Palo Duro Canyon (pic heavy)

KahrMan

While on my crane hunt in Texas I took some time to check out Palo Duro Canyon.  It is the 2nd largest canyon in the country.  If you like western topography I would highly recommend checking it out.  It is a pretty cool place.  You are allowed to camp there and it is a great place to hike or just sight see.

0-Qk0-VCh-MTP6r-Yx4-YOI-c-Vw.jpg

55wyk2pu-TNm-Jc-XFGIg-Q4-RQ.jpg

5-Ztagpcq-RLi4602q-YZq5-Pg.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1aaf.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab0.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab1.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab2.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab3.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab4.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab5.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab6.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab7.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab8.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1ab9.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1aba.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1abb.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1abc.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1abd.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1abe.jpg

fullsizeoutput-1abf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
14 minutes ago, Photoguy67 said:

Very nice!! I had never heard of that until now. Curious, did you drive or fly? looks like it would be a good two day drive there.

Drove.  It is a 14 hr drive.  We split it up over two days on the way out there.  Coming back we left about 2:30 in the afternoon and drove straight thru arriving about 4:30 in the morning.

• Like 1

We and out traveling companion visited there 2 years ago. Beautiful place and we even have some of the banana colored rocks that come from the bottom of the canyon. I was surprised how fast the water level rose to flood stage and all the signage warning campers and drivers. We spent 2 days there  camping in RVs.

We had traveled to Ardmore/Gene Autry, Oklahoma to take in the Cowboy Way Festival. We even got to see James Druary, known as the Virginian, Gary Ckark (known as Steve) and Roberta Shore( known as Betsy) from the series on TV years ago(70's).  He was the only TV star that never had a name on screen. Simply known as the Virginian. 

Also seen and talked with the guy that was James Arness/Mat Dillon (Gunsmoke) stunt double. It was a hoot! My grandson has Downs Syndrome and James Druary invited/allowed Cody to sit at his table during the final evening of the festival dinner. Cody is quick to say, "James Durary is my friend." Cody is our traveling companion. He is 27 and has been in all the lower 48 states except California, Oregon, and Nevada. Making plans to take that trip this summer, if possible. May even hit the Cowboy Way Festival which is being held in San Angelo, Texas, this coming May. That would be a great trip in May and June. 

From Ardmore,  we made a swing through Amarillo, Dallas/Fort Worth, Abilene, Fredericksburg, San Antonio, Austin, and Waco Texas.   Visited the "Home and Garden Stars" remodeling stars, Chip and Johana Gains' Magnolia Silos, while in Waco. Her bakery had some of the best cup cakes I have ever eaten.  We had a blast on that trip. 

KahrMan, I know you had great fun. Palo Doro Canyon is great. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

We and out traveling companion visited there 2 years ago. Beautiful place and we even have some of the banana colored rocks that come from the bottom of the canyon. I was surprised how fast the water level rose to flood stage and all the signage warning campers and drivers. We spent 2 days there  camping in RVs.

We had traveled to Ardmore/Gene Autry, Oklahoma to take in the Cowboy Way Festival. We even got to see James Druary, known as the Virginian, Gary Ckark (known as Steve) and Roberta Shore( known as Betsy) from the series on TV years ago(70's).  He was the only TV star that never had a name on screen. Simply known as the Virginian. 

Also seen and talked with the guy that was James Arness/Mat Dillon (Gunsmoke) stunt double. It was a hoot! My grandson has Downs Syndrome and James Druary invited/allowed Cody to sit at his table during the final evening of the festival dinner. Cody is quick to say, "James Durary is my friend." Cody is our traveling companion. He is 27 and has been in all the lower 48 states except California, Oregon, and Nevada. Making plans to take that trip this summer, if possible. May even hit the Cowboy Way Festival which is being held in San Angelo, Texas, this coming May. That would be a great trip in May and June. 

From Ardmore,  we made a swing through Amarillo, Dallas/Fort Worth, Abilene, Fredericksburg, San Antonio, Austin, and Waco Texas.   Visited the "Home and Garden Stars" remodeling stars, Chip and Johana Gains' Magnolia Silos, while in Waco. Her bakery had some of the best cup cakes I have ever eaten.  We had a blast on that trip. 

KahrMan, I know you had great fun. Palo Doro Canyon is great. 

They did have a lot of signs warning about the flash flooding that can occur.  I went to school in Ft. Worth and have seen first hand how fast a dry creek bed can turn into a raging river.  It's something you do not see around here.  

It's on my bucket list. Haven't made it yet, due to various reasons. I first learned of this a few yrs. ago while reading western novels ( my fav. books ). It told a story how cattle rancher Charles Goodnight stumbled across it during a cattle drive. Some of it was fiction, of course, but I looked it up, the canyon was real, and I became facsinated by it. There are several Youtube videos on it. Awesome place!

I'm envious, LOL

• Like 1