Any Cord Cutters Here?

analog_kidd

I finally had enough of Comcast charging me $200 for Internets and crappy TV, so we took the plunge and cut the cord. Knocking off the TV part of my service, and just using Internet brought my bill down to $70. We settled on YouTube TV for $50 a month, so that is a total of $120 for both, and a savings of $80 a month.

With the YouTube TV, I get all the channels I ever watch, and I can't really tell much of a difference in quality. We can DVR the shows we like and fast forward thru the commercials.

We are already bought into the Amazon Alexa ecosystem, and already had a FireCube on our main TV. I bought a couple Firesticks for the bedroom and upstairs, when they were on sale for like $25. These work really well for us. They perform well and the video streams to them very well. I did recently install an AC WiFi access point, so I'm sure that helps.

We settled on YouTube TV due to it being one of the few that carry AMC and the Walking Dead. Sounds silly, but it's one of the few shows my wife and I both like, so don't judge. Otherwise, I would probably consider Hulu's Limited commercial plan. I think it is like $10 a month, and you just have to wait a day to watch a show, which we do anyway to be able to skip commercials.

So, anybody else make the cut, or considering to?

Haven't had cable for 3 years.  We work with Verizon unlimited and hotspot off of our phones as needed.  Also get about 40 channels of antenna TV.  It's worked well for us YMMV.  FYI, I have both an aerial antenna and an indoor HD antenna, the indoor one actually pics up more channels. 

• Like 1

I cut the cord 8 months ago, we tried YouTube tv for the free week trail and I didn't like it, than Hulu live for their weekly trail, been on it ever since, they have lots of channels/movies, live news and sporting events along with 50hrs of DVR space. I was paying $45mo but they just increased it to $55 starting this month, pissed me off! but this is still a good value.

I was using Chromecast, my phone to a non smart tv, this set up constantly drained my cell battery, Santa just dropped off a Samsung smart tv with multiple apps programed into the remote including hulu, the smart tv is the way to go!

btw, Samsung gives you access to their free streaming service (100+/- channels), I literary have better channels than DISH for $65 bucks cheaper.  

23 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

btw, Samsung gives you access to their free streaming service (100+/- channels), I literary have better channels than DISH for $65 bucks cheaper.  

I got to look into this. lol Just because I have a smart tv, that doesn't mean I'm smart. Sadly.

Been getting highly PO'd, like most people lately, with Comcast. I think the final straw was this week when the bulk of the Stars channels went into On Demand. Just makes it harder for my wife, and me too, to find what we want.

And when AMC and TMC were dropped out of our package, it just ticked off my wife bad. Since she retired last month; she's been recuperating from a very stressful last couple of years. Has become something of a couch potato. And I'm about at my wits end with all the Hallmark channels. I mean, I like the shows, but a steady, almost non-stop viewing has led me to hide in the office more and more.

I ditched Direct yrs. ago & went to an antenna. Lost a few fav, channels, ESPN mainly, which carries the college football championship games. Direct kept going up like a hot air balloon.

I could go on a rant about ESPN not simul-casting these games, as they do this with others, but I'll skip it, gets my BP up, LOL.

18 minutes ago, hipower said:

I got to look into this. lol Just because I have a smart tv, that doesn't mean I'm smart. Sadly.

Been getting highly PO'd, like most people lately, with Comcast. I think the final straw was this week when the bulk of the Stars channels went into On Demand. Just makes it harder for my wife, and me too, to find what we want.

And when AMC and TMC were dropped out of our package, it just ticked off my wife bad. Since she retired last month; she's been recuperating from a very stressful last couple of years. Has become something of a couch potato. And I'm about at my wits end with all the Hallmark channels. I mean, I like the shows, but a steady, almost non-stop viewing has led me to hide in the office more and more.

Its a fringe benefit of purchasing a Samsung TV to get the extra channels

• Authorized Vendor

Ditched cable I don't know how many years ago. We use the Samsung TV and Firestick to get most everything we ever watch. Truth e told The only thing I watch with any regularity is the Science Channel anyway. And I don't think we've had the TV on for about 3 days anyway.

• Like 2

The straw for me was both Comcast and At&t dropped Bein sports, which is the only network that works with he various motorcycle racing organizations.

A couple years ago we ended up with retaining our At&t fiber internet, pulling out my old OTA HD antennae from 10 years ago, and signing up with Sling TV. Subsidised by a SSD to record the OTA shows. Recently adding a 4k Firestick for no particular reason other than it was on sale for $25. All run thru a last gen Smart TV. Lots of overlaps in functionality, and enough remotes that my wife has no idea what does what.

What I found in that time is, cord cuttings is easiest for those that have just a few or limited requirements, dont particular care about whats on. Meaning they stick to a handful of shows on the major networks and dont use to many premium channels. Like anything, you have to fit a use case for it to really make sense.

If you had a high level Cable package with premiums included, to match that ala cart, you start approaching the same overall expenditure. And truth be told, most of the non cable alternatives do sacrifice a little bit of stability compared to the more developed cable solutions. When our DVR stream is botched (happens from time to time) I get nasty looks from my wife who says she wants to go back to cable if its a show she likes.  The stability is simply a function of living on the bleeding edge of tech. Cord cutting does not have the maturity afforded by Cable solutions have had had 20+ years of sorting out. But it is improving.

Cord cutting has changed quite in just 2 years. So many more players and pricing is starting to increase. The draw you in prices are being ramped up as new services are being offered at higher buy in with the promise of delivering more. The savings margin is still there is you are very simple in your needs. But the delta is closed up a bit.

Its interesting to note, that the major network consolidation and buyouts are having an effect. And its in no small part to them being aware of consumer frustration and cord cutting. Their weapon is pulling contracts or raising prices to the alternative service providers to allow them their content. That is part of the reason the prices are increasing. Or in some cases, loosing content on the cord cutting end.

Case in point, Sling until last month offered NBC OnDemand. Comcast, who owns NBC said...hey....no way, you have to show us the money because peeps are ditching our BS boxes. Sling told them to go take a hike. So now, you no longer see those offered on on their service, and Fox's parent company did the same with them. Sling on the down low removed both from the menu. You pay the same as a result, just lost content for those handful of times the OTA DVR recording is messed up.

Now consider that Disney is trying to buy the world, trying to end around the FCC regs of one company not owning more than one network....ABC and Fox, Marvel....its going to be interesting.

Long way to say....enjoy it while you can. Big Money is not happy about lost profits and is going to make it harder in the future.

• Like 1

We get by very nice with an outside over the air antenna, 50+ channels with around 20 unique and worth watching, at least some of the time. We add Netflix minimal (1 TV and Standard Res) and last year got the Hulu 99 cents a month deal that just ran out and haven't decided if I should cancel since my wife like some of the programing. Just recently added a Roku and still exploring that (no monthly fees if you stay away from the premium stuff). I feed the antenna to a 4 tuner box hooked to my  main computer and use Plex to record and arrange my shows so we can watch what we want when we want an skip commercials. 

• Like 2

Over the air here, since 2012.  AT&T is terrible as I only have DSL service.  Tremendous benefits are that my kids and I play outside way more than we would otherwise.  Downside, wife takes to the phone a bunch since it takes less bandwidth. 

I would love to cut the cord, but don't know where to go or what to replace it with. One guy told me he uses one of those digital antennas like I have on my RV. Another said he gets 50 channels. I cant get that kind of reception where I Live on my RV TV. I do like the local channels and the hunting channels. My bill is 169.00 per month. Can't believe I am paying that kind of money for really nothing worth watching but 3 or 4 channels. 

Rip off, RIP OFF!!!

• Wow 1

Almost $300 a month for hi speed internet, a phone we do not use and tv. As long as you have a hi speed internet connection with them, Xfinity is available to stream for free on almost, if not all Roku boxes. So have a Roku hooked up in my office, in my guess bedroom and a TCL 50 inch Roku TV in the garage/man cave. All you do is plug the tv in and connect it to wifi. Get all the channels and save on an average of 10 bux a box you can give them back. Plus hook up as many Roku systems to the net. They could care less. Incidentally, the TV has all the latest smart stuff and was $250 delivered from Amazon. Love it. (You can watch your recorded stuff so you must keep their xfinity dvr)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JK98NNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by BHunted

For those of you on the fence, wondering if you should cut the cord, or how to go about it, I would say take each of the services for a test drive and see if it works for you. All of them give you a free week just to kick the tires. All you need is some sort of streaming device, either a Roku or an Amazon FireStick, or a smart TV with one of the apps already built in. The Roku's and FireSticks are on sale now and can be picked up for around $25.

Once you have a streaming device, try out each of Hulu, YouTubeTV, Sling, ATT, Fubo. See if you like the interface and if you could see yourself using it instead of the cable box. It took us a minute to get used to it, but its second nature now. Don't cancel your cable at this point, just check out the other services. But try to just use the service for the week you are getting the free preview.

Make a list of all the shows you like to watch, and what channel they are on. Then look at each service and see what channels they carry. Cord Cutter News Website has a page that lists all the services and the channels they carry, side by side, so it makes it easy to compare.

Once you have decided which service you like best, go ahead and sign up. None of them have long term commitments like cable does, so if you find you don't like one after a while, it's really easy to switch. Or if you want to binge watch a show that is only on one service, switch to it for a month, then switch back.

The last thing to do, which is the most satisfying, is to call the cable company and drop your service down to just internet. These days, they don't even really try to keep you on. Everyone is doing it and they have resigned themselves to losing customers. I think they half-assed offered us something, but it was just barely better than what we already had. We said no thanks, and they said OK, no problem.

If you want to go hard core and not have any monthly service, but still like the convenience of a cable box with DVR, look at something like Amazon's Fire Recast. It's a little box with a hard drive in it and WiFi. You put it in a place that gets good antenna signal, and then connect it to your home network, and an antenna. Using a FireStick on any TV, it will send the signal across the home network to the FireStick. So you can watch anything your antenna can pick up on any TV, without additional antennas on each TV. PLUS you get DVR. The hard drive in the Recast box will record programs, then you can watch those on any TV with the FireStick. You can even fast forward thru saved shows.

We did antenna only for a while on the upstairs TV. I was too cheap to get another cable box. I tried the Comcast app on the FireStick to use instead of the box, but the app is not ready for prime time, and I had to do all kinds of hacks on the remote to make it work. In the end, it was more work than enjoyment. The antenna was nice for just watching local news and such, But I really wanted cable-only channels and DVR, so a streaming service is what we decided on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

For those of you on the fence, wondering if you should cut the cord, or how to go about it, I would say take each of the services for a test drive and see if it works for you. All of them give you a free week just to kick the tires. All you need is some sort of streaming device, either a Roku or an Amazon FireStick, or a smart TV with one of the apps already built in. The Roku's and FireSticks are on sale now and can be picked up for around $25.

Once you have a streaming device, try out each of Hulu, YouTubeTV, Sling, ATT, Fubo. See if you like the interface and if you could see yourself using it instead of the cable box. It took us a minute to get used to it, but its second nature now. Don't cancel your cable at this point, just check out the other services. But try to just use the service for the week you are getting the free preview.

Make a list of all the shows you like to watch, and what channel they are on. Then look at each service and see what channels they carry. Cord Cutter News Website has a page that lists all the services and the channels they carry, side by side, so it makes it easy to compare.

Once you have decided which service you like best, go ahead and sign up. None of them have long term commitments like cable does, so if you find you don't like one after a while, it's really easy to switch. Or if you want to binge watch a show that is only on one service, switch to it for a month, then switch back.

The last thing to do, which is the most satisfying, is to call the cable company and drop your service down to just internet. These days, they don't even really try to keep you on. Everyone is doing it and they have resigned themselves to losing customers. I think they half-assed offered us something, but it was just barely better than what we already had. We said no thanks, and they said OK, no problem.

If you want to go hard core and not have any monthly service, but still like the convenience of a cable box with DVR, look at something like Amazon's Fire Recast. It's a little box with a hard drive in it and WiFi. You put it in a place that gets good antenna signal, and then connect it to your home network, and an antenna. Using a FireStick on any TV, it will send the signal across the home network to the FireStick. So you can watch anything your antenna can pick up on any TV, without additional antennas on each TV. PLUS you get DVR. The hard drive in the Recast box will record programs, then you can watch those on any TV with the FireStick. You can even fast forward thru saved shows.

We did antenna only for a while on the upstairs TV. I was too cheap to get another cable box. I tried the Comcast app on the FireStick to use instead of the box, but the app is not ready for prime time, and I had to do all kinds of hacks on the remote to make it work. In the end, it was more work than enjoyment. The antenna was nice for just watching local news and such, But I really wanted cable-only channels and DVR, so a streaming service is what we decided on.

What he said^^^^^

Best thing for me was calling DISH and said "I'll be canceling my account today" .

DISH: your a 15yr loyal customer.

ME: yeah I know it's been great, hasn't it.

DISH: I can lower your bill $60 since your a loyal customer.

ME: That's great!! BUT I took all of your #### out of my house and its in my garage what would you like me to do with it? 

• Haha 1

We use AT&T for internet.  We have YouTube tv. I like it. We had sling for several years, but sling dropped the channel that the Preds games were on. Sling may have brought that channel back but I don't know.  We watch a lot of sports. And Fancy Nancy and Polly Pockets and other stuff my daughter's like. So YouTube tv is a good fit for us.

My wife will read the flyer from Comcast and it will have some outrageously low price advertised. I will then call or go on the website and it is for two years and the price doubles after the first year and equipment is extra and you have to sign up for paperless billing and automatic draft and a 2nd or 3rd tv is extra.  It is a goal of mine to never give Comcast another dime as long as I live. 

Edited by broox

I hate Comcast.  LOL  But I pay them a bunch of money every month.  Lousiest customer service ever.  Not long ago, I was getting their Military History channel and it was one of my favorites along with the History Chanel and a few others.  Then they decide it was a mistake to get it and to keep it i needed to add another package includin g a bunch of sports channels i dont watch.  

10 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

What he said^^^^^

Best thing for me was calling DISH and said "I'll be canceling my account today" .

DISH: your a 15yr loyal customer.

ME: yeah I know it's been great, hasn't it.

DISH: I can lower your bill $60 since your a loyal customer.

ME: That's great!! BUT I took all of your #### out of my house and its in my garage what would you like me to do with it? 

Comcast told me the same thing when I call them and told them the last rate hike was the last straw and the lady said but you have been with us 16 years and give me just a  minute and let me see what I can do. She came back on and said good news, we can cut your bill by 68.00 and I said if you can do it because I am leaving why didn't you just do it to keep me happy in the first place and I took their equipment to them the following day. Now I have moved and as of now I'm using new smart TV's in two rooms on outside HD antenna and on January 10th I will have a brand new Fiber Optic company that has been working all summer to bring service to this area. The package I picked from their offers has the same channels I had with Comcast and their bill is what I was paying Comcast 15 years ago. package I picked is 59.95 for 150 channels +4.95 for each box and I have 2 TV's.  I can't wait!!!!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Comcast told me the same thing when I call them and told them the last rate hike was the last straw and the lady said but you have been with us 16 years and give me just a  minute and let me see what I can do. She came back on and said good news, we can cut your bill by 68.00 and I said if you can do it because I am leaving why didn't you just do it to keep me happy in the first place and I took their equipment to them the following day. Now I have moved and as of now I'm using new smart TV's in two rooms on outside HD antenna and on January 10th I will have a brand new Fiber Optic company that has been working all summer to bring service to this area. The package I picked from their offers has the same channels I had with Comcast and their bill is what I was paying Comcast 15 years ago. package I picked is 59.95 for 150 channels +4.95 for each box and I have 2 TV's.  I can't wait!!!!

Howdy neighbor.... I did the same thing years ago with Optimum Online. Your post is almost verbatim for what they told me. For decades of service, they take and give very little in return. They took away all the outdoor channels that involved guns. Tell me they are not pro2a... Blah!
Not just Comcast though.

Every company pulls the same crap as a last ditch effort to not lose a customer. What I really hate with Comcast Xfi, which I still have is this cable game they play like the others. They take one channel that they know people may like and stick it in a package you do not have. I have mine set up with a favorite list. One day I went to TCM for example and it said you must subscribe to it. I already HAD it, now I have to pay to see ancient movies? Mind you I have almost every channel they offer. What they do? Stick it in another Sports package. I ripped them a new one. Said WTF does old movies need to be buried in a sport package? Pisses me off. 
I also have a house phone I never use. I cannot dump it because my month bill will be more. These companies are nuts.

I wish I could get rid of most of the channels. I may enjoy about 25 or so. No matter how hard you try to deal with them, its for naught. So I started getting rid of boxes with little activity and changed them out for a Roku box. Xfinity has a streaming app on Roku and it works very well. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 12/17/2019 at 7:32 AM, Johnny Rotten said:

I took my Dish dish out to the field and shot the hell out of it.  Therapeutic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1