip from my location which is about 7 miles from Hwy 66 via Boyds Creek Hwy). I used one target (FREE), extras if you need cost a $1 (I think). 

I need to add comments after I did a shoot there as the Owner of the range responded to some things I had mentioned that clarify their plans.

I copied some of owners comments and rewrote some a bit.  I have a better understanding of the operation and the point it is at now.  NOTE: My comments that I added to Owners comments are are in italic and underlined. 

My Opinion --- FAMILY FUN INDOOR RANGE (FFIR) is not just another Shooting Range

I would like to share some information from the owner about plans they have and history of SFWA and Family Fun Indoor Range.

Their web site (phone number and address are on the site).

Hopefully, this will help get them some support from folks that are into shooting and learning. 

Owner, I have been slammed (busy) writing some state curriculum for the new concealed carry permit online course coming up in 2020.

Owner, we have not advertised the range as open and have not had an actual opening because we have some upgrades we are doing which are not done yet. We have the Citizens Elite Simulator Program that is awesome. It is totally customized to civilians and for our training courses.

Owner, other improvements are coming (the range distances numbered, the sky panels installed, the glass walls finished, and the training complete). Then,  we will advertise and market.

I had wondered why seen nothing about the range opening - now understand as best to make a good first impression.

The future sounds GREAT and "It AIN'T just another shooting range". I wish them all the success.

Owner, we have been holding carry classes ($28 donation to SFWA for a confirmed seat and $12 to the range. We let peeps use our guns free to qualify (they have rental guns).

Now that is a reasonable CC Class, $28 and $12.

Owner, we have been doing a few fun things for vets and some women’s groups and of course the Sevier County Gun Club (one of our team members is the founder of that group).

Owner, our team is being Master Level Trained. It is very exciting as we we will have the best trained commercial range related instructors who cater to women and the men they bring with them. The best classes in the country for Civilian Personal Defense.

Owner, many folks try to equate what we are to other ranges that offer things for women. We truly are the ONLY range in the country designed SPECIFICALLY for Women and their Friends and Families. That said, we are not just women friendly, men are welcome.

Owner, we have member only lanes available all the time, even when we have classes. We have considered carefully the fact that here, everyone is family. We have a different idea as to limiting the time anyone shoots, even when we are busy.  It has worked well for the last 5 years when we had Family Fun Indoor Range in Kingston, TN. That  before we bought this range in Sevierville and moved FFIR here.

Owner, Shooting for Women Alliance, SFWA, is a non-profit organization that provides training free and by donation for confirmed seats to women and the men they bring with them.

Owner, I started SFWA after being held hostage in my home for 5 1/2 hours at Knifepoint in Knoxville in 1992. Also,  stalked for two years (before there was stalking laws or carry permits).

Owner, I personally have taught more than 100,000 people the handgun carry permit course and continue to help women increase the odds they will prevail if attacked. So, you will be seeing a lot of knew opportunities at the range!

• 3 weeks later...

I have enjoyed the Indoor Shooting more than I thought. 

I have been 5 times (I think) since I joined membership early DEC. Membership allows longer shoot time (not just an hour, their $12 fee does also allow longer time). So, not rushed, can run target back and forth. 

I have been playing with Air Guns (Pellet) rifles (2 Pump Ups and one Break barrel) and a pistol (Pump Up). You KNOW takes time to shoot those (Pump or Break the Break the Barrel to load one at a time). 

Deal is I shoot air guns in basement, but limited to 42 feet distance (I can move to basement entrance and get another 15 feet). Those guns all pretty accurate in basement and use only 4 pumps on the Pump Ups. I wanted to try them at 25 yards at the range. I spend typically 2 hours messing around with them and some 22 pistol shooting. 

It is INDOOR, but the range area is not hooked to the central heat or air. A ventilation fan is running as well. 

It's cool this time of year (was 40F outside Thursday). They have portable gas heater in the shooting area AND THEY OFFERED TO TURN IT ON. I declined as I was dressed warm to Ride MC over there (17 to 20 miles to the range). I was OK in the range, hands a bit cool (old folks, I am 81, have that issue). 

The folks, Susan and Ladimiar (owners), and Denise are very friendly. Yesterday they were teaching a class to a couple (class for becoming and Instructor). They were on a break and invited me to sit with them and had a cup of hot cider (social interaction). 

BTW, Members have access to the "kitchen" and snacks. I never have used that except for this time (cider). I might enjoy a coffee or something occasionally. 

I think it is an enjoyable place (and so far when I am there, been only one or two other shooters come in - hope that improves for them but not get over crowded for me LOL). 

Only one thing concerns me and that is a Gun Check at counter in common area before entering the range. 

I just don't think it is wise to be taking guns out of a container at a counter (people screw up - maybe have one in chamber and then handling it at a counter, AD or ND --- STUFF HAPPENS). Most RANGES and GUN DEALERS - DO NOT want you to take a gun out for any reason. 

I carry into the Building: Rifles with Bolt Open (not in a container) and pistols in a padded zipped up container in a carry bag (be several pistols). I open the zipper and show them not loaded (rack back). I think they prefer to open the container and check gun (found that out yesterday). I AM NOT SURE why they do this (perhaps restrict some guns going into the range?). 

My opinion, safer and best to leave guns in containers and in bag and just go on into the range area. NOT to take guns out at a counter in common area. STUFF HAPPENS.