Kentucky Following Virginia???

You don't need to go to KY; they are going to try it here.

We have gained a lot in the last few years, but If the Democrats gain control; we could quickly lose it.

Democratic legislators from multiple states rally at Tennessee Capitol for stricter gun laws in wake of Dayton, El Paso shootings

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/politics/state/story/2019/aug/07/lawmakers-many-states-rally-steps-tennessee-capitol-call-leaders-act-quickly-against-gun-violence/500697/

• Angry 1

The main thing I worry about in the Tenn. Gen. Assembly anytime soon are the stupid "red flag" bills. There is a Republican state Senator from Nashville named Steve Dickerson who tried to push them last session but got nowhere. While we should never count on having a firearms-friendly state government forever, my complaint about them right now is that they are too scared to go for constitutional carry.

5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

In your opinion are people better off with the due process of the laws we have now?

Probably, primarily because the seize-first aspect of red flag laws is the most serious problem. Now, I'm not saying I'm satisfied with the current laws, just that red flag laws seem worse. It should be extraordinarily difficult to restrict constitutionally protected rights, and in this case, both the second and fourth amendments are potentially being restricted without a crime having been committed by the subject of the seizure. 

• Like 3

Man, I thought everyone in the surrounding states were good ole boys. Guess not. Disheartening to see libtard governors taking strongholds. Sadly we need to realize that the Republican offerings are poor and they need to evolve if we want to preserve freedoms.

Add Washington state to the list. AG put up a number of bills has he has in past years, but first time the gov is backing them. They hare using the CA playbook. Bans on guns, nags, and ammo. 

8 hours ago, 1796 said:

Probably, primarily because the seize-first aspect of red flag laws is the most serious problem. Now, I'm not saying I'm satisfied with the current laws, just that red flag laws seem worse. It should be extraordinarily difficult to restrict constitutionally protected rights, and in this case, both the second and fourth amendments are potentially being restricted without a crime having been committed by the subject of the seizure. 

What do you think would happen in Knoxville if a family member called the police, said you were threatening them with violence, you have guns, and they didn’t want them in the house anymore? I guess since in Knoxville they don’t have a “Seize first” policy and they are concerned with your constitutionally protected rights, they would just leave your guns in the house, and explain to that family member that you have rights. But if they didn’t, when do you think you would get those guns back?

Also, remind me which part of the constitution protects you from unreasonable search and seizure (having your guns taken by the Police) or protects your gun rights when someone has accused you of a crime.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

What do you think would happen in Knoxville if a family member called the police, said you were threatening them with violence, you have guns, and they didn’t want them in the house anymore? I guess since in Knoxville they don’t have a “Seize first” policy and they are concerned with your constitutionally protected rights, they would just leave your guns in the house, and explain to that family member that you have rights. But if they didn’t, when do you think you would get those guns back?

Also, remind me which part of the constitution protects you from unreasonable search and seizure (having your guns taken by the Police) or protects your gun rights when someone has accused you of a crime.

The fourth amendment

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Just because you wear a badge and exclaim someone said some stuff doesn't give you the right to come into my home and do as you please. Law or no law I have my threshold for stupidity. The bigger question is why you keep company with trash bag family members who would be giant vaginas and call the police in the first place.

Luckily I've dealt with local law enforcement on several occasions and have never had an issue. 

50 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Just because you wear a badge and exclaim someone said some stuff doesn't give you the right to come into my home and do as you please. Law or no law I have my threshold for stupidity.

Well its good to know that you believe in Knoxville if someone claims you threatened to use a firearm; the police won’t arrest you and seize that firearm as evidence. But I think we might find that others in Knoxville might disagree with assessment.

The bigger question is why you keep company with trash bag family members who would be giant vaginas and call the police in the first place.

Exactly, as I’ve said before if someone in your family is making false accusations; you have family problems. If someone claims you threatened to shoot them, chances are you will be thrown in jail, and you guns seized. Whatever “due process’ you have in your area will determine if, or when you get your guns back. Do you know what that due process is in your area.

Luckily I've dealt with local law enforcement on several occasions and have never had an issue. 

Oh good. Since you have had issues of you, or someone, being accused of threatening someone with a gun, fill us in on how Knoxville PD handled that situation. Because it sounds like you may have due process already in place that works.

6 hours ago, DaveTN said:

But if they didn’t, when do you think you would get those guns back?

I thought this idea was probably the point you were making, and is why I am not satisfied with the current laws. I am aware of at least one specific case locally that proves your point. My concern is that the proposed red flag laws will expand their ability to conduct the abuses that already occur. I would like to see the removal of individual immunity from police for their violations of constitutional rights, but I suspect that even many of our friends on TGO would not support that idea. 

37 minutes ago, 1796 said:

I thought this idea was probably the point you were making, and is why I am not satisfied with the current laws. I am aware of at least one specific case locally that proves your point. My concern is that the proposed red flag laws will expand their ability to conduct the abuses that already occur. I would like to see the removal of individual immunity from police for their violations of constitutional rights, but I suspect that even many of our friends on TGO would not support that idea. 

As I have said on here many times; I do not care about red flags laws to protect anyone. There are already laws in place (the ones that folks are complaining about) to address that.

What is needed is laws that address “Due Process”. You can put whatever name you want on those laws. “Red Flag” “Due Process” whatever.

Now…if you get charged with a criminal offense, there is a very good probability that your guns will be taken, and you won’t ever see them again. Unless charges are dismissed, or you are acquitted; they will probably either be sold or destroyed. These are situations like aggravated assault or when your bat s%&% crazy wife wants you removed from the house because you have lost control of your family. Those are problems you created and you will need to get a good attorney to help you with that.

But if they are taken as a precaution because claims are being made you are mentally unfit or are a danger; there needs to be black and white rules of what will happen and when it will happen. That’s what I see a Red Flag law doing. If it doesn’t do that; it is unacceptable, and you don’t support it.

But I just think a lot of people think they have protections that they don’t have. But I don’t know that for sure because I wasn’t a Police Officer in this state. But I am absolutely sure it wasn't true where I was.