ShootrMgavn

ad closed WTB my first revolver. No preference so feel free to show what you have!

Hey folks. I have a modest collection of semiautos and long guns, but no revolvers. I'm embarrassed to say, but I've never even shot one in almost a decade of gun ownership!

I was hoping someone here may have a decent, reliable revolver that would make a good first for me. No preferences really, other than my handgun use is primarily for carry so I'd like to (theoretically) be able to carry it, and I'm not interested in .22s at the moment.   

Will consider all prices, makes, age, etc, as long as it'll shoot every time I press the trigger. Thanks folks!

Edited to exclude .22s. 

Edited by ShootrMgavn
Ad closed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShootrMgavn said:

Nobody has a sweet wheel gun that needs a new home?

Yes, but not that would make a good carry gun. You really need a J-Frame for that. Of course a J-Frame won't make a good range gun. That's why most of us have so many guns....they are application driven. :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Patton said:

What specifically are you looking for? 

I honestly dont know enough about revolvers to even have much preference. I guess I'm also in the market for advice on good options for carry. 

8 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Yes, but not that would make a good carry gun. You really need a J-Frame for that. Of course a J-Frame won't make a good range gun. That's why most of us have so many guns....they are application driven. :)

Very true. Guess I should be in the market for at least 2 to start out with 😉

It is difficult to just throw a recommendation out there for you.  If I weren’t so far away I would meet you and let you try out some of mine.  Most people, with the exception of hardcore gun guys, do not want to carry anything larger than a 2-3” 23oz revolver. A five or six shot  38spl is plenty for most civilians.

There is a reason the five shot j frame is the most sold revolver over the last 50 years.  For many of us they are just the perfect edc pocket companion.  I have a 10.5 oz S&W 342 that you would honestly forget you were carrying.  My 15oz 442 has been my carry gun for over three years. I have recently warmed up to the new Colt Cobras and may incorporate one of them into my carry rotation in the months to come.  Since I am a LEO I have to qualify on all that I carry so it takes planning to change my carry.  

I carried a 3” 7 shot 686 for a year and it was really too much. I have some 2.5” and 3” k frames that are great shooters but not much smaller than the 686. 

I could offer up a 2017 Colt Cobra, in very good condition, for $500. I picked up a different version of the Cobra is the only reason to part with the 2017 edition.

I also have a 3” S&W model 60 in 357 I have thought about parting with.

• Like 1

If its primarily for range use, but occasional carry, I'd suggest a medium frame size with a 2-4" barrel.   It'll be much better shooter and recoil won't be near as bad. With a good holster, they are very easy to carry and conceal.  The small framed guns are really for more experienced shooters. They can be quite a handful. 

May I suggest a S&W Model 10 .38 Special?  Excellent guns, easy to shoot and totally reliable.  S&W has made millions of them. They're everywhere and usually fairly cheap. Good used ones should be easy to find at your LGS or on-line. 

Sorry, but I'm not parting with any of mine.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it were my first and I already had a carry semi, a K frame S&W in .38 would be my first choice. As @Grayfox54 said, there are millions of them, so they can be had relatively cheap if you watch. These are 4 inch barrels on most of them. They can be cc'd, but are a lot heavier than some of the smaller frame guns. Even the S&W Model of 1903 or 1905 .38s that are from the 20's (like a couple I have) are still 100% reliable as they creep towards 100 years old.

If prettiness is not an issue, some of these old revolvers that have worn gluing or nickle can be a great deal. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great feedback, folks! Lots to think about and research. 

18 hours ago, Patton said:

It is difficult to just throw a recommendation out there for you.  If I weren’t so far away I would meet you and let you try out some of mine.  Most people, with the exception of hardcore gun guys, do not want to carry anything larger than a 2-3” 23oz revolver. A five or six shot  38spl is plenty for most civilians.

There is a reason the five shot j frame is the most sold revolver over the last 50 years.  For many of us they are just the perfect edc pocket companion.  I have a 10.5 oz S&W 342 that you would honestly forget you were carrying.  My 15oz 442 has been my carry gun for over three years. I have recently warmed up to the new Colt Cobras and may incorporate one of them into my carry rotation in the months to come.  Since I am a LEO I have to qualify on all that I carry so it takes planning to change my carry.  

I carried a 3” 7 shot 686 for a year and it was really too much. I have some 2.5” and 3” k frames that are great shooters but not much smaller than the 686. 

I could offer up a 2017 Colt Cobra, in very good condition, for $500. I picked up a different version of the Cobra is the only reason to part with the 2017 edition.

I also have a 3” S&W model 60 in 357 I have thought about parting with.

Patton, I'll send a DM regarding the Colt. 

Thanks again for all the feedback, folks! After doing a bunch of research, the spirit moved me last night, and I bought a new 686 4", lol. Shot about 75 rounds real quickly, and it is sweet. Glad I took the advice not to go too small for my intro to revolvers! I'm sure I'll be looking to add to the collection soon, so keep an eye out for me! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShootrMgavn said:

Thanks again for all the feedback, folks! After doing a bunch of research, the spirit moved me last night, and I bought a new 686 4", lol. Shot about 75 rounds real quickly, and it is sweet. Glad I took the advice not to go too small for my intro to revolvers! I'm sure I'll be looking to add to the collection soon, so keep an eye out for me! 

Great choice for home defense. Of course now you will shoot a 6” somewhere and find you can tighten those groups up just a little and you will need it. I’m now trying to find a 6” “Post lock” so I can put a scope on it.

Then you will decide both of those are too big for carry, but you would like to carry a revolver, and you would like to try a J-frame.

It never stops.

• Thanks 1