PLANS

pop pop

I need to get my SW 629 out and shoot some 44 spl in it to see how it shoots. I have always used the 44 Mag ammo in it. My arthritic hands and wrist does not fair well when using the full blown magnum ammo in that revolver.

I gave my 15 year old grandson his choice of my handguns as I am thinning my collection. I want my grandchildren to have my guns, and my wife said I needed to give them away before my time here is finished. I decided she is right. Also they are changing laws to the point one may not be able to give them away without a lot of red tape in it, in the future. Most of my grandchildren are too young so I am giving them to their fathers for the grandchildren to have when they mature and are of age to own them.   

To my surprise, my grandson took my SW mdl 681, 38/357 magnum which I used for my bedside gun. So I replaced it with my 629, but the magnum ammo is too stout for firing inside our home, if I were ever forced into shooting to protect us. A friend suggested to try the 44 spl which I have very little experience with. I have fired 6 rounds just to see how the 44 Spl ammo recoiled and it was doable.  Much more milder in the recoil department. So the 44 is my new bedside revolver for now.  

I have been working on my back yard firing range and got it in good shape. Now, I just need the weather to cooperate a little and for me to get over this Bronchitis I have been experiencing for the last 3 weeks. Have been through a full regiment of antibiotics and it is still hanging on.

Got out Saturday and spent the day chasing down a Horse Trailer, for my first born daughter, and we finally purchased it and brought it home from Louisburg TN. My son in law is repacking the wheel bearings and doing a general clean up on the trailer before she takes it to the horse barn. She needed her dads truck to retrieve it from the previous owner and I kinda took a "backset" from exposing myself to the cold windy day. Have spent 2 days of aggravated coughing. Feel a little better this morning, but staying in out of the fierce winds this morning. Really gusting here.  

Edited to add; I also need to sight in my new 308 and 7mm08 I purchased at Bass Pro during their Black Friday sale this year. I think I am going to really like the Savage Axis XP rifles with the Weaver 3 x 9 x 40 scopes already  mounted on them. They were a bargin at 170.00 each after 75.00 rebates, from Savage, on each rifle. I let my youngest grandson write his name on the 7mm08 box and told him it was his when I don't have need of it any longer.

Oh well, future plans of mice and men, you know? What are you doing today?

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t want a 44 for a Bed Side gun, for all the obvious reasons. Don’t you have a 4” revolver in .38 or .357? Unless you have an attachment to that 29; I would try to do some trading and end up with a 4” K or L frame .357.

Man, I wish I had a shooting range in the backyard; good for you.

34 minutes ago, 1796 said:

I think the .44 special is actually a good home defense round. While I prefer semi-autos for defensive purposes, if I was going to use a revolver for that purpose and did not want .357 mag power, I would go with the .44 special over .38 special.

Isn't .44spl pretty close to .357mag in terms of energy?

I wouldn't be surprised to see less penetration from the larger diameter bullet, but it should make a bigger permanent wound channel and work at lower pressures.