92X Performance range report

ken_mays

I visited the range and put about 250 rounds through the 92X Performance.

The trigger measures about 6.5# in DA and 3.3 # in SA.   Weight of the gun without a magazine is 2 lbs, 13 oz.

The reliability was perfect with both included magazines.   I was shooting reloads, 115gr Brazos coated LRN atop 4.6gr Titegroup.   Accuracy of this load in this gun was mediocre, about 2" at 15 yards.   I didn't have any other ammo with me to test with.  I don't know if they had any special accuracy requirements for this gun; I did detect slight movement of the muzzle when the barrel is in battery, so that's not great.

Shooting impressions:  Sights provided a good picture.  I'm going to nitpick the front fiber sight a bit and say that the fiber was placed higher than I like.  I'm used to Dawsons, which are easier to align vertically.  I found myself looking for the top of the black front sight to get alignment for precise shots, only to find glowing dot there.  So I'll probably replace that.   The rear sight was easy to adjust, I had to dial it a few clicks up and over to get my hits where I wanted.

I disliked the "gas pedal" style takedown lever.   It's only large enough to get maybe half the tip of my thumb onto it, and the edges and corner are far too sharp for comfort.  I'm going to look into swapping it out for a standard 92 part.  I shot most of the time with my thumb underneath it.

I also wasn't fond of the slide stop's angled tab.  Its proximity to the safety lever and its downward rake of the tab meant it was more difficult to find and hit than it should have been.  I'm not really sure why they didn't use a standard 92 part; maybe they were worried that people who ride the safety would accidentally hold it down with the tip of their thumb.

The thumb safety was OK: it had a good tension on and off, and the extended "shelf" was easily reached by the thumb, although I would have preferred it to extend further back.  Beretta says they will offer 3 different sizes of safety lever, but I haven't been able to find out what they look like yet.

The safety did make slide manipulation a bit more of a challenge than I'm used to on 92s.  Between the location of the serrations (low on the slide) and the prominent safety levers, it makes grabbing the "sweet spot" more of a challenge -- if you grab too low, your fingers will be blocked by the safety.   I'm glad they included forward serrations, they're probably going to see a lot of use on this gun.

The frame serrations were a bit of a help, but not what I'd call sharp enough to be really useful, and the slick nickel/tin finish wasn't helpful here.  I would skateboard tape over the frontstrap if I were going to do much competing with it... not that such a heavy gun is all that hard to hang onto in 9mm, but I like my grip to be locked in.

The built-in mag funnel was well done.  No lanyard loop, and it looks like you can get to the mainspring housing pin without taking the grips off. I thought the beavertail might prove to be a problem due to its sharp corners, but that was pretty much a non-issue.

92x-01_jpg-1175871.jpg

92x-02_jpg-1175872.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently introduced by the Italian gunmaker, the 92X series is a wholly American concept, produced at their Gallatin, Tennessee plant.

I don’t see a Gallatin roll mark in your photos, is there one?

That look sweet. I could deal with that for my Gallatin marked gun.

3 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Says Made in Italy on the left side or is that now more of a "designed" in Italy designation.  I am not up on Beretta's or how they mark things.  Is a sharp gun.

This is in a story at guns.com...

Recently introduced by the Italian gunmaker, the 92X series is a wholly American concept, produced at their Gallatin, Tennessee plant. 

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/10/01/beretta-carry-update-a-look-at-the-new-92x-compact

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Well, isn’t that interesting, and inconsistent. 

Exactly, unless some of the first ones were made in Italy. But that doesn’t make sense either if they are a wholly American concept. “What a great idea! We just don’t trust you to make the first ones in your plant.” :slap:

6 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I would say the difference is simply due to the "performance" series above vs. the more general series discussed in the article.

It appears you are correct.

As for availability, Beretta tells Guns.com that the four Bruniton-finished (black) 92X models are in stock and will begin shipping to dealers this week while the Nistan-finished 92X Performance is expected to be available in October. Of note, the Performace is produced in Italy while the rest of the 92X series is all-American made in Beretta’s Gallatin, Tennessee facility.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/07/25/beretta-expands-92x-series-with-four-new-pistols

So what that other story should have said was...

Recently introduced by the Italian gunmaker, the 92X series is a wholly American concept, produced at their Gallatin, Tennessee plant. Except for the really good stuff that we don’t trust those Hillbillies to make.

I was trying to be nice and buy a gun from a foreign manufacturer that was building a manufacturing facility here. Now I hope they choke on their linguine.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

It appears you are correct.

So what that other story should have said was...

Recently introduced by the Italian gunmaker, the 92X series is a wholly American concept, produced at their Gallatin, Tennessee plant. Except for the really good stuff that we don’t trust those Hillbillies to make.

Well, if they would pay the hillbillies more that $11/hr, they MIGHT find and keep quality help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Well, if they would pay the hillbillies more that $11/hr, they MIGHT find and keep quality help.

Average Beretta USA Corporation hourly pay ranges from approximately $11.52 per hour for Assembler to $25.29 per hour for Technician. The average Beretta USA Corporation salary ranges from approximately $30,000 per year for Machine Operator to $82,130 per year for Manufacturing Manager.

I would say they are in line with about every other manufacturer in the area; wouldn't you? 

16 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I think for safeties sake they would want to pay more and get better help...but then again us Americans are cheap bastards and no one is paying retail these days....least no one I know.

:confused: I pay retail. I pay it at Buds, Grab a Gun or wherever. Beretta gets the same amount whether I order it online or pay an extra $100 or 2 at an LGS. So, I don’t see how that would impact wages. Money games are played by the Distributors that add cost, but no value, to the end user. Some day that will change and we will be able to buy locally at pretty much the same price we can order online.

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

:confused: I pay retail. I pay it at Buds, Grab a Gun or wherever. Beretta gets the same amount whether I order it online or pay an extra $100 or 2 at an LGS. So, I don’t see how that would impact wages. Money games are played by the Distributors that add cost, but no value, to the end user. Some day that will change and we will be able to buy locally at pretty much the same price we can order online.

Dang!  I don't buy anything that isn't used or on sale!!!  Maybe that goes back to me being a used car salesman but I know all my other friends are the same way...if ain't a deal I ain't buying! lol.  Glad your stimulating the economy though!

Thanks for the review Ken. Its good to get some thoughts that don't come from the main review sites.

I had a couple questions as I have a few Beretta's and was considering one.

Had you used Vertec frames in the past and liked them? What did you think of the trigger feel and reset and have you had a chance to play with it's adjustments?

Have you tried the Langdon Optimized trigger bar in any of your other 92's? 

Myself I've was not too fond of the Vertec as I was getting some beavertail bite and it was a hair smallish. Probably should have tried it longer, but after so many miles on the standard grip....

I love the Langdon trigger bar even with its quirk of rubbing the right grip. Its pretty much transformative. Unbelievably so. Am curious how their advertised 40% reduction equates and any other tricks they may have thrown in which may effect trigger feel.

I have owned a couple other Vertecs in the past and actually prefer them over the standard arched frame.    I thought the beavertail here might be more of an issue than it turned out to be; if you have large, beefy hands and like to ride the safety, you may have a problem with it.

I think the trigger is ideal the way it's currently set up.  I'm not very finicky about pre- and post-travel so I don't foresee ever twiddling those screws. 

I haven't used the Langdon trigger bar; I imagine they changed the contact point against the hammer so as to provide more leverage, or something.   Generally I add "D" springs to my Berettas and that gets them into the acceptable range for me.

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to hear it was good for you out of the box.

I am glad to see Beretta keeping life in the 92 series. And even after all this time, that new items come to to the aftermarket for them.

The LTT bar adds some material to the trigger stop and it effects range. All of which I found postive. Having played with all the standard mods over the years, its the first one that I thought, wow. For a $70 part, I'd recommend any Beretta fan to try it at some point.

There was a vid out there showing reset, and in trying to find that I ran across a new one where a comparison to the performance S trigger (they appear to offer that as an upgrade part now) was done. Thought you may find interesting. It too shows the effective reset so you can see if its something that appeals to you.