Any Cord Cutters Here?

analog_kidd

There was a dish in my backyard when we bought our house. Once I was happy with the outside antenna I installed and what I could stream over 6mb DSL (never subscribed to Dish), I removed the dish and told the company to come get it and they said I should keep it so it went in the landfill. The nice post they had it mounted on made a nice place to cantilever a target hanger and it became part of my back yard range. Unfortunately the target is close enough to the post that it is getting rather holey and may have to be replaced at some point. Already getting a bit weak.

13 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

There was a dish in my backyard when we bought our house. Once I was happy with the outside antenna I installed and what I could stream over 6mb DSL (never subscribed to Dish), I removed the dish and told the company to come get it and they said I should keep it so it went in the landfill. The nice post they had it mounted on made a nice place to cantilever a target hanger and it became part of my back yard range. Unfortunately the target is close enough to the post that it is getting rather holey and may have to be replaced at some point. Already getting a bit weak.

That dish would have made a good paper target holder

• Haha 1
On 12/17/2019 at 4:40 PM, Defender said:

I hate Comcast.  LOL  But I pay them a bunch of money every month.  Lousiest customer service ever.  

Same here. I'm a TV and Internet junkie. Can't be without Xfinity. My only gripe is the cost. My service is excellent, so luckily I haven't had to deal with customer service but a few times over the years. I had to laugh when they started running commercials about how they have changed, and now their customer service is better. Yeah right.

I just wish a class action lawsuit would get started over the Regional Sports Fee. If someone wants sports, they pay for it, not the rest of us. That and get the government out of the cable business. 

• Like 1

We cut the cord back in August. While we’ve seen a significant savings, it’s not as much as I’d hoped. We had Comcast Xfinity and that still the only game in town for us. ($114)  I like to watch UT sports, so we still had to find a platform with ESPN. Ended up with Sling TV which is $30 a month. We had Netflix and Amazon Prime before and share that with the kids ($14 & $11). My son share his HULU with us. We ended up cutting our cable bill about $100 or so.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Moped said:

We cut the cord back in August. While we’ve seen a significant savings, it’s not as much as I’d hoped. We had Comcast Xfinity and that still the only game in town for us. ($114)  I like to watch UT sports, so we still had to find a platform with ESPN. Ended up with Sling TV which is $30 a month. We had Netflix and Amazon Prime before and share that with the kids ($14 & $11). My son share his HULU with us. We ended up cutting our cable bill about $100 or so.

That's pretty much our setup and had the same realization. And I suspect that savings will decrease going forward as alternative service providers rates are showing a bit of upward creep. In the end, being able to toggle services on and off may be the only benefit provided they dont start adding contracts (if they feel they have enough market share)

On 12/14/2019 at 9:49 AM, analog_kidd said:

I finally had enough of Comcast charging me $200 for Internets and crappy TV, so we took the plunge and cut the cord. Knocking off the TV part of my service, and just using Internet brought my bill down to $70. We settled on YouTube TV for $50 a month, so that is a total of $120 for both, and a savings of $80 a month.

With the YouTube TV, I get all the channels I ever watch, and I can't really tell much of a difference in quality. We can DVR the shows we like and fast forward thru the commercials.

We are already bought into the Amazon Alexa ecosystem, and already had a FireCube on our main TV. I bought a couple Firesticks for the bedroom and upstairs, when they were on sale for like $25. These work really well for us. They perform well and the video streams to them very well. I did recently install an AC WiFi access point, so I'm sure that helps.

We settled on YouTube TV due to it being one of the few that carry AMC and the Walking Dead. Sounds silly, but it's one of the few shows my wife and I both like, so don't judge. Otherwise, I would probably consider Hulu's Limited commercial plan. I think it is like $10 a month, and you just have to wait a day to watch a show, which we do anyway to be able to skip commercials.

So, anybody else make the cut, or considering to?

Like you I am loaded with amazon Cubes, fire sticks and everything else, I settled for Gigabit speed Comcast Internet, Netflix is free with our T-Mobile account, Amazon Prime is awesome and we have Hulu with no ads, the Disney , I also have the Firecast 4 tuner Amazon box and we could not be happier 

I tried YouTube TV and it was good, but we like the Hulu package better, I worked for cable companies for 20 years and always had it, I will never go back 

We have xfinity for internet and cable. It's ridiculously expense, but my wife is absolutely addicted to Fox News. She is also technologically challenged.

Are there any cord cutting options that provide Fox News? The last time I looked, I couldn't find any. 

53 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

We have xfinity for internet and cable. It's ridiculously expense, but my wife is absolutely addicted to Fox News. She is also technologically challenged.

Are there any cord cutting options that provide Fox News? The last time I looked, I couldn't find any. 

If you keep Xfinity as your internet provider you can watch FOX NEWS online, or on an app on your smart TV. If you get a different provider, just check with them.

Your wife may be technologically challenged, but its sounds like she is very smart in other areas. :up:

On 12/19/2019 at 9:20 PM, Jeb48 said:

Take a 4' length of wood. Like a 2"x2" and jam it in the hole. That can be replaced and viola! You're good.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:20 PM, Jeb48 said:

I got rid of Dish Network about 10 years ago.  I called to cancel, as I was moving.  The rep in the phone told me that I would have to climb up on the roof and remove the dish and send it back to them.  I told them that I wasn't physically able to do that.  (Kind of a lie, I didn't have a way to get on the roof though) I thought that was absurd though.  

15 hours ago, jgradyc said:

According to this comparison matrix, that lists what networks are on what service, Fox News is available on Hulu Live, AT&T, YouTube TV, and Fubo.

We use YouTube TV, and I can't tell the difference between it and Comcast for Fox News. There are a couple of extra remote control clicks you have to do to get to it, but once you do it a few days, it becomes second nature. I'm certainly willing to do an extra click or two to save $80.

We tried using the Fox News App to watch the news. If you have an active Comcast account, you can watch it using the app on a Fire Stick. However, every day, you had to jump thru hoops to log into the account. Had to launch the app, go to login, get a code, open a browser on your phone or PC, go to FoxNews Activate link, enter the code, and wait a moment. You had to do that every time, and it became frustrating. With YTTV you just launch the app, click on the channel and watch. Just like cable. Plus, if you cancel your TV service with Comcast, I'm not sure you qualify for watching it with the app. I've never tried it, so I don't know, but my gut tells me you can use the app only if you have the ability to watch the network on cable.

My suggestion is try the 1 week free trial with any of the services I mentioned above and see if it meets your wife's needs. You might be surprised how easy and comparable it is.

• Like 1