Shelby County considers banning gun shows at Agricenter

https://wreg.com/2019/12/04/shelby-county-considers-banning-gun-shows-at-agricenter/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Shelby County commissioners are considering a resolution that would ban gun shows on county-owned property, though the county-owned Agricenter has already decided not to host the events.

Commissioner Tami Sawyer sponsored the resolution, saying Knoxville and Nashville have done this already in light of the proliferation of gun violence.

The county proposal could have an impact on the annual gun show held at the Agricenter. That gun show is scheduled for Dec. 14 and 15. Agricenter officials say they usually host up to seven gun events at the Shelby Farms facility.

Representatives from the Agricenter were not present at Wednesday’s meeting. A committee vote on the resolution was tabled until January so Agricenter representatives could attend.

But when reached later for comment, Agricenter officials said the pressure from county commission is a moot point, because about two months ago they decided gun shows were not in line with their mission of promoting agriculture.

They decided not to renew their contract with the gun show vendor in 2020.

The resolution points out thousands of crimes in Shelby County are committed with firearms and states that gun shows “are the antithesis of promoting public safety and community peace and harmony.”

“Especially in light of the high number of homicides we have in this county as well as the high number of accidental deaths with youth who interact with guns. Just moving us toward a county with more gun safety and gun sense,” Commissioner Tami Sawyer said.

Jun Cai, a representative from the Tennessee Firearms Association of Shelby County spoke at the committee meeting, and said his group would oppose the resolution.

Few of the weapons used in violent crimes were sold at gun shows, he said. Gun shows also generate money for the county, and buyers are required to undergo background checks, he said.

Apparently Agricenter management has already made the decision. The politicians just want to take credit for it.  :mad: 

The Agricenter management has a very long history of being anti-gun. Years ago they cooked the books to make the old County shooting range look like it was loosing money just as an excuse to shut it down. Truth is that range made a good profit. 

Honestly, I don't know how gun shows have stayed there as long as they have. But I have no doubt that RK will find another venue. I remember back in the 70s and 80s gun shows were often held in the large meeting rooms at big hotels. I'm sure somebody will be happy to make that money. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 94user said:

I quit going to the RK shows at the Ag center years ago.Deals to be had were rare as hen's teeth so why should I pay $10 to go see the same things I could at Gun's & Ammo or Classic for free?

I also stopped going to the RK Shows at the Ag Center for the same reason.  Just was not worth it.

Very timely as Knoxville's last RK show on city owned property will be at the end of this month. And as someone who has lived here all their life I can say with 100% certainty it will do nothing to improve the area around it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FUJIMO said:

Very timely as Knoxville's last RK show on city owned property will be at the end of this month. And as someone who has lived here all their life I can say with 100% certainty it will do nothing to improve the area around it.

Of course it won't. What is it they call this horse crap? Virtue signaling I think.

Its all political. Shelby County (Memphis) is a liberal cesspool. Its about looking like you're doing something when you actually aren't. That's the Democrat way. 

Agricenter officials said the pressure from county commission is a moot point, because about two months ago they decided gun shows were not in line with their mission of promoting agriculture.

And the doll shows, jewelry shows, bead shows, etc are promoting agriculture in such a big way.  :confused: 

You're much more likely to find a gun on a farm than any of that junk. :mad:

I also stopped going to the RK Shows at the Ag Center for the same reason.  Just was not worth it.

I don't blame you. Usually just the same old plastic pistols, ARs and useless taticool junk.  :puke:But I do go to almost every one. 99% of the time all I might buy is a Dr. Pepper. But every once in a while you do run across a real gem that makes it all worth it.  So I go expecting nothing, but hoping for the best.   Besides, its a good way to kill a few hours on a Saturday.  ;)

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I don't blame you. Usually just the same old plastic pistols, ARs and useless taticool junk.  :puke:But I do go to almost every one. 99% of the time all I might buy is a Dr. Pepper. But every once in a while you do run across a real gem that makes it all worth it.  So I go expecting nothing, but hoping for the best.   Besides, its a good way to kill a few hours on a Saturday.  ;)

Sounds like the same RK crowd that tables the Knoxville shows make the circuit all the way down there, lol.

• Like 1