What would TGO do?

DaveTN

What would TGO do?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What would TGO do?

• Smith & Wesson Model 41
    • Ruger Mark IV Competition

I have been getting into .22’s more because I think I will shoot them more, I also have most of what I need in centerfires.

After a lot of research I decided on either the 7” Smith & Wesson Model 41 or the Ruger Mark IV Competition model.

After advertising in several places, I didn’t find any luck in finding anything used. So I’m about to make a decision on new.

This would be a range toy, target gun. It would never be carried in the woods, or anywhere else for that matter. I wouldn’t even need a holster for it.

The S&W Model 41 is the Grand Daddy of the rimfires. It has an excellent reputation and although it costs a lot; I could probably get my money back if I decided to sell it. The old ones are bringing (or at least asking) more than new. But this gun is still being made and is available for $1030 plus a transfer new.

The reviews I have read by those that have shot both say the Ruger Mark IV Competition is every bit as accurate as the Model 41. It is a highly respected firearm and since Ruger changed the disassembly/assembly issues; it is the one I’m leaning towards. I can buy t for $560 plus a transfer.

I love me some Smith & Wesson’s and I have the cash for the 41, but I think by going with the Ruger I will have a high quality target .22 and can use the money left over for the single action cowboy gun I don’t have yet.

What say you?

W6R31JD.jpg

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1

I'm a Ruger fan boy and have never denied it.   Between the two, you can't go wrong.  It's going to come down to cost at that point.   Which are you more comfortable dropping cash on.  Depending on what kind of single action you got, you could still have enough money to get an accurizing kit and give the Ruger a better trigger.   Or maybe an optic.   Or any number of other things.   But the Smith 41 is a classic.  I tell you want, give me all your gun money, and then I can make the decision for you. 

• Haha 1

I would go with the Ruger based on the upfront cost, as you plainly stated "you THINK" you will shoot it/them more in your mind.  IF you do shoot it (22 LR) more, then go for the S&W if the Ruger does not scratch all of the itch you have.  You may end up with 2 quality 22LR's, but I can't see a down side of that from this side of the table.😀

I voted for the Model 41. I have one with both the 7" and 5.5" barrels. Absolutely amazingly accurate  pistol. I just can't praise it enough.  :bow:

The Rugers are excellent guns, but I've found that the grip angle is wrong for me. I just never liked the feel of 'em. 

Yep, you can save a lot of money by buying the Ruger. But then somewhere in the back of your mind you'll always have that nagging thought, "But what IF I had bought that Model 41?" :shrug:

Just now, Grayfox54 said:

I voted for the Model 41. I have one with both the 7" and 5.5" barrels. Absolutely amazingly accurate  pistol. I just can't praise it enough.  :bow:

The Rugers are excellent guns, but I've found that the grip angle is wrong for me. I just never liked the feel of 'em. 

Yep, you can save a lot of money by buying the Ruger. But then somewhere in the back of your mind you'll always have that nagging thought, "But what IF I had bought that Model 41?" :shrug:

Which grip angle?  It comes in two different versions. 

Of the two options I vote Ruger simply based on my long ownership of a Mark II 5.5” target model.  Never had the opportunity to handle a Model 41.

If I were to go full TGO you I would present an option, lol.  You could have bought 3 S&W Victory’s at Academy last weekend (and gotten $140 in gift cards for ammo) for the price of one 41.  They aren’t pretty but I swear it’s on par with the Ruger.

Edited by Garufa

Dave, I don’t think you are far from me.  You can come to my place and shoot both and decide for yourself if you want.  Mine is a Mark III hunter but close enough.  My 41 is a 5.5” Heavy barrel. 

My Ruger has the Volquartsen hammer and sear.  I think you will still choose the 41 if your shoot both.  

let me know if you are interested.  

• Like 2

I am sticking with my Browning Challenger I that was my Dad's.  And to make it better, yesterday I received 3 magazines that I have been searching for from Triple K who finally had them in stock for the "outrageous" price of $48 each!

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion . . .

Thanks for letting me butt in! :)

• Admin Team

Having had several of both, they’re both great guns.  The Smith has its legendary reputation for a reason.  

I’ve currently got a bunch of Rugers.  They’re reliable and good shooters.  

If I had to start over today, I’d go straight to the Volquartsen milled frame with some  VZ grips.  I’ve shot a variety of uppers.  The Tactical Solutions and the Volquartsen ones are  both great shooters.  

I have both, kind of, my 41 being an older model and my Ruger being a 22/45 lite. That being said with the price difference I'd go Ruger all day. Both are excellent, the price tag would be the determining factor for me. You aren't getting any extra performance at double the price. IMO.