New to Me .22LR McRees Savage

graycrait

@TomInMN , My complete with paper, box, sights Kimber 82G w/Mueller 40x. The Kimber can shoot with its 6oz trigger and other tweaks.  My trade partner needs a rifle that he can use in the new ARA benchrest factory class.  My wife has taken to loving shooting "her" Savage heavy barrel 7.62x39 (barrelled action built by Dolomite Supafly) so I thought a Savage .22LR bolt gun was in order for her. Pic below is my 62yr old wife working out the kinks first time firing a centerfire rifle.

xW1inyO.jpg?1

• Like 4

I am not sure he will be able to use the 82G in ARA Factory class yet.  Some discussions still ongoing about what will make it.  Sticking point right now is the term "currently in production".  40x's, 52's, etc won't be allowed in factory class.   

I think ultimately they will probably let the 82 in.  It's not in the same league as a 40x or 52.  

@Hozzie , That would be too bad if the "old" trainers are left out like the 82G or the H&R, although I suppose the Mossberg 44US would be allowed. Heck, maybe they should just open up that factory class to all legitimate military trainers and factory production rifles under the dollar limit.  If there is a date of manufacture limit then it would be a really odd class, leaving what, CZ's?  Big jump from CZ to Vudoo, Cooper  or Annies and the latter 3 wouldn't make the price cut. 

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1

I think the background and reasoning for this class in ARA specifically are not quite understood by most who have never shot ARA.  ARA, PSL, and IR50/50 are all similar in that they are top associations with the best rimfire BR shooters in the country.  It is intimidating to most who are not fully into it and two things happen when a new person goes to an ARA match. 

1) They realize that the level (and therefore cost) of equipment is very high.  It's nothing for most regular shooters to have at least 2 custom guns and all of the extra equipment to go with it running easily in the $6-$10k range for everything.  This of course is nothing many want to or can do so they simply don't try it.  It can absolutely be done cheaper, but many think it is an all or none scenario.  It's a big leap for someone who even has the money to do it.  This factory class is a way to get new shooters to try it and hopefully stick with it for a while and then decide if they want to work their way up.

2) For those that are willing to try, most completely underestimate how difficult this game is.  They think they have a tack driver gun and are going to "compete".  They quickly realize that regardless of how good of a gun they have, they typically score poorly to start and many give up before they even give it a chance.  It's simply a fact that to score well, you need to shoot many times and start to learn HOW to shoot BR.  One needs wind flags, a good rest, and PRACTICE.  It takes the average BR Shooter 2-3 years to really understand how to Shoot Rimfire BR.   Luckily for those that do stick around, they realize it is one of the best groups of people you will meet.  Many come back for the people they meet as much as shooting.

What does happen to those that stick around and start to understand the game is that they realize it's not about competing with the top guys at first, its about competing with yourself regardless of what gun or experience you have.  When I ran some matches near me, we had guys showing up and shooting with all kinds of guns.  Many came back and enjoyed shooting because they simply wanted to beat themselves.  Others didn't because they couldn't accept shooting a 1300 when true BR guys were shooting 2200 or more.  

So back to Factory Class.  Factory class is designed simply as an "entry level" for guys with lower cost factory guns to get their feet wet and "feel" like they are competing against similar guns.   The challenge and reason most of the older factory rifles like the 40x's and 52's aren't included in the ARA Factory class is that on the right day in the right hands, they are capable of competing with a custom gun.  They won't win often, but they can consistently shoot 1800-2200 on the current ARA Target.  With the new "Factory" ARA target, even those guns would not be a fair competition.  

At some point, they would like to add a "vintage" class for these guns, but it will use the current ARA target, not the new factory target.

As you can probably tell, I am quite into ARA and know most everyone in the game.  I actually run the Rimfire Accuracy forum, so if you have any questions about ARA, just let me know.  I would love to find another range in the Middle TN area to run matches.  If you know of a range that may be interested in hosting matches, let me know.  I am glad to help run them.  I have all of the scoring software already.

A couple of my customs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is from the Triple Crown in Bristol.  Next year it will be 9 days of shooting.

spacer.png

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Hozzie said:

It will fall under unlimited.  MSRP is higher than $1000.   There won’t be any Anschutz that would be accepted in Factory class.  

Pretty much what I figured, so I can keep my tuner and front rider plate then.  

• Like 1

Wow. I love learning about things I was clueless about. That is some serious kit that you folks are into.

I don't think I could ever get something that serious as it would take away all my usual excuses.

Edited by Erich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1