It's snowing

DaveTN

I remember when we had a couple of inches one time and everyone at work was getting ready to leave because there was a snow storm. One of the guys asked me “How do people up North drive in this all the time??”. I told him; “There are speeds between STOP and 70 MPH.” :)

The other thing some fail to grasp… Driving on snow is really not that hard. Driving on ICE is hard for anyone. 

• Like 7
43 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The other thing some fail to grasp… Driving on snow is really not that hard. Driving on ICE is hard for anyone. 

Actually, driving on ice is impossible...without studs. I grew up in south IN, spent +30yrs living in CO, so I know snow. Still have memories of jeeps and other 4WDs up-ended off-shoulder by the freeways in banks of snow when they thought "ah, it's only a bit o'ice". 

17 minutes ago, Mamba said:

Actually, driving on ice is impossible...without studs. I grew up in south IN, spent +30yrs living in CO, so I know snow. Still have memories of jeeps and other 4WDs up-ended off-shoulder by the freeways in banks of snow when they thought "ah, it's only a bit o'ice". 

Studded tires are so 1960’s; no one does that anymore. :)

You can drive on ice. I did it for years in Illinois every day there was ice. A couple of years ago we had ice for a week here. I live in Murfreesboro and worked in Shelbyville. I kept driving every day because I figured if it got bad enough, I wouldn’t be able to go. I didn’t miss any days while some that lived in town called in.

It's like anything; you just have to approach the problem with some common sense.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Studded tires are so 1960’s; no one does that anymore. :)

They still do in CO, especially at elevation....maybe not in TN. 

".. you just have to approach the problem with some common sense."
Now that may date to the '60s.  😉

From some of the news clips I've seen over the past few years, people in the snow belts are not any better at driving on/in snow than here in TN, even tho they've had lots more practice.  😉

I learned how to drive in the snow while I had my learners permit back in early '71, family was going to Callaway Gardens for spring break, it snowed the night before we left, and dad figured I might as well learn "how" to drive in snow, on a 2 lane North Carolina mountain road.  Worst trip of my life, also the quietest as NOBODY said a word until we got down into GA and out of the snow.   

• Like 1

I did too in 1973.  I was stationed in upstate NY for my first military assignment.  Drove a Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible for two winters up there, lol.  Never really got stuck or had an accident and there was LOTS of snow.  Of course, I say never got stuck, but there were days when I couldn't drive to do being snowplowed in, lol.  Then lived in Europe in colder climes, and also in Greenland well above the arctic circle and then in Michigan's upper peninsula, before going to Europe again.  Well Miami was squeezed in there, but no snow there.  Anyway, like someone said earlier, patience, taking your time, and reasonable speeds will help a lot in bad weather.  Up north, when I was there, the snow seemed easier to drive in than here.  Im thinking that is cuz round here the roads usually have a sheet of ice underneath the snow.  I know that ive had as much difficulty driving in the little we get here as I did in the bunch we got up there.up there.  Up there the big deal was digging your car out in the first place.  Once you did that, the roads were usually plowed and if you exercised caution you could get from point a to b.  Michigans UP seemed to get almost as much snow in the same period as we did in Greenland, what with the normal winter snow and the lake effect snow from being between two Great Lakes!

1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

From some of the news clips I've seen over the past few years, people in the snow belts are not any better at driving on/in snow than here in TN, even tho they've had lots more practice.  😉

I learned how to drive in the snow while I had my learners permit back in early '71, family was going to Callaway Gardens for spring break, it snowed the night before we left, and dad figured I might as well learn "how" to drive in snow, on a 2 lane North Carolina mountain road.  Worst trip of my life, also the quietest as NOBODY said a word until we got down into GA and out of the snow.   

I'm reminded of that old joke: I'd rather die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, than screaming like the passengers in his car.

• Like 1

When I was 16 we were still living in Illinois and it was January and the night before I was to go  get my drivers license we got 4 inches of new snow so I called to drivers testing center to see if they were open and the guy that answered the phone said yes they were doing testing to get your license and I said what about the snow and he said son, if you live here and you can't drive in snow you don't deserve a license. My dad took me and I got my license that day in the snow.

On the Ice situation back in the early 80's I had a Dodge Ramcharger with posi tract front and rear and driving on snow with monster mudders with studs was not an issue when it came to going. Stopping on ice was a whole different issue. I could not stop any better than anyone else.!!!!

• Like 1

I learned to drive in a 71 maverick, 3 on the tree in Spokane Washington (well actually Fairchild AFB) in the late 70’s. I knew nothing about driving in the ice and snow. Drove to Spokane and was returning, pulled into the left turn lane to go to the base and downshifted (bad mistake) that sucker spun like a top, ended up in the middle of the Marian with the tail end hanging into oncoming traffic with a big a$$ station wagon, and right behind him was a freaking semi. The car went around the front of the car, the truck went around the rear, both missing me by inches. I put that sucker in 1st gear and powered my way out of the median and got to the base. I spend the next 3 weeks on the parade field at night learning how to control it in any weather conditions. SP’s only bothered me a couple of times thinking I was playing or goofing off but once I explained what I was doing they were good. Next time I ventured off base I knew what I was doing. 

• Like 2

Has it all melted yet?

We're getting a couple more inches here today. Normally that much snow isn't really big a big deal but it's been cold enough that the ice melt they put on the roads is less effective, so the roads are staying more icy and slushy than usual.