Shooting at Pensacola Naval base

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pensacola-shooting-today-3-people-killed-shooter-dead-at-florida-navy-base-nas-pensacola-2019-12-06/

I don't know if anyone was following this or not. What I thought very odd was the fact that the local sheriff's are the ones that took care of the situation. A military base with armed MP's on duty and the sheriff deputys handled it?? 

Edited by Dirtshooter

Good question. I’m just guessing here, but it sounds like the Base Police may have “Locked down” and they waited to breech the building. But that’s just a wild azz guess. It could have been the Deputies were right outside the gates, or even at the gates for some reason, when the call went out and were some of the first on the scene.

I also suspect that it will turn out that a foreign national that wasn’t authorized walked or drove onto a U.S. military base unchecked. I don’t believe he could have been living in Pensacola for 10 months and then authorized to go to training. Of course, I could be wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/us/nas-pensacola-shooting-shooter-victims.html

The gunman, identified as Second Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, was killed by a sheriff’s deputy who responded to the attack. Lieutenant Alshamrani was training to become a pilot and initially entered the United States in 2018, according to a senior American official who has been briefed on the investigation’s initial stages. But at some point Lieutenant Alshamrani returned to Saudi Arabia and then re-entered the United States in February 2019, the official said.

The lieutenant did not report for his training program at the naval air station in Pensacola until about two days before the shooting, the official said.

It was unclear what Lieutenant Alshamrani was doing in the United States between February and when he reported for training, but he was apparently living in the Pensacola area for much of that period, the official said.

Just thinking how lucky that this joker didn't use an aircraft to do more evil deeds. Not sure what aircraft he was training with but lots of targets of opportunity that a Kamikazi even without bombs and missles could do. Isn't there a Nuclear plant within range of there?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Just thinking how lucky that this joker didn't use an aircraft to do more evil deeds. Not sure what aircraft he was training with but lots of targets of opportunity that a Kamikazi even without bombs and missles could do. Isn't there a Nuclear plant within range of there?

They’re not allowed to fly our aircraft with any armaments. They. Outdoor fly it into something but that’s about it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Defies common sense doesn’t it. But whoever suggests stopping it will be labeled a racist; watch and see.

You're tight about that.  I guess its oil and money that keeps us "friends", but like someone said above, we are not really friends.  The saudi kingdom/government made a deal with the devil (the Muslim radicals) to stay in control.  They train and educate extremism and then export it.  If we need oil and dont have enough here, then just go to war and take it, for crying out loud, stop pretending that they are friends. But Ive read that between whats under the continental US and Alaska's north slope, there's plenty.

• Moderators

A friend of mine elsewhere had this to say about our relationship with KSA, and I think he’s got a pretty strong point. 

So, i had my standard rant about how our relationship with Saudi Arabia only exists because of how badly we ####ed up with Iran, how they're not allies, how they fund and/or radicalized every group of assholes we are pitted against across the globe when i realized something...

What if THAT'S why we're friends with them? Saudi Arabia, at this point, is basically keeping the DOD employed and the reason why we have adversaries across the planet, thus keeping the wheels of the MIC churning.

I've honestly never really considered it... And it's pretty depressing to think about.”

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Defender said:

But Ive read that between whats under the continental US and Alaska's north slope, there's plenty.

That is a fact, also most don't know offshore Kalifornia has lots of oil, but you know they don't want US drilling on their turf!!

7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

After 9'11, why in hell are we training Saudis to fly airplanes??!!??

That is a very good question Greg that I would like someone in the gubbermint to answer. Sort of like Hussein Obama giving Iran all the millions of $$$, I guess to fund their fight with U.S.? I hope sometime soon, somebody gets the drift that the terrorist's don't like U.S.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2019 at 11:56 AM, gregintenn said:

After 9'11, why in hell are we training Saudis to fly airplanes??!!??

Because we want the Saudi Air Force to be able to fight Iranian proxies for us.  They're flying sorties over Yemen on the regular against the Houthi's.  We're giving them just enough training to do the dirty work, they would never be able to handle any kind of action against us or the Israel.  Plus, if we ever pull our maintenance support, they'll be grounded right quick, so the risk is minimized.

56 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I guess that instructor is lucky to be alive now that we know the murderer was not mentally stable enough to be in the military, any military, let alone anywhere near a fighter aircraft.

But somehow this will probably be the fault of that instructor and Trump. I doubt the people that vetted this whack job (if anyone did) will take any responsibility.

14 minutes ago, i1afli said:

Media is talking about a “loophole” in the gun laws that allowed this non-citizen to legally purchase a firearm, but they aren’t actually explaining it (no surprise). Is this true? What are they talking about?

The loophole is the US giving these foreign students full rights to purchase a gun as if they are foreign diplomats. 

7 minutes ago, i1afli said:

Media is talking about a “loophole” in the gun laws that allowed this non-citizen to legally purchase a firearm, but they aren’t actually explaining it (no surprise). Is this true? What are they talking about?

I heard them saying on the news last night that be could buy because he had some kind of “special” diplomatic status or something.

Of course once you have made up your mind to murder a bunch a people, laws don’t matter, so all you need is money; in any state

Michael Knight, a U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives spokesman, declined to specify the exemption Monday, but said officials likely will provide more information in the coming days.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/12/09/how-did-the-pensacola-gunman-get-the-pistol-he-used-to-kill-3-sailors/

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I heard them saying on the news last night that be could buy because he had some kind of “special” diplomatic status or something.

Of course once you have made up your mind to murder a bunch a people, laws don’t matter, so all you need is money; in any state

Thanks for the info.

And I agree 100% with that last statement as we all know that gun laws don’t stop those intent on murder.

I am still amazed that the sheriff's department had to take care of this situation. I would think the MP's who should be much more familiar with the layout of the base would have been the first responders. It would be similar to me waiting 45 minutes for the sheriff to arrive at my house in the middle of the night for a home invasion. I think I know my home layout better and can handle it much quicker.

This whole thing, to me sounds like what we in the Army used to call a " cluster f---). How in the heck is a foreign national allowed to legally purchase a gun? As a Retired Army guy, with a military ID, I have to go thru ID checks at Ft. Campbell, CANNOT carry a gun on base, for any reason. We need to hire someone besides the fox to guard the hen house. This starts at D.C. & filters on down.

37 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I am still amazed that the sheriff's department had to take care of this situation. I would think the MP's who should be much more familiar with the layout of the base would have been the first responders. It would be similar to me waiting 45 minutes for the sheriff to arrive at my house in the middle of the night for a home invasion. I think I know my home layout better and can handle it much quicker.

You'd think but.....

"One pilot called base security at NAS Pensacola and other Navy bases “mall cops,” because protection on the base has been outsourced to private security and many were “fat and out of shape.”

“I have zero confidence the guy I show my ID card to at the gate could save me,” one pilot added. Fox News spoke to three Navy instructor pilots Tuesday."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nas-pensacola-shooting-navy-instructor-pilots-arm-us

3 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

This whole thing, to me sounds like what we in the Army used to call a " cluster f---). How in the heck is a foreign national allowed to legally purchase a gun? As a Retired Army guy, with a military ID, I have to go thru ID checks at Ft. Campbell, CANNOT carry a gun on base, for any reason. We need to hire someone besides the fox to guard the hen house. This starts at D.C. & filters on down.

Getting a gun on post is way too easy, though you do run the risk of being the random vehicle to get searched.  And, if going to the range, it is actually allowed.  Personally, I wish they would allow normal ccw on post, and storage in your vehicle if the building you happen to need to go in is posted, just like off post.  As it is, you are disarmed the moment you head there, which is every weekday for me.

• Like 1